Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Games in the Classroom

Subject: Suggestions for a US Government and Economics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Teach
msg tools
I'm a California High School teacher and was recently switched to 12th grade where the subject material is US Government for one semester and Economics for another. Previously I taught World History and incorporated table top games into my class where I could (Diplomacy, Guillotine, Kremlin, Pandemic). As this is my first time teaching this subject I'm looking for games to use in my classroom. So far I have some ideas;

Tammany Hall
Pit
Sheriff of Nottingham
Machi Koro

But I'm not sure if these are the best games. Here are my parameters.

1. Game can be started and finished in an 80 minute block
2. Easy enough for new gamers but robust enough where choice determines the outcome (as opposed to a purely chance games)
3. A manageable learning curve
4. Can accommodate 5 or more players.

Any help, insight, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I plan on purchasing class sets in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
teach4food wrote:
I'm a California High School teacher and was recently switched to 12th grade where the subject material is US Government for one semester and Economics for another. Previously I taught World History and incorporated table top games into my class where I could (Diplomacy, Guillotine, Kremlin, Pandemic). As this is my first time teaching this subject I'm looking for games to use in my classroom. So far I have some ideas;

Tammany Hall
Pit
Sheriff of Nottingham
Machi Koro

But I'm not sure if these are the best games. Here are my parameters.

1. Game can be started and finished in an 80 minute block
2. Easy enough for new gamers but robust enough where choice determines the outcome (as opposed to a purely chance games)
3. A manageable learning curve
4. Can accommodate 5 or more players.

Any help, insight, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I plan on purchasing class sets in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Have you looked at Founding Fathers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1960: The Making of the President
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Kickstarted Campaign Trail and it releases in November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
For Economics I'd seriously consider an 18xx game even though it would take several sessions to complete. There may be some relatively simple games out there in the 18xx universe, but I would recommend 1856 or 1870. These games can introduce the youths to earnings/shares/dividends/loans, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Article 27: The UN Security Council Game

You'd have to give it context and without knowing the curriculum I'm not sure whether it would be that suitable.

I think with small amendments the game itself could easily be customised to be of interest to the class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robertson
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyak wrote:
For Economics I'd seriously consider an 18xx game even though it would take several sessions to complete. There may be some relatively simple games out there in the 18xx universe, but I would recommend 1856 or 1870. These games can introduce the youths to earnings/shares/dividends/loans, etc.

Would Paris Connection be a simpler/ quicker alternative to meet the same outcome?

[I'm sure there's an even easier option but it escapes me at the minute]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but I have to ask it - why the 5 player minimum limitation if you're using it with an entire class?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Primary Dice from: https://kanegames.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/primary-dice-d...

Plays 2-6. PnP, so cheap and easy.

If you want you can add Swing State DICE and have pairs compete against each other.

But many good government games are going to be out of print, or play 2-3 player only.

Most government games are going to be limited to elections- you could re-use Diplomacy of course.

Austerity is another PnP game, but it is one player only. You could just make it co-op and have each group write up what they did and why.

FYI-We have the same setup here in Texas. My son took both classes online, and my daughter will get to do them next year. I teach government at a local juco. I have a number of political/economic games in my collection- feel free to look through it. Depending on where you are in CA, you may be able to get your hands on some of the older games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Teach
msg tools
Groups. My class size is 35 kids and 7 (or less) sets is the usual budgetary limit. A science teacher was able to push it to 9 sets of pandemic as both science and social studies could benefit from the sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if City Hall works... haven't played it, but it is on sale at CS. Sounds like a solid game (though not in the looks department).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again I'm stymied by how schools set up budgets. IMHO, the **cost** of providing educational materials should be the basis for a budget, NOT the number of copies of the materials. Sheesh. Sorry that you're being hamstrung by these regs.

I'm guessing (only a sophomore level knowledge of the broad fireld of games that can be applied to formal educational settings) that there's a lot more games that would work better with up to 4 players appropriate to the content areas you're teaching. Party games often play 5+ players, but solid strategy games / simulations for 5+ players seem to be a lot less common.

You might consider teaming students in pairs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, a few of the previously mentioned games may not suit for the following reasons:

"1960" and "Swing Staed Dice" are 2 player games (although as mentioned, you might want the Ss to pair up (triple up?)

"City Hall" is for 2-4 players only.

"1856" has a listed playing time of 4-5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Teach
msg tools
montebanc wrote:
By the way, a few of the previously mentioned games may not suit for the following reasons:

"1960" and "Swing Staed Dice" are 2 player games (although as mentioned, you might want the Ss to pair up (triple up?)

"City Hall" is for 2-4 players only.

"1856" has a listed playing time of 4-5 hours.

Thanks! I had noticed that. 1960 is one that constantly comes up but finding a copy is pretty hard and/or expensive. I love the new Twilight Struggle on Steam and hope that they make a digital copy of 1960 as I can run that with the whole class divided between the two campaigns.

A local game store owner suggested games that require cooperation and/or negotiation as those are the necessary skills in our government. I think the Economic games are easier as many are worker placement or resource management and that is pretty easy to tie into economic concepts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmb
Ponzi Scheme will be more widely available in October, I believe.

Tamany Hall has a lot of little pieces that will likely go missing, and I think Founding Fathers will likely run a little long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Armstrong
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a lot of success for the last 10-12 years or so in my AP Government class playing Road to the White House with a few tweaks as well as some student research to accompany the play. I can have 6 groups of 4-5 kids each run a campaign.

The only issue is the time investment. It typically takes me about a week's worth of block periods, but I do spread it out over several weeks so we play one day each week.

Another issue is storing the board and components during play. Fortunately, I run the tabletop game club where I teach and have cabinets that work perfectly to store games (a PTSA grant took care of that) and tables rather than desks for ease of student interaction and discourse.

Not sure if it is still available though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Holm
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I've used Stocks &Bonds for about five years. Heres a link https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1590/stocks-bonds

This could be 1 game for the whole class.

I used an excel chart and projector instead of the crayon board.
I also photocopied the game components and the students only handled the copies.

One year I had the students do research and invent their own companies I used those companies, the logos and names on the certicates after that. I just proxies the name. Didn't invent new game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.