Subject: Paint set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I'm thinking of "levelling up" my painting skills from basecoat/detail/dip I've done on all my Descent / Imperial Assault figures to actually doing highlights and washes and all that stuff on these models (and Space Hulk). Was going to get some citadel paints as part of this. I know in the past GW have put out huge boxes of the entire range, has anyone heard of plans to do something similar this year?

Failing that, any other good ways of getting a lot of paints at once? Or good sets to start painting these figures with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
I'm thinking of "levelling up" my painting skills from basecoat/detail/dip I've done on all my Descent / Imperial Assault figures to actually doing highlights and washes and all that stuff on these models (and Space Hulk). Was going to get some citadel paints as part of this. I know in the past GW have put out huge boxes of the entire range, has anyone heard of plans to do something similar this year?

Failing that, any other good ways of getting a lot of paints at once? Or good sets to start painting these figures with?

I've picked up most of my sets either through Reaper Kickstarters or the Army Painter sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
I know in the past GW have put out huge boxes of the entire range, has anyone heard of plans to do something similar this year?

GW normally releases the huge paint sets for the holidays (probably in November). They do have bundles of several paints on their website and some box sets of the paint types: base, layer, shade, et al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion those GW paint sets are overpriced. You do not need to spend hundreds of pounds on such a set. Just get a decently sized starter set from Vallejo or the Army Painter and you should be good to go.
Or think about the colours you want to use and buy them individually in your FLGS or online. 50 quid should give you everything you need for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recommended online sources for good prices on the Vallejo and/or Army Painter (or Reaper) paints? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
Any recommended online sources for good prices on the Vallejo and/or Army Painter (or Reaper) paints? Thanks!

I've picked up most of my Vallejo's and Army Painters from Miniature Market and FRP Games. The only Vallejo sets I've gotten are the washes. The rest were singletons.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/

http://frpgames.com/

FRP has a bunch of Vallejo overstocks right now, but colors are hit and miss.
http://frpgames.com/cart.php?m=overstock&d=0&level=0&mfg=VAL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
I've picked up most of my sets either through Reaper Kickstarters or the Army Painter sets.

Same ditto. Reaper's upcoming second Learn to Paint Kit is about layering, so you might want to pick it up. My GW paint set arrived as sludge, so I wouldn't recommend them, unless you have at least thirteen cocktail sticks to sacrifice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
rvinyard wrote:

Same ditto. Reaper's upcoming second Learn to Paint Kit is about layering, so you might want to pick it up. My GW paint set arrived as sludge, so I wouldn't recommend them, unless you have at least thirteen cocktail sticks to sacrifice.

I would say that your experience is not the norm for GW paints (at least in the UK, anyway). I have never purchased, or known of anybody else, purchase brand new GW paints that required revitalising like yours did.

I actually think GW paints are excellent, and if I had unlimited resources they would be my first pick. I have some very old pots that still have usable paint in them. However, I do think they are way more expensive than I am willing to pay these days, so I switched to Army Painter, and I have never looked back. Army Painter needs a hell of a lot of shaking before use, but I think it gives good coverage, and you can match up a lot of colours with GW stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Wanjajoral wrote:
In my opinion those GW paint sets are overpriced. You do not need to spend hundreds of pounds on such a set. Just get a decently sized starter set from Vallejo or the Army Painter and you should be good to go.
Or think about the colours you want to use and buy them individually in your FLGS or online. 50 quid should give you everything you need for a while.

Thanks, will see what happens in November.

I know they are overpriced, and I've been using Army Painter happily for a good few years and it's good stuff. But the huge range of colours and shades GW have just isn't matched elsewhere. And that's the bit I struggle with now, so being able to follow the paint guides with the exact colours is going to be really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.