Specter Ops» Forums » Rules

Subject: Last Seen and revealing the Agent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've seen a lot of playthroughs online where the Agent player reveals their identity as soon as the first last seen marker is placed. But in the rules it states that the Agent's identity is only revealed when their figure would be placed on the board, and the Agent's figure is not placed with the last seen marker, so I'm confused what the correct rule is. It seems more thematic to me the it's written in the rules that catching a glimpse of the agent's foot or back as the run past the hunter's peripheral vision would not allow a positive ID, and only a full-on view of the Agent in plain sight would allow that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On Page 4 of the rules (emphasis mine)

"If the agent moved through 1 or more spaces that were visible to a
hunter but didn’t end her move on a visible space, she must place the
“last seen” token and her figure on the last visible space regardless of
how many spaces she moved.

If the agent is seen by 1 or more hunters when she begins her move and
then moves out of sight, she must place the “last seen” token and her
figure
on the last visible space"

edit: Added additional rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurgen Migneaux
Belgium
Wervik
flag msg tools
Damn, I've always just placed the last seen token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eldrion wrote:
Damn, I've always just placed the last seen token.

Many people (myself included) prefer to play that way, despite what the rules say.

Emerson said he wanted to ensure that the cool figures were on the board as often as possible, but to me, placing the figure on the last-seen token breaks the abstraction.

To me:
The figure represents where the agent IS.
The token represents where the agent WAS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK looks like I misread the rules (or maybe my rulebook at home is different?) but I agree it's confusing to put the Agent figure where the agent isn't, but I can be sold on the agent being revealed by running into LOS. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilkens
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My rulebook is at home, but I remember it mentioning that it is an optional variant to use only the Last Seen Token instead of the token and figure. My guess is this might be a response they made in later printings to Rodney Smith's mistake of using only the token in the Watch It Played video.

I prefer using the token only, and find it more thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevekerr25 wrote:
My rulebook is at home, but I remember it mentioning that it is an optional variant to use only the Last Seen Token instead of the token and figure. My guess is this might be a response they made in later printings to Rodney Smith's mistake of using only the token in the Watch It Played video.

That is correct. We also play with this variant as it just adds to the tension...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
stevekerr25 wrote:

Wouldn't it be more thematic to put the figurine?

The way I see it is that once the figure is placed for the first time, the hunters know who you are and can guess more accurately what strategy you might use.

So if you cross a hunter's line of sight, even if you're no longer there, they've seen you. They should know who you are. So the figurine is only there to represent what they saw, not where you are (thus the last seen token underneath).

It makes me think of the game splinter cell. One of the later games would show something like a last seen 'ghost' of your character to show where the AI's last saw you. They saw you, so it showed your entire body and what position you were in. So to me the figurine is like the 'ghost'.

The only way I could think that thematically it makes sense to not place the figurine is if the agent moves so fast they're like a blur to the hunter.

Just my thoughts on it. Though obviously the gameplay is different depending on what you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, the facility is poorly lit so it makes sense to me that the hunter might not be certain who they just saw.

I also think it makes for a stronger game this way. I don't agree with total 100% thematic sense if the gameplay suffers. It's personal but I will continue to play with just the last seen token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
To each their own. For sure gameplay is more important than the small details as to what makes it thematic. You could claim it's poorly lit and maybe they move too fast to make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
I have the exact opposite opinion of Jonathan Starr. For me, thematically, it makes more sense that the figure is not placed.

I think it's better that the identity is not revealed unless the agent is dead in the hunter's sights. If the agent just darted past all that was seen is a blur or a shadow, so it's impossible to determine who it is exactly.

Thematically this works for me, and mechanics-wise I like this better to give the agents a better chance as I think the balance is better this way. This allows the Agent to keep more secrets from the hunters and use advanced bluffing strategies later on.

Including the Figure with the Last Seen token in particular hurts Blue Jay a lot, as it renders her Holo Decoy far less effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.