Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After years of hating abstracts, this summer I really got into a few. Some of the ones I liked were from reading Yavalath & Co (I made myself a board and played with glass beads), so I now occasionally find myself browsing the nestorgames website. But there are a million games there. Help me pick!

I don't really know what, in general, I like or dislike about abstracts. I'm pretty sure one thing I want is for play to be somewhat intuitive, not just looking 10 moves ahead. I mean, lookahead and even forced moves are fine, but I don't want that to be the whole game, as it seems to be in Yavalath itself.

And for the moment I'm *not* interested in chess or go, etc. I think I want a smaller scope, and less "if you study for ten years you might be slightly competent". Playing abstracts has definitely slowed down my cult-of-the-new ways and led to more repeat plays... but ultimately I am the sort of person who plays 25 games 4 times each much more often than I play one game 100 times. I know that means some of the best abstracts would be wasted on me for the moment. Bear with me.

Abstracts I've liked a lot:
Catchup
Quantum Leap
TAMSK

Ones I've definitely liked some:
Twixt
Onitama
Niya
OMEGA (played on my Yavalath board, seemed like it really wanted a larger board)

Not sure what I thought:
DVONN
Navia Dratp

Didn't really understand enough to enjoy:
Feed the ducks
GIPF

Also, I love Tash-Kalar, but I'm pretty sure that's my dueling/hand-management/asymmetry side, not because it involves pieces on a square grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Amoeba is a great game published by Nestor Games. You should have a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
Amoeba is a great game published by Nestor Games. You should have a look.

Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like I could play that on my homemade hex board, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.