Support:

Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear BGG,

My son turns 8 on Sunday and he loves Pokemon Go. I am considering getting him some Pokemon cards for his birthday, mainly for him to collect but possibly so that we could play a couple of games.

I have played plenty of CCG's (Magic, Game of Thrones, Call of Cthulhu, Netrunner (old and new)) but never Pokemon.

I have no idea what to get and when I visited a web store I was really confused by all the different stuff which is available.

I figure that from a collectability point of view it doesn't matter what I get, but if we want to also be able to play, how much do I need?

Any games played will only be among the two of us, so it doesn't have to be the most recent or the best stuff...

If possible, please take a look at what is available at this webstore to get an idea of what is available:
http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/lek_och_gadgets/bradspel_spel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at that site, I would pick up the two Steam Siege theme decks. I've played them online and they are well built for theme decks. And they would be great for learning the game and playing against each other. That's all you would need to play the game.

And since you also want something for collectibility, I would pick up one of the tins. You get 4 booster packs which could get you some nice cards and you are guaranteed an ultra rare EX card. And the tin is great for storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robot_romeo wrote:
Looking at that site, I would pick up the two Steam Siege theme decks. I've played them online and they are well built for theme decks. And they would be great for learning the game and playing against each other. That's all you would need to play the game.

And since you also want something for collectibility, I would pick up one of the tins. You get 4 booster packs which could get you some nice cards and you are guaranteed an ultra rare EX card. And the tin is great for storage.

can't top this advice. have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for the advice!

Do you know if the Pokemon found in the Steam Siege set the same as Pokemon which are found in the Pokemon Go app? I'm mainly wondering if he will recognize them from the game.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokemon Go only has Generation 1 Pokemon. Looking at the decklists on Bulbapedia, there aren't many Gen 1 characters in the Steam Seige decks. Decks usually focus on the current gen, in this case Gen 6. Only the "Gears of Fire" deck has a Meowth-Persian and Ponyta-Rapidash line.

If you really want decks with more Gen 1, try and find some of the older decks from this year and last:

Roaring Skies: Storm Rider
has Zapdos, Electrode-Voltorb, Pikachu, Exeggcute-Exeggutor.

Ancient Origins: Iron Tide
has Eevee-Vaporeon, Magikarp-Gyrados, Meowth-Persian.

Ancient Origins: Stone Heart
has Oddish-Gloom-Vileplume, Porygon.

Breakthrough: Burning Spark
has Pikachu-Raichu, Magnemite-Magnetom, Doduo-Dodrio.

Breakpoint: Wave Slasher
has Psyduck-Golduck, Slowpoke, Shellder-Cloyster.

Breakpoint: Electric Eye
has Electabuzz, Drowzee-Hypno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Starbäck
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:
Dear BGG,

My son turns 8 on Sunday and he loves Pokemon Go.

Probably he has one or a few favourites? Try to find decks with them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you want pokemon from pokemon go, you should buy stuff from the generations set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laiernie wrote:
if you want pokemon from pokemon go, you should buy stuff from the generations set.

Thanks, that is what I ended up getting. I did some additional research and figured out that 54%/27%/84% of the C/UC/R cards in Generations are Pokemon found in Pokemon GO. Only 16%/10%/4% of the C/UC/R cards in Steam Siege are found in GO.

So finally I bought a "Pokemon 20th Anniversary Red & Blue Venusaur EX Collection Box". My son absolutely loved it! Recognizing the different pokemon were absolute key for the success. Actually being able to play the game seems a bit distant so I'm not so concerned about being able to build decks.

He also got some money from his grandparents and has asked me to pick up the "Pokemon 20th Anniversary Red & Blue Charizard Collection Box". As there are only 115 different cards in the set (and only 41 different common cards) I expect him to get a considerable amount of duplicates.

I also found out that there is a new set coming in November (Evolutions) fokusing mainly on the old pokemon found in GO, so I'll suggest that he saves the remainder of his money to pick up a couple of boosters then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.