Subject: Dear Board Gamer Reviewers on Youtube, rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, everyone knows that "distinguished" reviewers have custom shelves built into their walls by master carpenter elves, made of extinct varieties of wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
The first step to distinguishing yourself from all of the other youtube board game reviewers is to stop standing in front of your Kallax.

But, how will we know they are legit and shop at Ikea if we don't see a wall of games behind them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I give a pass to the Dice Tower folks since Tom originated it, but yeah, it is getting repetitive.

I understand why though. I mean, it makes a more interesting backdrop than a blank wall, and it is something they already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like seeing what they own so what's the big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why no one is acknowledging this is good advice, if your backdrop is different, people will notice it. If it isn't, well, you get lumped together whether you like it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
The first step to distinguishing yourself from all of the other youtube board game reviewers is to stop standing in front of your Kallax.

Glad you could put down your camera long enough to type that one out, Ebert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:
But, how will we know they are legit and shop at Ikea if we don't see a wall of games behind them?

You're not going to notice Enrico's shelving when he starts doing his reviews in a Speedo. Thin part in the front. You know, European style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear video reviewers,

When you're talking about the game and showing the game components and especially holding up cards like we're suppose to see what you're reading and doing, please, PLEASE focus the camera and zoom in ON THE GAME and the components in question!

It's fine to point the camera for a frontal view of yourself during an intro in the beginning and the summary at the end, but you don't need to stand in front of the camera the entire time with the actual game taking up only 1/4 of the screen. When you're talking about the game, I want to actually SEE THE GAME, not the reviewer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviewers: put your review at the front, and then if I want to know how to play i'll watch it. In fact knowing what you feel about a certain aspect of the game gives me a reason to watch your walkthrough to see what you mean. whereas i'm likely to be very bored with yet another intro walkthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
abodi wrote:
Reviewers: put your review at the front, and then if I want to know how to play i'll watch it. In fact knowing what you feel about a certain aspect of the game gives me a reason to watch your walkthrough to see what you mean. whereas i'm likely to be very bored with yet another intro walkthrough.

Disagree. I'd rather see the walkthrough first and make my own decision; their opinion is interesting and something I'll also take into consideration, but it means little without the context of knowing how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to hear several opinions, I don't want to watch several walk throughs.

Surely you make your own decision on the first watch, assuming it was comprehensive enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
I give a pass to the Dice Tower folks since Tom originated it...

I dunno, before the Ikea shelves, Tom was all about kooky green screen shenanigans and goofy masks. If we give him a bad time, maybe he'll go back.

Here's an example of the pre-Ikea era. (As a bonus we get to watch him gush about a heavy Euro--one of the best games of the decade he calls it!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing Dice Towers' evolution (see what I did there) to for instance Man Vs. Meeple, who probably don't even come close to the same amount of support and viewing numbers, one might conclude they really don't give a damn about presentation and production value.

I'm just happy whenever I don't have to watch those cringeworthy appearances of his daughter dancing around in the background wearing a mask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
Comparing Dice Towers' evolution (see what I did there) to for instance Man Vs. Meeple, who probably don't even come close to the same amount of support and viewing numbers, one might conclude they really don't give a damn about presentation and production value.

I'm just happy whenever I don't have to watch those cringeworthy appearances of his daughter dancing around in the background wearing a mask.

Your name really says it all.

Also: Man vs Meeple has a great set and does a great show.

But the Dice Tower is popular because they have such a volume that you can find a review of almost any game done by them. Dice Tower is putting out something like 5 videos a day now.

There is no way they could have MvM levels of polish on that many videos unless they had an unsustainable number of staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Dear Board Game Reviewers,

Thanks a bunch for informing me which games I should consider picking up, what games have flaws and require house rules, and which expansions are a big waste of money.

