$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 91.61

5,945 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

J.D. Hall
msg tools
Maybe it's because everyone is into oral these days....

http://us.cnn.com/2016/09/07/health/teen-pregnancy-contracep...

It's all about the rubbers, according to the study. The abstinence folks, of course, disagree.

Hilarity ensues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they are puling out all the stops?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion about that poll has my attention wrapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's because they are on their cell phones so much and never go outside so they don't interact with other teens as much. Back in my day we didn't have anything else to do but drink and fuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I think it's because they are on their cell phones so much and never go outside so they don't interact with other teens as much. Back in my day we didn't have anything else to do but drink and fuck.
Maybe the cell phone RF is killing their sperm. Go ahead kids, take another picture of your junk and send it to your girlfriends, you're doing us all a favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumbs because this is an interesting and important subject, as well, this new development is also interesting to note.

If I may be so bold speaking for many, a chief problem the Right has with the progressive Left is seemingly the Left's inability to string two propositions together, much less more than that. And, they tout themselves as the group of reason.

The Left creates the problem and then pats itself on the back for pointing out the problem and subsequently possibly another pat if they mitigate that problem. In this case, it is the plethora of unwed young mothers. The nascency in the 1950s is the simultaneous diminution of tradition based family values and the rise of female emancipation and sexual liberation. Parenthetically, this is the same thinking underlying Muslim female liberation, paraphrased as women's liberation does not necessarily mean promiscuousness.

The point is not that a number of girls are getting pregnant, rather that they're getting pregnant outside of marriage. My mother just turned 18 when she became pregnant with me, but she was married and had a husband with a trade and they formed a viable family unit. She may as well have been 15 if she were emotionally mature enough; it doesn't matter. Bringing in the data as to whether the teen is married or not is really the heart of the issue, and then you will see how the discussion changes entirely.

The very high rate of unwed mothers as compared to pre-WWII is all the more important today with the complete emancipation of women and the implicit opportunities that affords them. That a 15 or 17 year old gets pregnant is a life-limiting event. Forget about being that executive or doctor. (Sliding in here is the progressive idea that society ought to then provide anything and everything to that young mother, a compete living, nanny included, so as to afford her those opportunities anyway.)

Granted, this issue is an exemplar of the difference between Left and Right concerning personal responsibility.

I think the Left is correct in that if the immature will be having sex, then they ought to have the knowledge and means to do it safely and perhaps somewhat more wisely.

And yet, I think the Right is also correct in that everything surrounding sex education sanctions and facilitates teen-agers having sex and getting pregnant. It's a normal OK thing to do.

The Right's tradition-based, family-oriented, frequently mocked value system is the way better answer, in my opinion, that leads to better everything. The Left continues to attack and erode this as much as possible in favour of a subsidized libertine lifestyle. When the obvious associated problems of such a lifestyle, which have been long pointed to by the Right, comes to fruition, now you guys are looking for a pat on the back for reducing the very same problem. It's like the guy who gave the kids matches runs over with a bucket of water to fight the fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Thumbs because this is an interesting and important subject, as well, this new development is also interesting to note.

If I may be so bold speaking for many, a chief problem the Right has with the progressive Left is seemingly the Left's inability to string two propositions together, much less more than that. And, they tout themselves as the group of reason.

The Left creates the problem and then pats itself on the back for pointing out the problem and subsequently possibly another pat if they mitigate that problem. In this case, it is the plethora of unwed young mothers. The nascency in the 1950s is the simultaneous diminution of tradition based family values and the rise of female emancipation and sexual liberation. Parenthetically, this is the same thinking underlying Muslim female liberation, paraphrased as women's liberation does not necessarily mean promiscuousness.

The point is not that a number of girls are getting pregnant, rather that they're getting pregnant outside of marriage. My mother just turned 18 when she became pregnant with me, but she was married and had a husband with a trade and they formed a viable family unit. She may as well have been 15 if she were emotionally mature enough; it doesn't matter. Bringing in the data as to whether the teen is married or not is really the heart of the issue, and then you will see how the discussion changes entirely.

The very high rate of unwed mothers as compared to pre-WWII is all the more important today with the complete emancipation of women and the implicit opportunities that affords them. That a 15 or 17 year old gets pregnant is a life-limiting event. Forget about being that executive or doctor. (Sliding in here is the progressive idea that society ought to then provide anything and everything to that young mother, a compete living, nanny included, so as to afford her those opportunities anyway.)

Granted, this issue is an exemplar of the difference between Left and Right concerning personal responsibility.

I think the Left is correct in that if the immature will be having sex, then they ought to have the knowledge and means to do it safely and perhaps somewhat more wisely.

And yet, I think the Right is also correct in that everything surrounding sex education sanctions and facilitates teen-agers having sex and getting pregnant. It's a normal OK thing to do.

The Right's tradition-based, family-oriented, frequently mocked value system is the way better answer, in my opinion, that leads to better everything. The Left continues to attack and erode this as much as possible in favour of a subsidized libertine lifestyle. When the obvious associated problems of such a lifestyle, which have been long pointed to by the Right, comes to fruition, now you guys are looking for a pat on the back for reducing the very same problem. It's like the guy who gave the kids matches runs over with a bucket of water to fight the fire.

Oh my goodness. Like kids were never screwing each other before the bad liberals said it was okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
isaacc wrote:

interesting take on human sexuality, marriage, and family. Yet part of the issue is that prior to the 1960s, these kinds of things (unwed mothers, unwed teen mothers) was simply not discussed. Ditto for homosexuality, domestic abuse of women and children, and sex outside of marriage. As my mother, the good Roman Catholic put it, my father was the only man she ever slept with. She never said, however, she waited until they were married.

Unwed mothers, back when I was a kid, were basically shunted off somewhere (an friendly aunt, grandparents, etc.) that was out of town in order to give birth and give the child up for adoption. Isaac is correct in that social censure was part of the reason people waited until marriage to have children or hurriedly married if someone came up pregnant.

There are losses to the change in the traditional family structure to be certain. There are also many, many changes which many of us (though I hesitate to speak for others) find to be positive. Pretty much in line with any other great social change.

I would disagree, and disagree sharply, that sex education "promotes" teenage sexuality. I had one health class (age 12) and that was the summation of my sex education. It really wasn't about sex, either. It was about puberty. But my fellow teens were horny as hell and sex was fairly common among my fellow high school students. In short, I don't think you need to do a thing to promote sex among teenagers going through the first hormonal rush of their lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.