Exceed Fighting System» Forums » General

Subject: General Rules questions, concerns and comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I want to start this off by saying I really enjoy the game, so don't let my critiques and frustrations keep you from picking this wonderful game up. I just have some beef with the rules sheet. Having little experience with BattleCon but having played several card games, I find it lacking in some areas. So, I'll just jump straight into my questions:

1. Where is the tutorial video? The QR code in the rules sheet goes to a dead page (www.level99games.com/games/exceed) and no video to be found anywhere on the site. The most information I can find is that they are selling a couple boxes in their store.

2. Is there anything on a card written out that says whether it is a normal, special or ultra? I feel like the rules weren't very clear the first few times I read it. Foiling aside (especially since the promo cards don't have any), it finally clicked that it's an Ultra if it has a Gauge Cost, is a Special if it has an Owner's Mark but isn't an Ultra, and the rest are Normals. This might have only confused me though,so take it with a grain of salt.

3. How do Range modifiers like 0~1 affect single digit range cards? I couldn't find anything on Range other than checking to Hit so I was assuming that meant it was a min and max range. That way a Range 1 would become a 1~2.

4. Do you only need to hit and not damage for a card to go into the Gauge Area? The part in parentheses "(even if you didn't stun them)" makes it seem like you need to also do damage.

My concerns are that the rules were written assuming you have already played BattleCon and it glossed over some major ideas if you weren't familiar with it. I feel like this happens most often when the designer writes the game rules instead of someone else, since the designer will assume things are obvious or assumes you've played their other games. The lack of information about Exceed on Level 99's site is also very troubling to me and makes me think that it's been brushed aside because of the success of Millennium Blades. Too bad, because I really enjoy this game.

Finally, I have major issues with card quality. All the foiled cards seem to be both thicker and warped to a point where it is impossible to play the game unsleeved and just barely with sleeves. I hope if there is Season 2 that they will consider not foiling cards, because the two promo boxes came out looking and feeling the best. There also seemed to be inconsistency in how cards were cut between boxes, where the corners of my Reese/Heidi box cards all seemed to flare out or the sides were cut in a way that made the cards look bi-concave.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No idea.

2. Normal attacks are the generic cards everyone has that don't show a character portrait in the upper right corner. They show a shape instead. Special attacks are those cards with a character portrait in the right that don't cost any gauge to use. Ultra attacks are those cards with a character portrait in the corner AND cost gauge to use (as shown in the upper left corner of the card.)

3. Range modifiers increase the range of an attack. If it says something like +0 - 1, then it means you can add either 0 or 1 to the range. This is important as it means that the attack gets extended range and doesn't lose its ability to hit up close.

4. You only need to hit with an attack to add it to your gauge. Damage is unnecessary. If an attack is prevented (usually because of being stunned) or an attack doesn't land (because the target isn't in range) then it doesn't add to gauge.

I don't know if I share your concerns about the game. I'm not (and never have been) a big fan of foil cards. But I can live with them.

Hope these answer your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brannan
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Necrojabberwock wrote:

3. How do Range modifiers like 0~1 affect single digit range cards? I couldn't find anything on Range other than checking to Hit so I was assuming that meant it was a min and max range. That way a Range 1 would become a 1~2.

think of it like this, an attack with range 1 has an actual range of 1-1, then it makes it easier to add the modifier in the proper place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.