Hide
2 Posts

ORIGINZ: The Superpowered Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Any plans for a solo variation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Mayo
msg tools
I downloaded the rules, but I don't see any mention of a solo variant. Are there any plans for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hunt
msg tools
publisher
Hi Corey!

Thanks for your interest! We've discussed solo and cooperative formats for the future (maybe even stretch goals!) It's no small challenge to create a solo format for Originz, because the game was designed to present players with tons and tons of decisions, and then reward them for making the right ones! For example, in Originz, cards are played in 2 steps: first you spend a card's energy cost to put it into combat (from your hand) and then you must spend its energy cost again to activate it - doubling the number of decisions required just to effectively 'play' a card.

Still, that doesn't mean solo formats aren't possible. In our minds, a solo format requires either:

1) rules that simulate an Artifical Intelligence & make the appropriate exeptions - this needs to be done right and heavily Playtested.

For example, I could envision writing rules where the enemy AI ignores energy requirements and just automatically puts the top 2 cards of its deck into combat... but then I need to define how exactly that AI chooses to play those cards...how do they choose to target for dealing damage, disarm, purge, and counter?

And if that deck automatically puts cards into combat, then are sets like Dark Magic just underpowered in solo play, because it has a bunch of cards that make players discard?

2) a deck made of special cards specifically for the solo/cooperative format (along the lines of Sentinels of the Multiverse Villain Decks). This is definitely doable, but it's almost a new game in itself (plus SOTM is out there!). Still, I have no doubt that we could do this in an ORIGINal manner, and would like to one day try!

Unlike SOTM, the heart of our game is the player Vs player competitive format, so we focused heavily on balance and gameplay in that area for the initial release.

That being said, I've played countless games against myself through the playtest process, in multiple formats (Super Boss, Draft, etc) and it's far more enjoyable than I had anticipated.

What would you envision for a solo variation? Is there anything in particular you would like to see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.