Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Parsons
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi! I'm James, an attorney, butcher, baker, candlestick-maker, and avid gamer in Ohio. I enjoy writing brief, concise, easily-digestible reviews for games I've played. One such game is...

CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY
Josh Dillon, Daniel Dranove, et al., 2009

TL;DR:

Pros: Easy to play, can accommodate many players, can be funny if you enjoy this type of humor

Cons: no depth, the cards get repetitive quickly, controversial and offensive humor

CaH is probably the most divisive game out there at the moment. On a personal level, I've enjoyed it. I've laughed and giggled and had fun with it in certain groups. If you're looking for a party game for a group of people who will not be offended by the content and have not experienced it, this will more than suffice. Take careful note of who you are playing it with, though, and make certain all know what they are getting into.

The cards are unabashedly offensive, with no topic held sacred. Racism, sexism, genocide, and rape make an appearance. There is nothing wrong with being offended by a game with these topics in it - it is a completely valid criticism, and the amount of bitterness sometimes directed at those that do not enjoy it is, frankly, quite odd. Know who you propose bringing this to the table with; nothing can kill a game night quicker than palpable awkwardness or, much worse, potentially bruising the quiet vulnerabilities and hidden wounds of friends.

Outside the obvious controversies, the game itself gets rather stale, as you move through the contents with blinding speed. The expansions alone do not add a particularly large amount of cards, though there are a large enough amount of them now to add variety.

Cards Against Humanity is more of an experience than a game. The fun of an experience can vary, for some people it can be hilarious and enjoyable, for others a miserable and ugly affair. One thing is certain, though - experiences rarely have high replay value.

To part, I'll offer a brief story: my first experience with Cards Against Humanity was at a bar with strangers. My wife and I sat down, and proceeded to have quite a bit of fun over the next 45 minutes, marveling at the filth, grossness, and oddness of the combinations. This was an open game night with a variety of people, and someone asked what we were playing and if they could join. We shifted seats, introduced ourselves, and proceeded. I look down at my hand, and am forced to come to terms with something - the man that joined us was black, and the four of us previously playing were all white.

Nothing of note other than that happened. He joined in, and all the ugliness and gross humor blended together at the table. Laughs were had, drinks consumed, and we all parted ways smiling, appearing to have had a good time. Still, part of my love with gaming is that any differences - socioeconomic, racial, educational, anything - largely disappear at the table for a shared experience. Any game that grabs those differences and drops them back on the table with all the subtlety of an anvil should probably be looked at with scrutiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CowboyHatValor wrote:
Laughs were had, drinks consumed, and we all parted ways smiling, appearing to have had a good time. Still, part of my love with gaming is that any differences - socioeconomic, racial, educational, anything - largely disappear at the table for a shared experience. Any game that grabs those differences and drops them back on the table with all the subtlety of an anvil should probably be looked at with scrutiny.

That is the perfect way to describe it. A truly great experience can be had that transcends the game itself. The experience of everything going on, the breaking of the societal rules, the absolutely horrid humor that we're all ashamed to laugh at. As a game it's utter crap, it's not a real game. It is an experience to be had, and occasionally you can get a feeling on subsequent games like it did the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Figuière
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CowboyHatValor wrote:
Know who you propose bringing this to the table with; nothing can kill a game night quicker than palpable awkwardness or, much worse, potentially bruising the quiet vulnerabilities and hidden wounds of friends.

This.

For all the criticism the game gets, including some people advocating to never play it, this is the caution I give and tries to apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.