Subject: Looking for Worker Placement game recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KusHniR
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
As the topic says I'm looking for Worker Placement game.
I have a conflict on which one to pick from these games:

Russian Railroads
Viticulture Essential Edition
Empires: Age of Discovery

I'm looking for game with the most "Meat" , player interaction, and that it will not be more then 3 hours. If it can scale its great.

Other worker Placement games:
I have enjoyed Lords of waterdeep but it has not enough meat for me.
Terra Mystica, Dominant Species one of my friends owns them.
Caylus - I have Magna Carta.
Keyflower - I hate this game.
Agricola/Caverna - to expensive for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Champions of Midgard
The Voyages of Marco Polo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KusHniR
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:

I own Champions of Midgard.
I dont want dice in my WP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
kushnir wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:

I understand there is more dice rolling in Midgard, but in general don't write things off just because there is literally dice in the box.

Given you do like Dominant Species, from a depth perspective, I think Madeira would suit very well. It does literally contain dice, but they are not used in a conventional trashy dice rolling manner at all. They get rolled as part of a round setup and then you buy your choice of worker dice with full information about which sets, matched up with turn order etc., is worth how many coins to obtain to play the round with.

Russian Railroads will probably bore you. just a dull pointfest. Of the three you listed, I'd suggest Age Of Empires easily.

And FYI Keyflower is NOT a worker placement game. And it's genius. You are wrong, you DO like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You mentioned that Agricola/Caverna are too expensive for you, but isn't Viticulture Essential Edition super expensive as well?

I managed to grab an older version (English) of Agricola directly from Lookout Spiel shop for 20 euro! You might want to check out their shop from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jedediah Spencer
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
I can't think of too many good WP that aren't around the same price as Caverna/Agricola.

Look for a game like Stone Age when it's on sale would be my recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture would be my choice out of those 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be tough to find a good wp game without some sort of dice actions. IMO. If you can find a copy Spyrium or Coal Baron maybe or even Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KusHniR
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
kushnir wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:

I understand there is more dice rolling in Midgard, but in general don't write things off just because there is literally dice in the box.

Given you do like Dominant Species, from a depth perspective, I think Madeira would suit very well. It does literally contain dice, but they are not used in a conventional trashy dice rolling manner at all. They get rolled as part of a round setup and then you buy your choice of worker dice with full information about which sets, matched up with turn order etc., is worth how many coins to obtain to play the round with.

Russian Railroads will probably bore you. just a dull pointfest. Of the three you listed, I'd suggest Age Of Empires easily.

And FYI Keyflower is NOT a worker placement game. And it's genius. You are wrong, you DO like it

The part of dice in COM is when u try to kill the creatures, it doesnt effect your workers.
I will check Madeira! and KF is still BLAH !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KusHniR
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:
It's going to be tough to find a good wp game without some sort of dice actions. IMO. If you can find a copy Spyrium or Coal Baron maybe or even Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar.

will check them out !

Jedite21 wrote:
I can't think of too many good WP that aren't around the same price as Caverna/Agricola.

Look for a game like Stone Age when it's on sale would be my recommendation.

SA is to light for me ..

Drugo81 wrote:
You mentioned that Agricola/Caverna are too expensive for you, but isn't Viticulture Essential Edition super expensive as well?

I managed to grab an older version (English) of Agricola directly from Lookout Spiel shop for 20 euro! You might want to check out their shop from time to time.

viticulture is 40$ while agricola/caverna is pass 60$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Russian Railroads, one of the best worker placement.
Depending on your play style (trying different strategies or playing the same) the replay value is not that high. But the expansion makes it better.

I would not recommend Viticulture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
These are the heavy/deep WP games:

Caylus - The granddaddy, and still one of the heaviest.
Russian Railroads - Add expansion for even more depth and variety.
Dominant Species
Yedo - Perhaps the most thematic of all heavy WPs.
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - There's a timing element that really grinds my mental capacities. Add expansion for more depth.
Florenza - Admittedly, I've never played this. But I own it because it appears to be among the heaviest WP games available.
Ground Floor - This one feels unique all around. I don't understand why it doesn't get more attention.
Dungeon Lords - Don't let the cutesy artwork fool you. This is Chvatil. I like Dungeon Petz more, but it teeters on the medium-heavy fence.

