Hide
3 Posts

Rattus» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Problem with 2 player version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brooks R
msg tools
We are new to this game and played the 2 player version yesterday. We both kept choosing the Peasant card and placed 3, 4 or 5 people resulting in a tie. It seemed pointless. Are we missing some rule or something?

Thanks,
Brooks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Santa Fe Springs
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / OCBG Member
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, IMO you're missing 2 things:
1) There are several threads in these forums that discuss the issues people have with the 2-player version of Rattus. Checking these out (via the "Search" function) may give you some better perspective.
2) With Rattus, as with many other solid designs, the level of fun and/or strategy and/or balance in the game is supplied not by the rulebook, but by the players themselves. In short, it's up to you to imagine ways to make it interesting, fun, challenging, etc. If everybody at the table plays the same strategy or if everybody plays the same way each game it will indeed come up short. This is a game that bears exploring.

With those things said, I much prefer Rattus with 3 or (especially) 4. But I just saw it being recommended as a 2-player experience that was preferable to the 2-player experience provided by El Grande, in another thread just yesterday. So, different strokes for different folks.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Picur
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I learned to play the game together, so we, too, went through the Peasant-heavy strategy. I gradually expanded my horizons, though, and found the King and the Knight to be also to my liking. The King lets you "castle" a meeple into permanent security. It has become more popular in our games than the Peasant. I also like the Knight, who lets you move the plague piece two squares, meaning you can keep it out of range of an area where you can stockpile meeple.

At this point, I've now tried all the various characters, found some I like better than others, and no longer have a strong attachment to the Peasant regardless of whether I am playing a 2-player or larger game.

Have you also considered not taking any of the characters? There is a very good thread on this strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.