Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Using 4 pins to signify 3 hit points. Why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
It is just one of those things that new players keep asking.
Is there any reason for this that I have overlooked in the ruleset?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were filling all of the HP holes with pins, (I do not believe) this was not what CMoN intends. Only one is necessary, moving the pin down as you take damage.

The other three go into the placeholder slots to mark your abilities as you level.

I will also note, that the game comes with additional pins. I had always assumed they provided extra in case any were lost; which is rare and nice of them.

Edit: added parenthetical
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just use a single pin to track wounds, and keep the "extra" 3 pins for that glorious day when someone goes "ultra red" again. Nelly did it once with the "Chaos Longbow". I know it'll happen again...
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I will also note, that the game comes with additional pins. I had always assumed they provided extra in case any were lost; which is rare and nice of them.

They are for the Ultrared mode!
This is optional. You may continue to collect XP after max, again filling the XP-Bar to acquire the second orange skill and then the second and third red skill!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
Ahh. Thanks for that guys.

We just filled the board with all the available pins. We'll stop doing that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

They are for the Ultrared mode!
This is optional. You may continue to collect XP after max, again filling the XP-Bar to acquire the second orange skill and then the second and third red skill!!

I was about to say the same but then I remembered that if you don't own Wulfsburg (which you should btw), it's entirely possible that you've never heard of Ultrared Mode since it was introduced on page 10 of the Wulfsburg rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xavierjackson wrote:

I teach a fair number of new folks how to play. Almost to a person, every time a new group starts setting up their boards, the first instinct is to "Fill every hole"... Must be something primal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QorDaq wrote:
xavierjackson wrote:

I teach a fair number of new folks how to play. Almost to a person, every time a new group starts setting up their boards, the first instinct is to "Fill every hole"... Must be something primal.

yup... I did the same, and right after finishing filling, I though.. WTH am I doing?? /removes pins LOL

that said you know what is actually silly.. that they actually mark 3 wounds on the board. It should be only 0, 1, 2... after that the character is just dead. Why would you ever mark 3? I being waiting for a situation when this is needed, but I cant find it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
chang_1910 wrote:
QorDaq wrote:
xavierjackson wrote:

yup... I did the same, and right after finishing filling, I though.. WTH am I doing?? /removes pins LOL

that said you know what is actually silly.. that they actually mark 3 wounds on the board. It should be only 0, 1, 2... after that the character is just dead. Why would you ever mark 3? I being waiting for a situation when this is needed, but I cant find it...

We leave the dashboard out, put the 3rd wound marker on, and place the mini on the dashboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
QorDaq wrote:
xavierjackson wrote:

It's for the soon to be released Restore Life enchantment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
I start with the marker on 3 to indicate I have 3 HP and move it down as I take damage, when it gets to zero I die and as mentioned above put the mini on the dashboard and leave it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you put pegs in all the holes except the 0, you could have 6 HP. You just move the left-most peg toward the 0, once it gets there, remove the peg. So you'd have 3 pegs, suffer a damage, the left pegs moves to the 0 and is removed, you suffer 2 more hgits and the second left-most peg gets to the 0 and is removed, then you have one peg left, which is your last 3 HP. Once that hits the 0, you're dead.

I suppose it could be used to make the difficulty easier or to make a tank character. How about a Silver painted peg you put in if you equip armor and use it to absorb damage then when it hits the 0 (after 2 damage) you need to unequip it and repair the armor. Strong armor would give you the 2 extra pags absorbing 3 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melriken wrote:
I start with the marker on 3 to indicate I have 3 HP and move it down as I take damage, when it gets to zero I die and as mentioned above put the mini on the dashboard and leave it out.

This would make it an "HP bar" instead of a "Wound Bar" but, even though I never thought of it before, I like the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:
QorDaq wrote:
xavierjackson wrote:

The Healing enchantment "Recovers 1 wound (up to his starting total)...so of course they would have 3 as a peg since that is your starting life and would indicate full health. I guess you could also just take the peg out?

Also, the rulebook states to put the wound marker on the 0, not the 3. It's a wound track, not a health track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:

LOL LOL LOL
likely..

EDIT hmm... room for some homebrew? lol

Swaygodeus wrote:
The Healing enchantment "Recovers 1 wound (up to his starting total)...so of course they would have 3 as a peg since that is your starting life and would indicate full health. I guess you could also just take the peg out?

but they don't have "3" they have 4 marks 0,1,2,3. One of those (0 or 3) is not needed.

Swaygodeus wrote:
Also, the rulebook states to put the wound marker on the 0, not the 3. It's a wound track, not a health track.

hmm.. exactly... is a wound track, but you never need to actually mark "3"
if you put the wound marker on 0, take one wound, move it to 1, take one wound, move it to 2, take one wound... move it to... oh wait no, just remove the survivor out of play. You never would need to mark 3, because you die at 3.
Unless like @hoodwind you just want to see it with 3 wounds on it (btw sadist (jk of course )

and if it was a "health tracker" then the "0" would be unneeded. A character that die with 3 wounds, never needs 4 mark on a tracker.

of course is not a big deal, and is not like is a broken / contradictory rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.