Popular Tags: [View All]
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John -

The rules state that "The player makes a Mark on an empty Explore Space of any Island. After making a Mark, if THAT island has no empty Explore Spaces remaining, the player makes an X on the Island and gains 2 points"

I put emphasis on THAT because in step 2/3 the akua I choose determines the island type I can explore. By exploring say, a volcano, I might end up marking an the last explore space for a tree island. So I explored the volcano island, but now the tree island has no more explore spaces left. Does it score? Do I get the X and the two points?

I assume so, but the THAT in the explore rules makes it seem like it's only the island you explore that can score.

Similarly, I imagine a situation in which during any step that you explore a space and it causes more than 1 island to be fully explored. In such a case, would I score all such islands?

Finally, if the answer to the two questions is NO, then I would assume then that no one would score anything for those islands for the rest of the game?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question!

You are correct, you would explore the last space on the Tree island. Islands share Explore Spaces and Sides with adjacent Islands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
justjohn wrote:
Great question!

You are correct, you would explore the last space on the Tree island. Islands share Explore Spaces and Sides with adjacent Islands.

And just to be absolutely clear, the Tree Island would score?

Basically is it the case that any time all of an island's explore spaces are marked, it scores no matter what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tracy_lu_who
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:

Basically is it the case that any time all of an island's explore spaces are marked, it scores no matter what?

I've only played the once, but this is how I played. Honestly, it never occurred to me that it might be otherwise. It seems like it would be needlessly complicated. Idk though, I'm interested in an answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hollemom wrote:
whattheproblemis wrote:

I've only played the once, but this is how I played. Honestly, it never occurred to me that it might be otherwise. It seems like it would be needlessly complicated. Idk though, I'm interested in an answer.

I agree it would be too complicated, and in general I think John's games tend to err on the side of simplify rather than complicate.

I just want to make sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.