The only complaint I really have with board game reviewers are people not owning a tripod for their camera. Shaky cams make everything difficult to focus on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Board Gamer Reviewers on Youtube, please stop giving me free reviews during your spare time for my own viewing pleasure - I hate it and I want to pay you a monthly subscription to access these reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
Dear Board Gamer Reviewers on Youtube, please stop giving me free reviews during your spare time for my own viewing pleasure - I hate it and I want to pay you a monthly subscription to access these reviews.

This whole "be grateful, you don't have the right to criticise something that's free" thing is so counter-productive and unhelpful.

Almost all reviewers are interested in constructive criticism, and the OP's suggestion of not standing in front of your shelves like everyone else is constructive, as are the suggestions about blurry shots, showing the game etc. It's up to reviewers if they want to take these on or regard them as valid for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

Your name really says it all.

Also: Man vs Meeple has a great set and does a great show.

But the Dice Tower is popular because they have such a volume that you can find a review of almost any game done by them. Dice Tower is putting out something like 5 videos a day now.

There is no way they could have MvM levels of polish on that many videos unless they had an unsustainable number of staff.

Well yes they do have an insane amount of content but I can't help but wonder their potential if only they put a little more effort into that aspect. I mean it is after all a visual medium...

I guess the "problem" (so not really though) I have with it is that when newcomers try and look up reviews of games they are met with a style of presentation which isn't really relevant with the age we live in, thus creating the assumption that playing boardgames is old fashioned?

Looking back at when I started getting into the hobby I was taken aback quite a bit while watching TDT videos, it made the hobby seem kind of childish and overly family friendly in a way (this is where the kids come into play), not to be taken serious as an industry...

I (luckily) got past that first impression but I can imagine a lot of instances where we lose potential newcomers because of it.

(I say all of this while still appreciating the work they do and continuing to check out their videos)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
Null Field wrote:

Well, I use Ivar, so this is not going to be a problem should I ever decide to start making videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdotco wrote:
bradelli wrote:

This whole "be grateful, you don't have the right to criticise something that's free" thing is so counter-productive and unhelpful.

No, it isn't. You are saying I cannot criticize people who criticize. You are being counter-productive and unhelpful. I am free to criticize criticism. And personally I absolutely love when people stand in front of Ikea furniture, and I hope hundreds of more reviewers begin to do that this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
sdotco wrote:
bradelli wrote:

No, it isn't. You are saying I cannot criticize people who criticize. You are being counter-productive and unhelpful. I am free to criticize criticism. And personally I absolutely love when people stand in front of Ikea furniture, and I hope hundreds of more reviewers begin to do that this year.

Your entire first post was sarcastic and mocking, which is the opposite of constructive. That's the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Help my memory please, I seem to remember portal games doing a spoof video about being a reviewer and advertising a cloth background with shelves full of games printed on it, could somebody confirm this for me or maybe my memory is worse than I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
Dear video reviewers,

When you're talking about the game and showing the game components and especially holding up cards like we're suppose to see what you're reading and doing, please, PLEASE focus the camera and zoom in ON THE GAME and the components in question!

It's fine to point the camera for a frontal view of yourself during an intro in the beginning and the summary at the end, but you don't need to stand in front of the camera the entire time with the actual game taking up only 1/4 of the screen. When you're talking about the game, I want to actually SEE THE GAME, not the reviewer.

+1

I do get the feeling that some reviewers operate under the assumption that the viewer can easily physically inspect the game on his/her own, either in their local game store, a convention, the 7 other game groups in town, etc. Please keep in mind all those gamers who have no local game store, does not attend any conventions, and whose group and small collection might be the only one in town. Take a cue from a non-reviewer (Rahdo), and get in there among those bits and pieces, nice and close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:

Well, I guess we're not legit because I didn't spring for the Kallax series. I'm sure somebody has seen one of our videos and cringed at the disarray of my shelves in the background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for fun, when No Pun Included was still doing reviews (quite good ones, btw) he spoofed the typical YouTube boardgame review in the first minute here: enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.