Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm loving Grimslingers & it's universe. But I'm afraid that this isn't enough. Having tasted this world Stephen has created, I want more.

I can't imagine he's been sitting idol after finishing Grimslingers.

So my question for Stephen is, what comes next? Could you give us any hint say to what you're working on? Wether or not it's Grimslinger related. What are your future plans for Grimslingers?

& Please tell me it's an enormous adventure game with highly detailed miniatures. I may be joking here (but secretly, deep down, it's all I want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Keen
United States
Keenes
Il
flag msg tools
'Obvious' is the most dangerous word in mathematics. Eric Temple Bell
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm loving Grimslingers & it's universe. But I'm afraid that this isn't enough. Having tasted this world Stephen has created, I want more.

I can't imagine he's been sitting idol after finishing Grimslingers.

So my question for Stephen is, what comes next? Could you give us any hint say to what you're working on? Wether or not it's Grimslinger related. What are your future plans for Grimslingers?

& Please tell me it's an enormous adventure game with highly detailed miniatures. I may be joking here (but secretly, deep down, it's all I want

A miniatures game never crossed my mind. I would be all over that. Grimslingers is so good. Good job, Stephen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No miniatures, please. We have enough bloated adventure games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:

Agreed. My shelf can only take so more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree that there are enough mini games. I'm hoping for more co-op stories personally!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Rasmussen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe that I have said a few times about GS 2 is being worked on currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crblackhawk wrote:
I do believe that I have said a few times about GS 2 is being worked on currently.

Yup! It's just not clear what that means - is it an expansion? stand alone expansion? New edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see this thread popping up. I WOULD LOVE TO TELL YOU WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING TO EXPAND GRIMSLINGERS!

Sorry, no miniatures...well maybe just ONE instead of a meeple (stretch goal?!).

I'm going to repeat myself a few times in the coming months but let me start here with my plans for Grimslingers!

*takes a deep breath*

There will be no expansions to Grimslingers 1. I think what people actually want is more of the world and story, and don't really care what mechanics are attached to it (as long as they aren't bad).

Not that I'm saying the mechanics in Grimslingers 1 aren't good, they worked well and did the job, but they are limited and make it difficult to expand the co-op part of the game.

If I'm really going to give fans the opportunity to explore the Forgotten West and expand the story, I need to make a whole new game with mechanics better equipped to do that.

Good news is, I started building that game the day I finished Grimslingers 1!

The focus of Grimslingers 2 will not be dueling your friends, though you likely will be able to duel each other.

The two main modes will be campaign, and "OAS" (as I'm currently calling it).

OAS = Open Adventure System. Basically, it's just a system designed to let you go explore, unlock new content (I'll explain that in a bit), find random quests, delve into the deepest parts of the Forgotten West and so on.

My hope with the OAS is to build a system that lets players also write their own campaigns, much like D&D does. It's a lofty goal, but I'm going to try and pull it off.

My other hope with the OAS is to give people a reason to keep playing the game once the story is done. In Grimslingers 1, players will have come to love the setting, characters and lore, but are left in the dust (pun intended) when the story ends. Sure, you could re-play the story but there isn't really any incentive, and of course you still have the versus mode...but co-op is the best part.

So in the OAS/Campaign, instead of having "levels" like in Grimslingers 1, there will be an achievements/unlock sheet (comes with the game but easy to print out more/new ones for new content). Basically, it's a list of things you can try and check off (achieve) and unlock.

For instance, you could sit down for a play session and decide you want to check off "Defeat the Beebop Spider Queen". So you'll start the game, figure out where she is and then go and hunt her down (it won't be easy to do of course). Once you kill her, you check her off your list.

You'll also be able to check off certain items or characters you find. For instance, the beebop spider queen might have a chance to drop several different rare items. When you get one of them, you check it off / unlock it, so that the next time you start the game you can choose it as a starting item.

The system is being made more with horizontal progression in mind so that you could take your achievement/unlock sheet to any play group and fit right in, with everyone still being on a relatively even playing field even if they are new.

The new combat system is not really a card game and it doesn’t have simultaneous action selection. Each player will have a booklet, with various skills. In paticular, things called “skill arrays”. Skill arrays are a group of skills all relating to a paticular thing, such as the pistols, swords, etc.

