$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game I played recently made me wonder if we needed some different mechanic for treasure for the Skald and the Hunter (and maybe the Trickster). If you don't have the community card pack, there is very little for these characters and even if you do, there are a few cards in a sea of greens and blues.

Odds are pretty high they they will never see those cards, or not more than one and I think they need them. I'm wondering if we need something like turn in 2-3 greens to pick one from the deck of the same color which matches your class. For the Skald they'd be getting an instrument. For the Hunter maybe a better crossbow and/or a decent off hand weapon. For the Trickster presumably it would be tools. What do you think?

Of course you could just give them good equipment, but is there a good mechanic with a lighter touch that could compensate them for the fact that the treasure cards weren't really designed with them in mind?

EDIT: Or should we customize the green and blue deck for the particular party so that the cards useful to our team are set up equally for them. Then play the rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
EDIT: Or should we customize the green and blue deck for the particular party so that the cards useful to our team are set up equally for them. Then play the rules as written.

I haven't played much yet with the expansion heroes, but that's kinda what we've done in the past even for the core party. It's pretty lame to get Apprentice gear when nobody is playing as him. In practice, it's easy enough just to say "discard that treasure and draw again", rather than having to tailor the deck every session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any of the card expansion packs, do they include any items for the expansion characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackson
United States
Versailles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

Since I have the community pack, what I typically do is always use every card from the base game item decks. Then, pick some greens and blues from the community pack that are made for the Hero classes that are being played, and shuffle those in.

That way the deck is stacked for your team, but not to a degree that you will be pulling useful loot all of the time.

My community item pack is organized with dividers by class/ type. I don't bother separating them by color.

If I had a soldier in my party, I would pluck a random card from my melee weapon section, a random card from the shield section. Repeat for weapons/offhands for each Hero. Then for each Hero, pull a Helm, Armor, and Accessory card. Shuffle into the appropriate color decks and go.

At the start of each new session, I dig the community cards out of the item decks, and replace with 2-3 new for each class to change things up a bit.

For me, I think stacking the deck a tad is a more elegant solution than coming up with a separate rule set for trading them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always allow an expansion hero to draw more than one treasure card and keep one, then reshuffle the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The growing treasure deck is a "problem" that should be addressed by MCG. It's one of that many parts of the game that still feel like they are in beta.

I do the following:

- Remove duplicates from the item decks and replace them with "cool" items from either the item expansions or the community pack.

- Keep the item decks close to their non-expansion size.

- Use my item-crafting mod and a larger item deck, when I play more regulary with the same people.

- Stack the treasure bag and deck for one-shot sessions and / or add fitting items for the heroes after clearing a tile. Getting cool stuff really helps to keep people engaged...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that want persistence, like me, it sucks that If I sell crappy items back to the merchants, they are now available to be drawn on treasure drops in future quests!

So, we're running around hoarding crap. I think I might house rule that we're selling them as spare parts (hence the v. low sale price), so once they're gone, they're gone .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually select two classes we are not playing with. Each time we draw a card that we agree is an item for that class we draw again.

Edit: We have the item expansion and the community expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.