Popular Tags: [View All]
ilia deno
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
hi,

I'm trying to figure out how the start of fight effects happen:

Is the Sins player allowed to play all of his "start of fight" sins cards at once? And if so, do all of their effects for this fight stack? Or are the sins cards limited to once per trigger?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Sin's Player is only ever allowed one Card and one Activation per Hero turn.
This card can be played, according to the conditions on the card, from the time the Hero spends an activation token until the time that the turn moves to the next Hero. But only one card, total, per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
Does the Sin's reaction to a Hero turn not count as a separate turn for Cards? I've been playing it as allowing one card on the Hero turn, then another card during combat on a Reaction, and have been wondering if that was incorrect.

My games also have a much higher Sin win rate than Hero, so I've been wondering if we've been missing something regardless. (At first, we also missed the part about reserve heroes entering with upgrade cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's one card and/or one reaction per turn. That's the entire hero turn. So, for instance, Karl activates, flipping his Action Token over. This opens up the window for the Sins Player to use one card, taking into account the conditions the card states for it to be played. One card total during the turn. At the end of Karl's actions, the Sins Player can choose to react once, per their legal Reactions in the book.

All action/reaction events are resolved, and the turn goes to Thorley. The cycle begins anew.

In short: ONE Card per Hero turn (the ENTIRE turn; movement, combat, city actions, etc.), in addition, ONE reaction per hero turn. The most the Sins Player can EVER do on a hero turn is one card and one reaction.

This might explain your high Sins Player win rate. BUT I've seen that when it comes to the first few games, the Sins Player will win more because FAITH requires more in the way of planning and tight execution. As far as the Upgrade Cards go... well, yes, we missed that, too, the first few times! Totally explained a lot.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
Nice to hear I wasn't the only one who missed the upgrade card thing. I kept stopping after the sentence in player death that read "place that character's upgrades next to the 5 in the general inventory" because the next few paragraphs didn't continue that point lol.

After a thorough re-read of the manual today, I found another important detail I overlooked as well. When the Apocalypse track has the Sin player "Reveal an Apocalypse Card", the manual spells out that they in fact reveal TWO cards and choose one from them, putting the other on the bottom of the deck. I guess I am already guilty of skimming the rules, but I never would have guessed that when the Track itself only mentions one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
msg tools
The manual says that reactions count as turns for playing sin cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AstorSigma wrote:
The manual says that reactions count as turns for playing sin cards.

From the RuleBook, pg. 24:

”Only one Sin card may be played during each Turn. That includes both the Hero’s Turn and the Sin Player’s possible Reaction to it. As a reminder of that, each Sin card should be played in front of the Sins Player, and kept there until the end of the Turn. When the next Hero starts his Turn, move that Sin card to a discard pile."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
msg tools
For some reason when I first read that section, I thought it was saying that reactions were turns. Reading it again, I can see what they were trying to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.