BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: How to cancel a buy on the marketplace? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I've never used the marketplace before and I saw a game I wanted and went to look at the prices to compare deals. I figured it was like every other online shopping site and I would be given a final rate (including taxes and shipping) before I decided to confirm my purchase. Instead it just ended and immediately said my purchase was confirmed. I didn't want to actually buy anything! I just wanted to take a look at prices and see what they were with shipping. Then I got an e-mail that the price would be $20 for shipping and my order was confirmed! How do I stop this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you just contact the seller and explain. They will most likely allow you to cancel as long as you let them know quickly so that they don't waste time preparing the game for shipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harvest4 wrote:
I've never used the marketplace before and I saw a game I wanted and went to look at the prices to compare deals. I figured it was like every other online shopping site and I would be given a final rate (including taxes and shipping) before I decided to confirm my purchase. Instead it just ended and immediately said my purchase was confirmed. I didn't want to actually buy anything! I just wanted to take a look at prices and see what they were with shipping. Then I got an e-mail that the price would be $20 for shipping and my order was confirmed! How do I stop this?

It is a ping-pong type communication process.

Order is placed. BGG Marketplace confirms the order has been submitted to the seller.

The seller receives said order and then applies the appropriate amount of postage, then "confirms" the purchase.

Buyer receives confirmation, total price including shipping, and payment information (if not included in listing).

Buyer submits payer to seller.

Seller ships item.

Both parties leave feedback.

It seems like you received the confirmation back from the seller, but don't want to proceed with the purchase.

You should contact the seller and ask if you can get out of the sale. Since this is your first purchase, it sounds like an honest mistake and the seller will just cancel the purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does seem like its ripe for abuse ...

What if the seller decides his "time" to package the game for shipping is worth ... oh ... $10. I definitely don't want to pay that amount.

It would seem the way to eliminate cases like this would be to either:

1. mandate that all listings include shipping charges (which is difficult to do) or, more likely:

2. Buyer expresses interest; Seller prepares total. BUYER confirms (or declines) based on the total.

It seems like once the buyer expresses interest (and buys), the seller knows he's got the sale. I understand that the buyer's interest probably removes the item from the marketplace (and sellers aren't interested in seeing their items removed for buyers that may be simply 'window shopping'), so I think some combination of the two methods would be necessary.

I just know that if I says I'm interested in a game that's for sale for $25 (when it's $35 at the OLGS); and then, I'm provided with a confirmed order that includes $19 postage ... I'm probably NOT really interested (and my initial interest shouldn't be taken as final/true interest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

What if the seller decides his "time" to package the game for shipping is worth ... oh ... $10. I definitely don't want to pay that amount.

1. mandate that all listings include shipping charges (which is difficult to do) or, more likely:

2. Buyer expresses interest; Seller prepares total. BUYER confirms (or declines) based on the total.

It seems like once the buyer expresses interest (and buys), the seller knows he's got the sale. I understand that the buyer's interest probably removes the item from the marketplace (and sellers aren't interested in seeing their items removed for buyers that may be simply 'window shopping'), so I think some combination of the two methods would be necessary.

I just know that if I says I'm interested in a game that's for sale for $25 (when it's $35 at the OLGS); and then, I'm provided with a confirmed order that includes $19 postage ... I'm probably NOT really interested (and my initial interest shouldn't be taken as final/true interest).

The system has always operated this way, and typically if costs are a concern for a buyer, they would PM the seller prior to pressing the Purchase option. There are no obligations on either party to follow through with the sale, although in my experience, they rarely get cancelled.

From the seller's perspective, if a buyer flakes out, it is quite simple to relist. Furthermore, if I sense the buyer may flake out due to their feedback, lack of communication, or NewUser status AND the game is in high demand, I will immediately relist the item so it isn't off the market while I'm waiting for an action that will put me at liability.

It is also very important to define expectations of communication in a listing, such as confirmation time window, payment window, and as a seller to list game dimensions and estimated shipping weight, ship from Zip, plus links to shipping calculators so the buyer can understand the neighborhood of total cost to buy the game.

I'm so unmotivated of a seller that I completely ignore requests from buyers that want me to give them a shipping estimate - everything is there for them to do it themselves. If they don't want to do the extra work, they don't want the game that badly... which to me is fine. It works out in combing out the flakes very well, in my experience. Which as a seller is my main concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
they don't waste time preparing the game for shipment.

I don't waste time preparing to ship a game until i've heard from the buyer and/or received a payment. Over 50% of the marketplace "purchases" that come through are from new users or folks that don't follow through after the initial click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

I like this process as well, especially because of how significantly shipping prices could fluctuate.

