7,675 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Christian Schmid
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey folks,

i am searching for a not to evil looking, nature/fantasy/woody/not childish card game. Mechanism is not too important as long it is a neat game
Dale of Merchants was a good shot but maybe more epic like Thunderstone? Is there for example an expansoion, which has some woody nature style pics on the cards? My girlfriend just dislikes all the violent designs.
Codex the green ones, the animals are totally cool, but we do not have it available in Germany yet.
Thank you for helping out! I am now on a search forever.
Games already known:
Thunderstone Numenera (to violent and weird)
Seasons ( to sort of Disney-stylish, but close)
Dales of Merchant was a good call, but to small for a classic.

Thanks again folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Mystic Vale this past weekend and it had an interesting play and fits your art/theme criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens is quite different from most card games, you are two ravens competing to race around the world, playing cards to advance along the path or to modify the regions that form it. Kodama the Tree Spirits is a cute but not childish game about making trees grow, and Lotus is an area control game where players build beautiful flower gardens with their cards.

Some very good card games that I recommend although they don't fit the nature/wood setting are Sushi Go or its bigger brother 7 Wonders (Duel for 2 players, or regular 7 Wonders for 3+), and Jaipur, an excellent little game about trading goods for 2 players only.

None or these games are violent or evil looking in any way, although 7 wonders has the concept of getting points/penalties depending on the military power you collect, but there is no real violence depicted in the military cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
Have a look at Arboretum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Can't get much more woody/nature-y than Morels, not only highly regarded but also it is a 2-player-only game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
A little further afield, but perhaps Jambo?

By the way, thanks for being specific and listing some examples of things you tried and how they reacted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Evolution--it does have predators, but they're not evil, they're just part of the chain of life.

You may also try Pi mal Pflaumen, a trick-taking game with gorgeous nature art. (Edit: Minimum 3 players, though, so you'd need a third to play.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your artwork criteria, these two games came to mind. Unfortunately, neither of them is particularly easy to get a hold of. But they might be worth looking into nevertheless.

Fate of the Norns: Gulveig
Dragonmaster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, there's also Ascension. The artwork on the cards has a very classical, woodcut kind of feel to it- contrary to what's printed on the outside of the box. And it's still in print and quite easy to acquire.

Edit: But I'm not certain whether it would meet your girlfriend's "not evil" requirement. What I've seen of it is pretty tame, but I don't know anything about how your girlfriend perceives things, so I really couldn't say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the artwork: Lagoon: Land of Druids. Alternate eco-theme: Ginkgopolis or Dilluvia Project.

-- Oops ... you're looking for a card game. Oh well!

_
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
+1

Although Fairy Tale has a couple of Demon cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Morels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valeria: Card Kingdoms should fit the bill nicely.Coming soon is Karmaka with AMAZING art!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Hi there, terrified of coming across as spammy as it's not my intent.

We are launching Legends Untold this Autumn which has the depth of an RPG with the speed of a card game.

It is low fantasy, and does not have bloodthirsty artwork.

It is all about exploration and combat only accounts for a third of the game.

Anyway I have attached some art to help, good luck with your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
And so it begins...
mb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
A little further afield, but perhaps Jambo?

By the way, thanks for being specific and listing some examples of things you tried and how they reacted!

+1 for Jambo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie
msg tools
I came here to recommend Arboretum, but Dom beat me to it. A thinky game, very interactive, and absolutely gorgeous artwork.

Would Tides of Time fit the bill? It's a very quick drafting game for two players. I really like the artwork.

I own and like Kodama but if you find Seasons' artwork too cutsy/Disney-ish then Kodama might be the same.

Other games I haven't played but might fit your criteria:

Does your girlfriend dislike violent designs even if it is a coop game and you're both fighting the villains? Legends of Andor: Chada and Thorn is the two-player card version of Legends of Andor, a puzzly fantasy coop with - in my opinion - great artwork. I haven't played this version but Legends of Andor is one of my favourite coop games.

The artwork for Mystic Vale makes me drool on my laptop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Of course, there's also Ascension. The artwork on the cards has a very classical, woodcut kind of feel to it- contrary to what's printed on the outside of the box. And it's still in print and quite easy to acquire.

Edit: But I'm not certain whether it would meet your girlfriend's "not evil" requirement. What I've seen of it is pretty tame, but I don't know anything about how your girlfriend perceives things, so I really couldn't say.

I absolutely love Ascension and I've played it A LOT (my recorded plays don't represent all my plays). That said, the artwork is very reminiscent and clearly inspired by MtG.

The Void faction and the monsters in particular may be deemed as a bit "evil" looking. The remaining factions, Lifebound, Mechana, and Enlightened, are all pretty light though. Definitely not within the category of cartoonish artwork.

It also fits the fantasy theme you're looking for perfectly.

If you're looking for epic, campaign type games you might want to look into: Myth or Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients (or it's other core set Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death) They're dungeon crawlers that are intended to recreate the feel of a Dungeons and Dragons campaign but without the need for a GM. It's fully co-op and you're fighting off monsters but those monsters are basically demons so it may exceed your girlfriend's not too evil looking requirement. Then again, you're the epic heroes fighting back against the evil so maybe she'd be okay with it. Scratch that. Just re-read the OP and realized you're looking for a card based game. SoB and Myth are both miniature based so don't meet your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our latest favourite is The Butterfly Garden, maybe you are interested in Herbaceous as well. They are both from the same artist and they look gorgeous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Seasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Lost Cities.
Jaipur.
Archeology.
Matcha.
Battle line. (No trees/elves/etc., but great 2 player card game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MTGirl Collector
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not out quite yet, but be on the lookout for Hero Realms, I've been playing the PNP with my SO a bunch and love it. Improves on Star Realms, with the Fantasy theme you are looking for. Also, the campaign mode will make it cooperative, which is great for couples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Kodama: The Tree Spirits? It's so whimsical and remind me of princess mononoke!

Also these two: Get Nuts, Yardmaster Express. Might be too light but they both have trees XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Morels
+1 Odin's Ravens (second edition)

I'll add Summoner Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schmid
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you all so much for your help. Seems Mytic Vale hits the spot so far, artwork is stunning, but Lagoon, Land of Druids is even more better in its artwork. Puhh. Wow. Now i have some investigation to do. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.