Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The BGG price history shows there are many sales of this game with promos and expansions for less than half of the store price and sometimes even as little as 1/3 of the cost. Here is one example but there are plenty more.

Does anyone know the reason for this? I'm quite new to this hobby but most other games I came across hold value much better in the secondary market. Basically, what I saw with AtS makes me hesitant to back other Artipia games such as Fields of Green because if it turns out I don't like the game I may have a very hard time reselling it without losing at least half of the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If markets were easily predictable, we wouldn't need to pay money managers exorbitant salaries.

If you are going to buy something based on its future speculative value, board gaming is not the hobby for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're kind of in the wrong hobby if you're worried about recouping your financial losses when you decide to sell your games.

That said you kind of answered your own question. Fields of Green is a mechanical successor to Among the Stars so for people that have limited space for board games or don't want to have a lot of similar games in their collection. A lot of people are probably deciding to sell Among the Stars and get Fields of Green or hold on to Among the Stars and skip Fields of Green. I know I'm not stoked on the new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I love board games and the intellectual challenge of board gaming, so I hope the hobby is not 'wrong' for me, although perhaps game collecting may be. At any rate, I am just trying to understand the reason for such a significant price drop with resale. Is this common?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is your number one rule on games ...

If you buy a game, Expect Half or less on resale. IF you make more your lucky.

If you go in with that mindset you'll never be disapointed.

As others have said.. boardgames are not invenstments. As collectors we collect for the love of the games, not the value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nothing surprising:

Some people will sell AtS to finance/justify backing FoG, causing a drop in market prices as people are trying to sell before the campaign finishes by undercutting others.

Once FoG starts arriving, expect a rise in AtS prices as people new to the "series" decide they like this new game and feel they simply must have the previous game to complete the collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
atraangelis wrote:
Here is your number one rule on games ...

If you buy a game, Expect Half or less on resale. IF you make more your lucky.

If you go in with that mindset you'll never be disapointed.

As others have said.. boardgames are not invenstments. As collectors we collect for the love of the games, not the value.

I'm surprised people even look at "resale". I've never considered selling a game. Either trade it, lend it, or give it to someone who enjoys it. Although I don't have a large collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resale can be preferable to trading. I know my game tastes make it much tougher for me to trade games. Selling has been easier and faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine, if you want a real answer....

AtS went through a rather strange market cycle. Its original kickstart was actually run through indiegogo which was new player in the crowdfunding business at the time. On top of that, there wasn't any expectation that AtS was going to be a great game. Then the game came out, reviews poured in, and it turned out to be great game. I don't want to resurrect this debate, but for a lot of people AtS replaced 7 Wonders and thats high enough praise to sell copies... except that there weren't any copies to sell because it was a low funded project from a new indie game developer out of Greece. Some retailers had copies, but not many. Demand exceeded supply and the people who kicked ATS but didn't like it were able to flip their copy for a profit.

So there was a second kickstart for the expansion which sold a lot of copies. And then a third kickstart which that also coincided with Stronghold acquiring a licences to print copies. And then a fourth kickstart when the most recent expansion was release. So where we are today is that anyone who bought into the hype has had three chances to get in on a kickstart and copies are available on the shelf at most FLGS. Its probably safe to say that supply exceeds demand at this juncture.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised at the link you posted as I would expect he would be able to get at least $50 for the stuff he has. However, some people feel that AtS has reached the point of expansion glut and that is one of the reasons why it is hard for me to get the game to the table unless I have a pre-made setup ready to go. It could also be that that particular seller just wants to make a quick sale rather than wait for the "right" buyer. There may be something else going on as well, but to be honest, very few people sit and monitor board game prices looking for trends because, as pointed out above, this is really not hobby people can use to make money.

But honestly, buy what you want to play and just hope to get your money back. I buy or sell between 12-20 games per year and there is no predicting what anything will be worth down the road. You don't know what is going to hit, what will miss, and when something will get reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.