Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing Descent 2ed using the app. So far I am enjoying the process. If S&S is better I will be impressed.

I do enjoy the Defenders game and I expect S&S to be similar - It is nice to not have to rely on an app for solo play.

Hopefully someone who got to play it at a con and who has experience with both Descent and Defenders will chime in with some notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I think it will be more than decent, it'll be great!whistle

Pure gold!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of getting Descent to play with my son with the app. We used to play Mice and Mystics, but he's ready for something new. Not sure if we can wait till 2017 for this release or not. A new preview would be nice to convince me to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chewie456 wrote:
I was thinking of getting Descent to play with my son with the app. We used to play Mice and Mystics, but he's ready for something new. Not sure if we can wait till 2017 for this release or not. A new preview would be nice to convince me to wait.

Hmmmm.... S&S needs and app!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get galaxy defenders then ! Fantastic game . Playing the the campaign and expansions will take awhile while you wait for sword and sorcery !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noahshu wrote:
Get galaxy defenders then ! Fantastic game . Playing the the campaign and expansions will take awhile while you wait for sword and sorcery !

I started looking into it, but then I got distracted by something shiny. Thanks for the reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmb
you guys are wrong to compare Descent et S&S
Descent is a "puzzle" game : the main objective is to run to objectives. There is no exploration, minimal story during a game and killing monsters is usually optionnal unless they block the way (and you gain nothing by killing them). Descent is not a dungeon crawler at all

S&S is not a puzzle, you get into rooms, the story unfolds and monsters appears and you need to kill them to go on. It's not a "run like hell to objectives" game.

Mice and Mystics is a much better comparison actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Descent
I played it last year as a prototype in Essen.

I played Galaxy Defenders and Descent (with and without the Road to legend app).

First of all: Descent without the RTL app is not a dungeon crawler at all for me. No real exploration, flat story, lack of excitement, fast-food-tactics

Galaxy Defenders was quite the opposite: Deep story and fully fleshed out story with lots of text, huge excitement due to permadeath, deep tactical choices

Sword & Sorcery will offer the same amount of story richness. It will have the same AI system which is perfect. In Descent RTL the monsters are not that different according to their behaviour. The AI system that was created for Galaxy Defenders is still the best on the market because you know all the possible actions the monsters COULD take, but you have to mitigate WHEN they will do them. Perfect.

So back to S&S: You will have more loot in S&S. You will have a modular board with a sense of exploration of the map - in GD there was "only" the exploration aspect of the story. Here you have both.

The biggest change: You do not have the hexes like in GD. So the combat system will have a different approach. In GD it was all about the positions on the map. In S&S it is all about the control of areas. According to the demo it really felt different, maybe a little lighter, but not as light as other games out there (like Descent or Mice & Mystics).

So get S&S if:
- you love story rich dungeon crawls
- you like AI systems, that give you the perfect mix of planning and risk
- looting
- character development for earned XP by killing monsters

Do not get S&S if:
- if you do not like time-consuming setup (preparing decks etc.)
- if you enjoy fast-food crawlers like Descent and you are perfectly fine with that depth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackshad wrote:
you guys are wrong to compare Descent et S&S
Descent is a "puzzle" game : the main objective is to run to objectives. There is no exploration, minimal story during a game and killing monsters is usually optionnal unless they block the way (and you gain nothing by killing them). Descent is not a dungeon crawler at all

At least Galaxy Defenders had such missions as well and I expect that S&S will also have 'race for objective missions'.
Also I'd not say that Descent has no story elements, after all most rooms DO have some form of flavour text. Also there are events.

For me it more comes down to what kind of game I want to play. Pure coop or overlord vs players (yes there was an alien mind version of GD, but here Descent is definitely better). I'd take GD and probably S&S over coop Descent however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noahshu wrote:

Agreed! And what's even better, the base set of GD has a lot of the same basic rules as S&S, so you'll both have a head start for when S&S becomes available!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q] "fubar awol

Hmmmm.... S&S needs and app![/q]
I thought they were working on an app as a stretch goal that we hit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adventurers,

Yep! the App is confirmed, it is under development.

About the Game play, the main enhancement respect GD (and other games) is the Book of Secrets!
The game experience looks very similar to a GameBook (the closer thing to a real Role Playing Game), for those of you that are not aware with this system, try to imagine something like this:

"§4.1 (Introduction)
The Heroes can visit several different places in the city to find out more information, yet time flies...

♦ If you want to visit the Market, rotate the <TIME> and go to §4.2.
♦ If you want to visit the City Library, rotate the <TIME> and go to §4.3.
♦ If you want to visit the Slums, rotate the <TIME> and go to §4.4.
♦ If you want to visit the Royal Palace, rotate the <TIME> and go to §4.5.
♦ If the time is over or if you do not want to spend more time finding information, go to §4.12.
"

Each Location will offer you different stories and sometimes they affect the quest rules also.

This is just an example, in many situations you must take decisions about your behaviour... the story, your allies and the ending will depend from your choices!

So Basically S&S is GD with a more streamlined combat system (not more easy, just different) and with much much more story for the campaign!

Thanks!

Simone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
west yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Hi Adventurers,

Yep! the App is confirmed, it is under development.

About the Game play, the main enhancement respect GD (and other games) is the Book of Secrets!
The game experience looks very similar to a GameBook (the closer thing to a real Role Playing Game), for those of you that are not aware with this system, try to imagine something like this:

"§4.1 (Introduction)
The Heroes can visit several different places in the city to find out more information, yet time flies...

♦ If you want to visit the Market, rotate the <TIME> and go to §4.2.
♦ If you want to visit the City Library, rotate the <TIME> and go to §4.3.
♦ If you want to visit the Slums, rotate the <TIME> and go to §4.4.
♦ If you want to visit the Royal Palace, rotate the <TIME> and go to §4.5.
♦ If the time is over or if you do not want to spend more time finding information, go to §4.12.
"

Each Location will offer you different stories and sometimes they affect the quest rules also.

This is just an example, in many situations you must take decisions about your behaviour... the story, your allies and the ending will depend from your choices!

So Basically S&S is GD with a more streamlined combat system (not more easy, just different) and with much much more story for the campaign!

Thanks!

Simone

Sounding great Simone!.. just need to get some rough shipping dates now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm waiting like all of you guys... hope to receive good news from factory very soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news from Essen?
I backed it and would like to have it in my hands for my birthday next month laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:

I backed it and would like to have it in my hands for my birthday next month laugh

Sorry, but that won't be happening. Christmas if we are quite lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Graber
United States
Louisville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that the app is simply for saving character data. Not for managing the monsters and DM game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.