Commands & Colors: Napoleonics» Forums » General

Subject: Minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I have ordered the game and will start a project to make miniatures for the blocks. Question is, should I go 6mm or 10mm? I already have some 15mm but think they will be too big and not actually look like a force.

Also, when you take hits you remove blocks, will need to somehow do this with minis. Maybe base the strips of 6mm or 10mm separately and when you take hits you remove a strip?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hexes on the map are about 50mm across. I think 6mm strips are about 20mm across, so that should work. 6mm has the advantage that the stands don't have to be as deep. You could even use 2mm scale:

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/indexes/2mmindex.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Chosen 6mm myself with Adler as a supplier.

https://gaurjg.bn1302.livefilestore.com/y2pkoYhbzqTAtX-V3k5Y...

(started this about 2 years ago and didn't make much progress but somehow, someday, I'll get back to it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
noooo take you on 2mm scale, might as well just use the blocks. I would prefer 10mm as I am in the states and can get them much cheaper at Old Glory than I can 6mm from overseas. However, not sure if I can fit multiple 10mm strips in a hex. Anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On this forum post, it is mentioned that 10mm strips are 25mm wide. The C&CN hexes are 55mm it turns out. So I think 10mm will probably work.

http://www.sammustafa.com/honour-forums/maurice-other/prefer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or you could buy a bigger mat and use the 15mm figures

http://www.hotzmats.com/command_mat.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Mark
United States
Roseville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference in basing between most 10mm and 6mm manufacturers is minute at best. In fact some ranges of 10mm are smaller than some 6mm ranges. GHQ 10mm for instance is smaller than most 6mm ranges. These are GHQ 10mm French based on a 1" x 3/4" base. You can fit 4 or even 5 stands this size in C&C N hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Looks like I will get some 10mm in and see how they work then! thank you all for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind is that you need a way to easily recognize the various sub-types: is a unit light, line, grenadier, guard, etc. infantry or light, heavy, or lancer infantry. If you know your Napoleonic uniforms, you might be able to tell from the figures themselves, although with smaller scales that might not be easy.

One strategy you can use is to position the figures differently on the base or use different numbers of figures per base. Another technique is that you can put one block on the unit to act as a label; that's what I do with my ancient and medieval 15mm figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also use different poses (as the block art does), firing/loading figures for light infantry, standing for guard, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Good advice. I ordered the game from GMT and am waiting for them to ship (said end of this month) before I start ordering minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pain
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that you need a way to easily recognize the various sub-types: is a unit light, line, grenadier, guard, etc. infantry or light, heavy, or lancer infantry. If you know your Napoleonic uniforms, you might be able to tell from the figures themselves, although with smaller scales that might not be easy.

One strategy you can use is to position the figures differently on the base or use different numbers of figures per base. Another technique is that you can put one block on the unit to act as a label; that's what I do with my ancient and medieval 15mm figures.

Good advice - I chose to use different numbers of figures on bases to distinguish between units and also put a single block behind each unit (which also serves as a "victory block" to hand to the opponent when the unit is destroyed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pain
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
Looks like I will get some 10mm in and see how they work then! thank you all for the help!

Enjoy the game first before you embark on a painting marathon. I recycled my existing 15mm minis using a larger mat but if I was starting from new I'd go for 10mm simply for that massed Napoleonic look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
I used 20mm 1 figure to replace 1 block can fit 4 inf or 4 cav or a gun with 3 grew per hex gets a bit crowded if need to add a general as well but works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.