Great War at Sea 2: The North & Baltic Seas» Forums » Rules

Subject: Puzzled By Airships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mo Caraher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, we are using the rules & scenario book that shipped with this game (as that's all we have).
Rules c. 2000
Scenario Book c.1998

And apologies, in advance, if we've simply overlooked something entirely obvious.

We've set up North Sea Scenario #11, Zeppelin Danger, and have been halted by near-complete paralysis over what to do with the Airships.

The rules governing Airships (17.0) indicate that the only thing airships really do is reveal the number and nature of ships in a Fleet.
Yet:

- 5 VP are awarded to The Allies for each zeppelin destroyed. How do they destroy zeppelins? The Allies do have the use of a few aircraft but we see no suggestion anywhere that they may be used against zeppelins.
Based on the info available to us the only way a zep will be destroyed is if it's aloft during a Gale.

- In the Weather rules (11.73) there are several conditions in which it states "aircraft and airships may not attack". Nowhere do we see any indication that airships may attack, let alone how to administer this.

I realize that there are supplements that likely contain more detailed rules to govern zeppelins, but those came out 8-10 years after the rules & scenarios I refer to.

Any assistance will sure be appreciated, as we're at a stand-still.

Edit: I saw reference to something about airships in "rules section 22", but I forget where I saw that. Now, the rules in this box only go up to 19, so....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
Catalunya, Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules now in front of me, but i remember some rule for flak somwhere at the end of the rules. Or maybe is a house rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
Catalunya, Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have all the reason!!!!. There is not any AA rule. But you can try this:

In Clear turns, Fleets can attack at Zeppelins in thesame Sea Zone. Each BB, BC, CV and CL has 1 AA Factor. Divide the total by 6. This is the number of dice you roll. Each 6 eliminated one Zeppelin.

I've played two or three times this scenario and always with this rule. I don't know where i read or if it's a house rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Miguel - thanks for that. I think we'll work that in.

We were also thinking that, given there are a *few* seaplanes, we would work up something similar in which those could potentially destroy an airship.
First, we want to find out, if possible, how easy or difficult a task that actually was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.