Support:

Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Has anyone tried using the cards to see if a unit is spent after an action in a 2 player game (vs using 7 APs or dice)?

Curious how it worked out.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Has anyone tried using the cards to see if a unit is spent after an action in a 2 player game (vs using 7 APs or dice)?

Curious how it worked out.

Thx
jonpfl

I think this has been discussed in several threads, both here and in the CoH base game. It's been a pretty successful alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW the numbers of cards of each Spent Check value (1-6) in the deck are roughly equal, so you could also try doing the Spent Check by simply rolling a D6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
FWIW the numbers of cards of each Spent Check value (1-6) in the deck are roughly equal, so you could also try doing the Spent Check by simply rolling a D6.

Except they aren't actually equal AND you lose the distribution as some cards are drawn and removed from the pool until a reshuffle.

Uwe mentioned a dice method that uses I believe a d8 to simulate, but if you have the cards, I think it's better to just use them. If not, then print out the counters I made.

But you're right to just "test" the general idea of the system you could use a d6 as a temporary trial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Using the cards, you would never reshuffle. You only reshuffle when a card drawn for the AI action says to do so, not for a spent check. As AI Action Cards would never be drawn, the trigger to reshuffle would never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Using the cards, you would never reshuffle. You only reshuffle when a card drawn for the AI action says to do so, not for a spent check. As AI Action Cards would never be drawn, the trigger to reshuffle would never happen.

Correct, this is an adjustment that is NECESSARY to be made when using the cards/chits for two human-controlled sides (even solo human). Since the cards are losing their second function which controls the reshuffling, you have to make sure to account for it. Otherwise, the deck is only reshuffled when empty vs. the better variable method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the card spent check cards all the time in two player games.

Looking at the rules though, I realize we have not explained the reshuffle mechanics fully enough. It is intended that you reshuffle ANY time after a card that says reshuffle is used; for an order or a spent check. This means the deck can be reshuffled after a players unit makes a spent check if the card says reshuffle at the top. We will be adding this clarification to the latest version of the rules that will be posted later this month.

Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards have a display of a head and they save the player from spending the unit, whatever the cost of the action is. As these heads are distributed more or less one per number, I like to simulate this system rolling two dice, one colored and one white: if you roll doubles (both dice equal), your unit is not spent, whatever the cost of the action is. If you don't roll doubles, then check the value of the colored die (ignore the white die) to check for spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gunter, I imagine that the head next to a spent check, that allows the player to ignore the check, is for balance reasons due to the AI possibly being too strong with the command cards in the deck.

So if playing with 2 players, would just using the Green cards work? Or would you recommend ignoring the head symbol? Or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Gunter, I imagine that the head next to a spent check, that allows the player to ignore the check, is for balance reasons due to the AI possibly being too strong with the command cards in the deck.

So if playing with 2 players, would just using the Green cards work? Or would you recommend ignoring the head symbol? Or what?

With my chit replacements, I ventured that you'd just ignore it for both players or allow it for both player. Since it's for a human vs. AI and the cards are not being used except for a small part of their overall design, as long as it's consistent, I don't think it matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

Since the AI does not make a spent check when it executes a blue Command Order Card, we put the no spent check for the player on an equal number of cards. This keeps things balanced.

Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both! Looks like I'd ignore the head in a 2p game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peel
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
marticabre wrote:
Some cards have a display of a head and they save the player from spending the unit, whatever the cost of the action is. As these heads are distributed more or less one per number, I like to simulate this system rolling two dice, one colored and one white: if you roll doubles (both dice equal), your unit is not spent, whatever the cost of the action is. If you don't roll doubles, then check the value of the colored die (ignore the white die) to check for spent.

That is a very interesting idea to me and sounds very logical. Do you know if this approximately mirrors the distribution of the cards? If so i think its very elegant and i will do that in my two player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnrp wrote:
marticabre wrote:

That is a very interesting idea to me and sounds very logical. Do you know if this approximately mirrors the distribution of the cards? If so i think its very elegant and i will do that in my two player games.

It's an approximate distribution, yes. I've been using this system and I think it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.