This is what burned me on BGG's "preorder" system. I'm not sure if it's still a thing, but you could specify what you're willing to pay for a particular game in a particular condition, and when a seller is listing an item, they can simply jump on that preorder. Well, I listed my total price including shipping, and a seller jumped on it, tacked on an additional $50 shipping charge, and shipped a game that was broken and unplayable condition. I had no idea the purchase would be confirmed like that or that such ridiculous additional charges would be added after the fact, and it was an awful experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
I'm so unmotivated of a seller that I completely ignore requests from buyers that want me to give them a shipping estimate - everything is there for them to do it themselves. If they don't want to do the extra work, they don't want the game that badly... which to me is fine. It works out in combing out the flakes very well, in my experience. Which as a seller is my main concern.

I think -- if you're listing:

1. The weight of the game
2. The size/dimensions of the game
3. You own zip code

And you're charging *only* exact postage - then, yeah, I'd be okay with that. I have no problem going to the three primary shippers, getting an estimate, etc. And then, committing.

But, if I get that estimate (say, UPS - and it's going to be $11) ... and I say, "Yes" - and then YOU send me back a confirmation - and its USPS, AND you want me to pay insurance ... and suddenly its $18 or $20 -- that would cause me to say, Uh-uh. Maybe you don't live near a UPS ... but, I'd much rather have that info up front (b/c we all know, if I back out of that deal, as a buyer, I'm getting negative feedback (and, if not through the official channel; then through backchannels ....)

I dunno - I think, as a buyer, I'd want my 'confirmation' to be the price I'm ready/willing to pay; not the total decided *after* I've said "Yes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Lemur wrote:

I like this process as well, especially because of how significantly shipping prices could fluctuate.

This is what burned me on BGG's "preorder" system. I'm not sure if it's still a thing, but you could specify what you're willing to pay for a particular game in a particular condition, and when a seller is listing an item, they can simply jump on that preorder. Well, I listed my total price including shipping, and a seller jumped on it, tacked on an additional $50 shipping charge, and shipped a game that was broken and unplayable condition. I had no idea the purchase would be confirmed like that or that such ridiculous additional charges would be added after the fact, and it was an awful experience.

Ha! Did you actually pay the additional $50 charge?

Yeah - I can't imagine any place on Earth, where I'm asked to confirm a purchase before actually knowing what it will cost me (although, I haven't bought on eBay lately ... do they list their shipping fees up front?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Dolus wrote:
Lemur wrote:

Ha! Did you actually pay the additional $50 charge?

Yeah - I can't imagine any place on Earth, where I'm asked to confirm a purchase before actually knowing what it will cost me (although, I haven't bought on eBay lately ... do they list their shipping fees up front?)

Yes. :/ I didn't want to, but felt already committed with how the system and feedback works. And that was also before I knew the game was broken and unplayable, definitely not the condition advertised.

eBay does list shipping fees up front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should've just written it off that year as a charitable contribution .........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harvest4 wrote:

If you haven't paid, no-one can force you to. The seller will cancel the sale I'm sure if you contact them politely and explain. If things go sour, PM Octavian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

3. You own zip code

And you're charging *only* exact postage - then, yeah, I'd be okay with that. I have no problem going to the three primary shippers, getting an estimate, etc. And then, committing.

But, if I get that estimate (say, UPS - and it's going to be $11) ... and I say, "Yes" - and then YOU send me back a confirmation - and its USPS, AND you want me to pay insurance ... and suddenly its $18 or $20 -- that would cause me to say, Uh-uh. Maybe you don't live near a UPS ... but, I'd much rather have that info up front (b/c we all know, if I back out of that deal, as a buyer, I'm getting negative feedback (and, if not through the official channel; then through backchannels ....)

I dunno - I think, as a buyer, I'd want my 'confirmation' to be the price I'm ready/willing to pay; not the total decided *after* I've said "Yes."

I can only speak from my policies, but I provide only USPS and UPS shipping - buyer's choice. They also know the dimensions of the game they are buying, so know if it will fit into a flat rate box. Furthermore, they have the choice to have it shipped with padding or not - just in case the the former forces out of a flat rate box and into something more expensive.

If anything ever gets too crazy with shipping, I have no issue with the buyer backing out. No harm to either of us, as the only effort that I have put in was the listing and simple communications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Lemur wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

3. You own zip code

I can only speak from my policies, but I provide only USPS and UPS shipping - buyer's choice. They also know the dimensions of the game they are buying, so know if it will fit into a flat rate box. Furthermore, they have the choice to have it shipped with padding or not - just in case the the former forces out of a flat rate box and into something more expensive.

If anything ever gets too crazy with shipping, I have no issue with the buyer backing out. No harm to either of us, as the only effort that I have put in was the listing and simple communications.

That all sounds incredibly fair and reasonable. As you probably know from living in this world, that certainly makes you the minority
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Lemur wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

3. You own zip code

That all sounds incredibly fair and reasonable. As you probably know from living in this world, that certainly makes you the minority

Sure and thanks. It is the right way to treat people. It also is from around 20+ years of online commerce, mostly selling individual to individual. Made some mistakes along the way, but always corrected them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.