Subject: 90 minutes minimum? Bah! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to strongly disagree with the bgg assessment, with two players you are looking at 45-60 average. And boy is that wonderful, it gives the feel of a big strategy game and plays under an hour! If not for the manual so full of holes a Millennium Falcon could hide there this would an perfect game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
I have to strongly disagree with the bgg assessment, with two players you are looking at 45-60 average. And boy is that wonderful, it gives the feel of a big strategy game and plays under an hour! If not for the manual so full of holes a Millennium Falcon could hide there this would an perfect game.

It ranges quite a bit based on # of players and experience, and unfortunately BGG gives us a single number.

I'm the designer by the way and rules writer. I'd love to know the holes you encountered. I'd love to know how we can improve the rule book if we get a chance to revise it. Sorry you felt that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:

It ranges quite a bit based on # of players and experience, and unfortunately BGG gives us a single number.

I'm the designer by the way and rules writer. I'd love to know the holes you encountered. I'd love to know how we can improve the rule book if we get a chance to revise it. Sorry you felt that way.

Well, I love the game, so I have a very positive opinion about it.

As for the number, I'd definitely root for changing it to 60-120, as 60 is really realistic with two players.

As for the rules - 2/3 players and Trog combat, the manual says that the player can play cards for them, but what cards? Their cards? Bgg says no, but it seems unclear.
The difference between occupied and controlled is not clearly specified and this results in a lot of doubts, e.g. can you control without occupying?
The last event not being a token and just an empty space is a bit confusing, this should be stated clearly in the manual.

These are the ones I remember off top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Forbes
United States
Carmel/Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grant, I think a section that briefly touches on each building and skill or at least some of them, would be helpful. I think I've figured out my questions via the forums but it would be helpful for new players.

Along those lines a person in my group brought up a new question recently. In the intro videos you did for Portal you mention you automatically get two Machine units when opponents attack a region with The Bunker. That seems to follow the text on the building card, but if that is correct, what do you get when you activate The Bunker? Do you get them automatically or do you have to activate the structure after a battle is started?

In our case the region had been captured by an opponent and the Machines moved back into the region to take it back. The question then was do the Machines automatically get two units since a battle is started in a region with The Bunker.

Loving the game, and can't wait to get it back to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikolaj,

Sorry, but you're not allowed to disagree! You must now stop playing your board game and return it to the store/vendor immediately. Here on bgg we always agree with each other on everything.

PS: I'm from Brooklyn, and have a bridge I could sell you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Here on bgg we always agree with each other on everything.

I did laugh out loud. Never have I more felt 'publish and be damned' come to life than on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:

As for the number, I'd definitely root for changing it to 60-120, as 60 is really realistic with two players.

As for the rules - 2/3 players and Trog combat, the manual says that the player can play cards for them, but what cards? Their cards? Bgg says no, but it seems unclear.
The difference between occupied and controlled is not clearly specified and this results in a lot of doubts, e.g. can you control without occupying?
The last event not being a token and just an empty space is a bit confusing, this should be stated clearly in the manual.

1. If a Pligrim player is playing against the NPC Trog, the Machine player can use the cards in their hand for the Trogs in combat.

2. You can control without occupying. As I noted they are different terms, independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rf6971 wrote:
Grant, I think a section that briefly touches on each building and skill or at least some of them, would be helpful. I think I've figured out my questions via the forums but it would be helpful for new players.

Along those lines a person in my group brought up a new question recently. In the intro videos you did for Portal you mention you automatically get two Machine units when opponents attack a region with The Bunker. That seems to follow the text on the building card, but if that is correct, what do you get when you activate The Bunker? Do you get them automatically or do you have to activate the structure after a battle is started?

In our case the region had been captured by an opponent and the Machines moved back into the region to take it back. The question then was do the Machines automatically get two units since a battle is started in a region with The Bunker.

Loving the game, and can't wait to get it back to the table.

Bah, sorry about the video. Just a goof when writing the script on my part. You must activate the bunker to get the Units. My mind was probably recalling a previous version or something. Use the rules, not the preview video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:

1. If a Pligrim player is playing against the NPC Trog, the Machine player can use the cards in their hand for the Trogs in combat.

2. You can control without occupying. As I noted they are different terms, independent.

Thanks as for 1 that's something that could be better worded, the manual says:

This includes placing Trog Units on
Battle Objectives and playing Tactics
cards from their hand

"their" could refer to Trog's hand here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
borsook wrote:

This includes placing Trog Units on
Battle Objectives and playing Tactics
cards from their hand

"their" could refer to Trog's hand here.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6e1hZGDaqIw/hqdefault.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.