Aeon's End» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crooked Mask question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Eich
United States
California
flag msg tools
During his unleash it states "Any player gains a corruption and places it on top of their deck. That player shuffles their discard pile into their deck."
Can someone provide clarification for the intent for this? The rulebook states that the deck is never shuffled. Often in games the specific trumps the general, but that's a pretty strong statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ectar wrote:
During his unleash it states "Any player gains a corruption and places it on top of their deck. That player shuffles their discard pile into their deck."
Can someone provide clarification for the intent for this? The rulebook states that the deck is never shuffled. Often in games the specific trumps the general, but that's a pretty strong statement.

The deck is never shuffled unless a card takes precedence over the rules and makes you shuffle the deck.

A rulebook lays the skeleton, the cards put the muscle and flesh on it.

Golden rule: cards take precedence over the normal rules.

When Crooked Mask unleashes, and only when he unleashes, you will shuffle your deck.
It represents your character being confused by the corruption. It actually depicts this very well in my opinion. Best use of corruption I've seen in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Pluim
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
I was actually confused about this as well.

If you don't have any cards in your discard, does that mean that you don't shuffle your deck, and the corruption stays on the top of your deck for next turn?

Or do you always shuffle your deck when you gain a corruption?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
You still shuffle. You shuffle zero cards into your deck.

Crooked Mask is the one nemesis that breaks the no shuffle rule of the game. There is also a general nemesis card that breaks this rule, Gather Darkness.

On page 4 of the rulebook under effect for card anatomy, it says that if a cards effect contradicts this rulebook, then follow the card's effect. This concept should be applied really any text on play mats, cards, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pluimc wrote:
I was actually confused about this as well.

If you don't have any cards in your discard, does that mean that you don't shuffle your deck, and the corruption stays on the top of your deck for next turn?

Or do you always shuffle your deck when you gain a corruption?

When you need to shuffle something into something else, you shuffle any amount between 0 to XXX cards. In that case, as mentioned by Nick, you shuffle 0 cards from your discard pile into your deck, but you still have to shuffle your deck. The idea is to randomize your whole collection of personal cards, so that you don't know what you'll draw next.

This has been mentioned for the turn order deck as well, since one card forces you to shuffle the Nemesis turn order into the deck. If the turn order deck is empty, then you shuffle two Nemesis cards into it, making it essentially a two card deck entirely composed of Nemesis turn order cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
As Nick mentioned, Crooked Mask is the one place where Aeon's End really throws a wrench in your deck building plans as it forces the players to shuffle, but because you can decide who takes corruptions almost everytime one is taken, you can mitigate the effect it has.

For example, I can be the 'corruption guy' and build a deck that doesn't need my deck to be specifically ordered as much to be powerful while another player whose ordering is more important may take very few corruptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.