Skills within an array weave together to create more of a story moment and more context to what you’re trying to do. I don’t expect everyone to love this system, but I am loving it so far! Skills usually involve some sort of quick mini-game, like the face-off mechanic in Grimslingers 1, though they are varied.

For example, in the Rifle array, you can use the skill “find cover”. That has it’s own quick mini-game. If you find cover, you can then resolve “sharpshooter” and start picking people off. If you don’t find cover, you can try and use the “point blank” skill, which has a mini-game that involves trying to wait for just the right moment to fire as your opponent charges you.

It might sound like it’d take a long time to resolve one person’s turn but it doesn’t. My aim is always quick and fun and easy to learn. I’m really trying to make Grimslingers 2 much easier to learn and more straightforward than Grimslingers 1.

And I want the game to have more out of combat activities. Right now I have it designed where you can pick pocket, burglarize, pick locks, etc.

As for the actual story, it will revolve around 4 main characters (new characters not in Grimslingers 1), and I’m planning to have each player trying to accomplish their own objective, so it’ll be a bit of a tug of war on decisions for getting your teammates to do what you want, instead of what they want.

All of the characters in Grimslingers 1 will make an appearance. You will learn a lot more about Icarus and the Ethereals, and the whole setting in general!

Long post, sorry. Let me know if you have any questions about what I shared!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Keen
United States
Keenes
Il
flag msg tools
'Obvious' is the most dangerous word in mathematics. Eric Temple Bell
mbmbmbmbmb
Minis or no minis, that sounds awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omg yes! When can I back this! Lol all joking aside, don't rush it. Take your time & make it awesome. It sounds really cool so far. Can't wait to see how it evolves over the next few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
Omg yes! When can I back this! Lol all joking aside, don't rush it. Take your time & make it awesome. It sounds really cool so far. Can't wait to see how it evolves over the next few years.

I'm hoping it doesn't take TOO long. Though, the art will take awhile. It will likely be even more art heavy than Grimslingers 1. Grimslingers 1 didn't have any landscape pictures or scenes really. I just didn't have the time, but now I do so...expect awesome illustrations of the different locales!

I think I might have to break the campaign into episodes, release new episodes as expansions. That way I can release the game much sooner, once you're done ep 1, play some OAS and wait for ep 2, etc.

And, glad y'all think it sounds cool. Hoping to show off combat in a month or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:

Don't you know that good board games today are all about the fantastic toy factor of miniatures? Why miniatures can single handedly sell complete crap in a box. Seriously try kick starting a game that literally contains a lump of bovine excrement with colored sprinkles, some pretty dice (as a stretch goal,) and some really super detailed over priced miniatures that cause instant nerdgasms when looked upon. By golly you will be a freakin millionare! Everything is better with minatures! EVERYTHING! Why? Because kickstarter tells me so and people with OCD, collecting habits, and hoarding disorders. Like taking money from a baby...(why does a baby have money or wait ..is it candy?)..anyways everyone knows "imagination" is for old people.

Sure people will complain that there is a cow patty in the box and they aren't sure how to paint it. Others will defend it and say it's a unique part of the theme. Others will complain of the smell. Some will say that the game is unfinished, but you just have to say in your poorly written and edited rule book (because you had to spend all your resources on the miniatures of course) the game rules are what the players want them to be. Also Miniatures people! MINIATURES!

Sure your project will be delivered at least a year past the promised date if not more, but it's ok, you have freaking awesome miniatures in your game. Everyone will forgive you for your thin veneer of a board game because your miniatures are just so awesome they would recommend your game for that alone. Why not just make minatures alone? Well I'm not sure why but people lose their freakin minds when they are combined with a boardgame project. Especially when they are stretch goals and exclusive. People really like that. Also think about startrek or starwars licenses. like printing money. oh hey! IT is printing money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So ... any chance of additional tall tales, or is Grimslingers I basically done now? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:

So ... any chance of additional tall tales, or is Grimslingers I basically done now? Thanks!

Hmmm, did you see my post?

Grimslingers 1, as far as I'm concerned, will not be getting expansions. Grimslingers 2 is a new game, specifically focused on progressing the story (tall tales).

I need a new game system/mechanics in order to properly continue the story, so that's what I'm doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could provide some unused art so that community members could create new enemies to further expand GS1. In my own opinion I think this is the only shortcoming the game has because after a few playthroughs 6 enemies just isnt enough.

