Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I was retrying mission 4. The Germans had all of the row 4 cards full of units.

I deployed in most of row 3 and was expecting to exchange a lot of fire on the 1st turn, when to my surprise, the 1st German activation called for the unit to be removed since no Americans were in sight! (This particular unit was off on the right and had no LOS, the Americans were mostly on the left.)

Another rule learned and so restarted! This time I deployed out of sight of the Germans, in rows 1 and 2, and during the activation phase, they all left.

Seems wrong. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,
replace the enemy with a PC Marker (you can see it in the enemy activity chart, and in the end of paragraph 9.4 of the 2.1 rulebook)

Once said that, there are some people (and I include myself), that seems that doesn't like this rule. You can see some efforts to modify it here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/494795/my-take-removing-enem...

and here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/445573/dont-replace-unit-pcj...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the thread references.

I guess between missions, if I set up out of LOS, the enemy units will withdraw, and the new PC markers will generate different enemies, or maybe the same enemies.

It will cost me a turn or two at the beginning of the 2nd try, but will save a lot of casualties. [There must be some McClellan in me!

This is my 3rd significant effort to play this game, and its seems to finally be clicking. I had glossed over the pyrotechnics, artillery, smoke in the past. Now those rules are starting to make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Calxx55 wrote:
Thanks so much for the thread references.
You're welcome

Calxx55 wrote:
I guess between missions, if I set up out of LOS, the enemy units will withdraw, and the new PC markers will generate different enemies, or maybe the same enemies.
You guessed that one right
Don't forget that when you re-attempt a mission; in the setup you can only put your units in a previously secured card (that means occupied and cleared). See 11.1 point 3

Calxx55 wrote:
This is my 3rd significant effort to play this game, and its seems to finally be clicking. I had glossed over the pyrotechnics, artillery, smoke in the past. Now those rules are starting to make sense.
Keep up the Fire!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, on the 1st try of mission 4, I had secured row 3 but the Germans held row 4 in great strength.

On the 2nd try, I set up in row 2 out of line of site, the Germans hide. I moved some assault teams to the 2 objective cards in row 4. This generated a bunch of Germans in row 5!.

Green star shell, every body back - Germans hide again, place PC's in row 5. (I cannot move into row 5 so don't care). I move to row 4 secure the objectives, no Germans appear. 3 turns left, so a fair chance of a counter attack.

Still seems wrong.

I might try a variant where if a unit is removed due to no LOS, it is replaced with a PC in its card, and another PC in a random vacant card abandoned by the US, on the next lowest numbered row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I could have pulled back, let the Germans go and leave PC's on row 5, and won easily.

Decided to use variant where withdrawing Germans leave a PC on the row lower than where they left from.

On turn 10 of the 2nd try, both objectives were secured except for 1 German litter LAT.

Gonna count that as a victory and move on to mission 5, more patrols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calxx55 wrote:
more patrols.

Fun. yuk

I hate patrols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If it helps as you move into Mission 5, Moriarty88 wrote this useful section on Patrols:

https://sites.google.com/site/fieldsoffirebootcamp/patrols
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
On the consimworld forums Ben has been very clear on this ... the intention is to place a PC marker (of the original type) on the terrain card that triggered the contact, not the card that the enemy unit disappears from.

That prevents the sleaze move that is possible as it currently reads; i.e., move an assault squad forward to a farm, remove A contact PC marker, place enemy unit(s) firing at farm, then withdraw a possibly pinned assault squad back off farm, removing the enemy unit(s). The PC marker in this case gets placed back on the farm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.