27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What was your favorite stretch goal for a game on Kickstarter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taela Sky
msg tools
As I prepare for the Kickstarter of my game, I'm contemplating stretch goals. I was wondering what makes a good stretch goal and why.

So I thought I'd reach out to the community and ask them the following?

What game had your favorite stretch goal and what was it?
And most importantly, why was it your favorite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like materials upgrades. I really like it when there's better quality cardstock and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check out the Sword & Sorcery Kickstarter, pretty much every stretch goal was awesome. New heroes, new monsters, new bosses, new weapons & items, extra quests. Depending on the type of game you're making, anything that can help give it extra variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lina688 wrote:
I like materials upgrades. I really like it when there's better quality cardstock and such.

+1

If a Kickstarter with just component upgrades I feel like they have everything they want in the game already. When games add non component upgrades you know what I see 6 months later in updates? "we are still play testing X stretch goal." Ugh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
Metal coins for XIA...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it sounds selfish but lots of minis that actually replace pawns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason King
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't really a stretch goal, but the Glory to Rome Black Box edition had a funny reward for the MARBLE tier backers.

Quote:
Pledge $175 or more

MARBLE - All the benefits of "CONCRETE" support plus hand screen-printed poster signed by Heiko, handwritten letter of apology for bad art from Ed, rulebook credit as "Marble" sponsor, one foreign language edition of the game of your choice.

Free shipping anywhere in the world.

At least they only limited it to 10 backers. Poor Ed. For what it's worth, I thought the original art was very clear and uncluttered. Too bad it looked like I was playing with a deck of cards made from a Ziggy comic strip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of stretch goals which don't risk the game being delayed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JustinT1 wrote:
I know it sounds selfish but lots of minis that actually replace pawns

Standees to replace minis are even better since it makes the game cheaper and show up sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
You can add me to the list of component upgrades being my favorite type of stretch goal.

I am not a fan of exclusives or extra content being used as cash grabs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
You can add me to the list of component upgrades being my favorite type of stretch goal.

I am not a fan of exclusives or extra content being used as cash grabs.

I am not a fan of excessive exclusives. I do like a few minor exclusives as a good game that you Kickstart usually shows up on CSI for a deep discount on what you paid for the game up front and they usually receive the game before you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brogdon
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The 7th Continent Kickstarter had a stretch goal for a custom soundtrack with different tracks for each area. That was cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Kickstarter exclusive stretch goals such as mini expansions, where the backers get something extra for backing the game. Then to make things fair for folks that missed the Kickstarter the Stretch Goal item becomes available several months after backers have received the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
Lina688 wrote:

What do you consider the best card stock out of curiosity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
brog5108 wrote:
The 7th Continent Kickstarter had a stretch goal for a custom soundtrack with different tracks for each area. That was cool.

That does sound interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
Sounds like it's important that the stretch goals do not delay the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buerger
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I prefer component upgrades over expansions, also no exclusives, hate them. But the stretch goal I was most excited about was fenrir in blood rage, not sure why but I just loved that it was an unplanned and awesome mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taelasky wrote:
Lina688 wrote:

What do you consider the best card stock out of curiosity?

Whatever GMT uses should just be standard, needing to 'upgrade' shows poor quality from the hop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stretch goals that are planned and thought ahead and so which presence/absence don't break the balance of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Components! But they have to get unlocked otherwise it's just sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vast: The Crystal Caverns had good stretch goals. The majority were component upgrades via meeples, tile bag, etc. Adding a player role and a couple tiles were nice gameplay additions.

Blood Rage, which I wish I'd backed, is one of the best campaigns regarding stretch goals. Much of what was unlocked was expansion content. The backers actually got the game with expansions for cheaper than retail, plus they had a handful of cool gameplay exclusives. It's one of the few CMON Kickstarters that doesn't feel like it's bloated with exclusives.

On the topic of exclusives, I'm usually not swayed by a few extra KS exclusive cards.

The stretch goals that I'm least interested in are the non-game stretch goals:
- Art (book/print)
- Pins/patches/stickers
- A meowing box
- Books
- Clothing
- Music
I can't imagine the these things are pulling in enough additional backers to justify the cost. They really just feel like they take away from money that could provide better components or a gameplay exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pony in Steampunk Rally. This made me cheer because it was so funny and I really appreciate that Roxley Games joined it the joke that some backers brought up.
Oh yeah, and the rubble die in This War of Mine: The Board Game. That is something special.

Otherwise I'd go with metal coins or deluxe components as well as "new stuff" like a different type of enemy or so. Something that enhances the play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it when a project that is good value at launch and becomes very successful hands back some of the economies of scale through stretch goal freebies. I especially like it when they plan it properly and it doesn't mess up their own economics or delay the delivery schedule by years. I expect most Kickstarters to deliver late, so I'm happy enough if stretch goals cause a few months delay in delivery so long as they do not undermine the project's viability.

Some examples:
It regularly happens that CMON base pledges (or base plus the main expansion) offer hugely good value with free extra material, so long as you avoid paid add-ons.
In Exploding Kittens, the NSFW deck was upgraded from a set of extra cards to a stand-alone deck.
This War of Mine added a load of free expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it when carboard tokens are replaced by plastic chits like in Blood Rage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really liked them replacing the money tokens with wads of cash in Millenium Blades.

Tons of additional games in the 'Pack O Games' Kickstarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.