Either way, im on board for the new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
brkmrtn wrote:
Maybe you could provide some unused art so that community members could create new enemies to further expand GS1. In my own opinion I think this is the only shortcoming the game has because after a few playthroughs 6 enemies just isnt enough.

Either way, im on board for the new version.

Well actually, Kickstarter backers could back the "VIP" package, which had photoshop templates to create your own signatures, events, grimslingers and items.

I didn't include templates for creatures...but it'd be pretty easy.

What i'm getting at is that if fans want to expand GS1, I have no issues with providing templates for them to do so and pop in whatever art they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to get some player feedback on a few early design details for Grimslingers 2.

Like I stated previously, the two main game modes are campaign and the open adventure system (OAS).

Here is what I currently have designed for the "gameplay loop". Please let me know if you think this sounds interesting and most important of all, fun. Let me know if you have questions about any specific part!

The whole point is to give players lots of stuff to do without writing craploads of campaign content. i.e. do this adventure mode while you wait for the next campaign to release.

Just to refresh your memory, players will have a progress tracker for each character (something easily printable and not fancy, will be written on).

The gameplay loop is designed to be 30 - 90 minutes, based on the chosen objective.

This duration may vary based on how much progress the player has already made within the game and how knowledgeable they are in regards to the objective (as in, if they already know where the spider queen is, they don't need to search the Forgotten West for that information).

Setup - Customize yourself based on what you've unlocked in previous game sessions.

1. Select a Grimslinger (1 of 4)

2. Select up to 2 Companions (look at what companions you have unlocked on the progress record).

3. Craft your weapon (look at what weapon pieces you have unlocked and then draw them from the weapon deck and place them on your character sheet).

4. Players decide on an objective (these are 30-90 minute type tasks such as acquiring an item, exploring an area, killing a boss, etc).

5. Place your character on one of your unlocked starting nodes (again, players would refer to the progress record).

Adventure - Work your way towards your objective and increase your power along the way. Players will encounter sidequests, a plethora of random events, a wide range of monsters with 40 different modifiers that change up combat, acquire curses that dramatically alter their session and unlock new content/customizations.

1. Move. Players can move 3 spaces on a path, or 2 spaces off the path. (square grid map, not nodes, but I'm undecided on how exactly i want to design the map).

2. Resolve. Resolve the location you are on after moving. This can be any of the following: Delve, Establishment, Landmark, Path, Wilderness.

Delves are randomized "dungeons" with traps, specific events, loot and challenging boss battles for a chance to acquire some epic gear/companion unlocks. They can be anything from a haunted forest, a descent into hell, a ghost town and so on.

Establishments are places to acquire side quests, buy services, find information (see what the locals are saying about stuff).

Landmarks are unique points of interest. They vary wildly in what they offer. Some offer services, some offer difficult challenges for unlocks, some offer transportation methods, etc.

Paths are the safest and, at times, fastest way around the Forgotten West.

The Wilderness is where players will spend most of their time. They are the most dangerous and often the only way to an objective. They are where you'll experience the most varied and random events, as well as get into fights.

3. Warm Up. Players will start the game "cold" and "warm up" as they progress towards their objective. This is essentially leveling, though it starts over again every session. It also serves as an "information gate" to prevent new players from being overwhelmed with options (there are many!).

Warming up temporarily unlocks new arrays/abilities for each character. For instance, their stats might improve or they may unlock more advanced arrays for their weapon.

Achieve - Players will either succeed in achieving their objective or fail.

1. If an objective is accomplished or failed, it typically represents the end of a session.

2. If an objective is failed, it can only be attempted again in a different session (start the game over fresh and cold).

3. If players want, they may continue their current session but must choose a new objective (not the one they achieved or failed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Ball
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The OAS is exactly what I had hoped to find in Grimslingers, so I'm thrilled about this and can't wait to try it out.

For SETUP and OBJECTIVE, any chance we might see/setup a scenario where the objective is to transport the package (someone) safely from one location to another? Would be fun to have the package contribute to the fighting scenario (if they weren't grimslingers) or require extra defense from your grimslingers. Curious as to what other objectives we might see outside of eliminating a threat.

Also, really love the earlier thoughts about skill arrays and their mini games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.