Subject: 5 players - what do I need? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I have had this game on my wishlist for a while, but our gaming group is regularly 5 players. It occurred to me to check if any of the expansions bring this to 5 players, and I have had trouble nailing that down from the basic descriptions of the various expansions.

So here I am asking the reliable Geek. After getting the base game, what do I need for 5 players? Is it just any of the ship expansions (including Pirates)? Is the board cramped if you don't have one of the Rim big box expansions?

I want to get the game to the table with minimum cost/fuss and see how the group likes it before investing heavily in expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your options are:

UK edition of the base box, comes with a fifth ship (the Artful Dodger) and a conveniently larger box. Probably out of print.
Artful Dodger ship expansion. Probably out of print.
Jetwash ship expansion.
Esmeralda ship expansion.
Pirates & Bounty Hunters small-box expansion, adds two ships.

All of these are new types of ship, not more "standard" Fireflies.

Or, of course, just copy one of the ship cards and work up a new miniature and drive core.

The board needn't be crowded - the unexpanded base game doesn't have a huge amount of player interaction anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Alabaster Smitty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an additional note, this is one of those games where adding more people (within reason of course) largely only extends the game length, rather than disrupts the basic gameplay. With the base, you could probably play 6 without really strongly affecting the options players have with adding crew and getting equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really recommend P&BH since it both adds two new ships and new mechanics that provide new ways to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztian Posch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Loads of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Szajko wrote:
Loads of time.

Yeah, I anticipated setting aside our entire gaming session for a single game of Firefly.

We have other games like that, so it's not a big deal.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I'm liking the idea of adding Pirates and Bounty Hunters for both the extra ships and the interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get started with minimal cost/fuss, then grab the base game and another ship. If you've got something to proxy for another ship, then there are lots of custom ship cards available here at the 'Geek. If you've got a crafty hand, producing a quality PNP from one of the many here is a cinch. If you're interested, I can post some thread links.

Look for your first few games to go at least 3+ hours with all five of you. But that gets trimmed considerably with experience. We played a 5 player game recently with 2 veterans & 3 newbies. I had all official stuff + customs included, gave a lengthy explanation, and the total time invested was just under 3 hours. In all fairness, I had already set everything up before the rest of the gang arrived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At gencon they were selling the base game in a larger box, it seems the UK box may be the new standard size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cynchwyrm wrote:
5 players - what do I need?

An entire afternoon/evening!
*Ba dum, cha!*
Thank you! I'm here till Thursday, tip your waitstaff...

Will also depend on your scenario. Five new(er) players + teaching and pauses for rules lookup, with "First time in the Captains Chair" you are looking at a solid three hours. With any of the others, probably 4-5 hours.

My concern with the suggestions for adding P&BH is, if any bounties are on player ships (player interaction), that can *really* cause the game to extend out (for targeted player that could = "drag on"). But it's also the only way to slow down a player going for the final goal in a story, so take that with a grain of salt.

Great game, but five new captains, plan on a meal break!

~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get the 2nd printing of the game, i believe it now comes with the Artful Dodger, so you could play 5 players with base game only. (this is what the GF9 guy said at GenCon anyway)

Pirates and Bounty Hunters expansion is good too since it adds more game options and 2 new ships. If the bounties and PVP aspect doesn't appeal to you, then you might be better off picking up Jetwash and Esmeralda instead.

Although i would think the thing you want the most in a 5-player game is Time. Lots and lots of time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.