ALMOST WORKER PLACEMENT

Kanban: Automotive Revolution - Lacerda likes single-worker games. They feel different to me, but many with a looser definition of WP still consider them to be WP games. I love this game and it's got great depth.
The Gallerist - Same as Kanban; you have a single worker. Great, deep game. And beautiful to boot.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun.

Oh, and if you did decide to try a dice-placement game (worker placement and dice placement are not the same, so stick to your guns), nothing beats the game that brought the mechanic into the light:

Troyes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the ones you mentioned, AoE3 has the most "interaction". Though if you hate Keyflower, I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for, I think Keyflower has a lot of interaction as well.

Carson City
Bruxelles 1893 (if you can find a copy of these)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort is one the best WP games I have ever played. The expansion Belfort: The Expansion Expansion, makes it even more interesting. It has amazing art and mechanics and some area control sprinkled in for scoring. It plays well all the way up to 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had to say keyflower is awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kushnir wrote:
Hi,

Russian Railroads

I'm looking for game with the most "Meat" , player interaction, and that it will not be more then 3 hours. If it can scale its great.

If you want some meat, I would go with Craftsmen or Le Havre. But they will push the 3 hour limit.

+1 toTzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium.
Very interactive. A lot of deep/interesting decisions. Rules arent that heavy, but the strategy planning is mindboggling. Scales naturally 2-5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KusHniR
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
huckins_1971 wrote:
kushnir wrote:
Hi,

Russian Railroads

If you want some meat, I would go with Craftsmen or Le Havre. But they will push the 3 hour limit.

I really want Le Havre ! but its OOP ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matches all your criteria:

Snowdonia - one of the best WP games around. Scales perfectly for all player counts, meaty although not too heavy, plays well under 3 hours. Player interaction is a given with WP games as you are competing for the best WP spots, and here you also compete for 1st player. You can manipulate the resource cube draws from the bag by holding onto resources, which affects everybody.

The game plays smoothly and is different every game due to the order of contract cards coming out of the deck as well as weather effects that change how well you can clear rubble and lay rails on a given turn. There are also a number of mini expansions that change the track layout and provide special rules for that track, which adds to replayability. Wonderful game, hopefully still available near you (it's getting hard to find here).

Matches all your criteria except for price:

The Gallerist - you have a single worker, but that worker can leave behind assistants, and whenever another player goes to a spot where your worker or assistant is you get a "kicked out" action which lets you do stuff out of turn. Artists are common "property" so anything you do to/for an artist affects all players. Visitors that help you acquire resources and meet certain action requirements start in a common pool and can be stolen from players' lobbies. There's lots of interaction here.

Game scales with different setups per player count but the WP spots stay the same so there's a bit less interaction at 2p than at higher player counts. It's still a brilliant game even at 2p though. Play time gets longer with more players. Less than 3 hours even with 4p should be doable but maybe not for a first learning play. With 2p totally doable.

The only issue is the price. It's expensive here and probably there as well. But if you want one of the ultimate meaty worker placement games it's worth saving up or sacrificing the purchase of another game for. It will cure you of your WP wanderlust, make you taller, and grow back your hair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Nilsson
msg tools
Would prefer Russion Railroads. But have a look at Aqua Sphere and Luna too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kushnir wrote:
huckins_1971 wrote:
kushnir wrote:
Hi,

Russian Railroads

I really want Le Havre ! but its OOP ..

Oops, I had no idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Just had to say keyflower is awesome

It is, it is also decidedly NOT a worker placement game. 'The workers' are actually currencies. One of the freshest games of recent times.

As above Vital Lacerda does neat things with 'single worker' worker placements, and I agree, they aren't really worker placement (and are better for the departure).

If meat is the goal. Agricola, Caylus, or Age of Discovery (secondary to Dominant Species). Those will get you some good times. Dominant Species is my personal favourite (although it is a lot closer to being an action draft, but really what is the difference).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation is Empires: Age of Discovery. It's best at or near its upper player limit (4-6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
a +1 to Snowdonia here. Also, Extra! Extra! slid a bit under the radar and has a similar sort of vibe (although it's nowhere near as "tight")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.