Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I have a question regarding artillery:

1. Does each one of these counters represent a single barrage attack?

2. Which one of these counter represent a battery barrage attack and which one represents a battalion barrage attack?

3. Do i just place these counters down on a "observed" hex and call out what kind of mission, be it battery mission or battalion mission?

4. I notice each counter has a different strength points, some are 12, one is 16 and another at 18 strength points, does this have anything to do with size of unit? ie, platoon or battalion.

5. How many counters are placed down for a battalion mission attack?

6. How much ammo is lost during a battalion mission attack?

7. Am'I restricted as to how many counters i can put down on the map. ie: if i had 12 barrage counters can i put all 12 down in one turn?

I'm just trying to get my head around this system. For some reason the rules are not sticking...

Thanks fellas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
1. Yes.

2. Look carefully at the text at the top of each counter. Which counter is a battalion shoot? How can you tell that the others are battery shoots?

3. See sections 18.3, step 1 and 18.4. You don't need to announce battery or battalion because of the counters. You do need to announce the mission type (18.5) and any mission modifier (18.6).

4. Take a look at the vertical text on the left edge of each counter. You can also look at the information in the Order of Battle in the game-specific rules. The text on the top of the counter, combined with the vertical text, gives you the information you need.

5. Sort out the artillery barrage markers by unit designation (you can check against the Order of Battle in the game-specific rules). With the answer to #2 that you figured out, see section 18.5b.

6. See section 18.2 Ammunition.

If my attempt at the Socratic (or just hinting) didn't work, we can go into more detail. I'm hinting because some of the questions have specific answers in the rule and because some of the conceptual questions give you the most benefit when you figure out the answers by yourself.

If I was too obscure on previous threads, please add requests for clarification and I'll give explicit answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Ethan,

Thanks i know you are referring back to the rules but the rules are unclear for me. Now i've tackle and learned tough systems like ASL, GOSS, and GTS, Line of Battle, but i'm having a hard time with this.

1. So are you saying each arty counter represents either a "battery unit" or a "battalion unit" and it's noted on the counter. Is that what you said?
(If it is i don't see it. how would i know which is which from looking at the counter? I don't see any battalion symbol on the counter in the photo i attached.)

2. So if i attack with a battery attack i expend one (1) artillery ammo? If i attack with battalion i expend three (3) ammo?

3. Am I restricted from laying down all my arty counters if i have the ammo for them?

4. Can a unit with an 18 fire strength do a battery attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claystone wrote:
Ethan,

Thanks i know you are referring back to the rules but the rules are unclear for me. Now i've tackle and learned tough systems like ASL, GOSS, and GTS, Line of Battle, but i'm having a hard time with this.

1. So are you saying each arty counter represents either a "battery unit" or a "battalion unit" and it's noted on the counter. Is that what you said?
(If it is i don't see it. how would i know which is which from looking at the counter? I don't see any battalion symbol on the counter in the photo i attached.)

The counters themselves show "Btry Good" (Battery Good) or "Bn Good" (Battalion Good. Normally, the unit ID itself is given in small fonts.

claystone wrote:

2. So if i attack with a battery attack i expend one (1) artillery ammo? If i attack with battalion i expend three (3) ammo?

Yes, IIRC.

claystone wrote:

3. Am I restricted from laying down all my arty counters if i have the ammo for them?

Yes. You must keep track of Ammo usage.

Also, you cannot use the battery/battalion counters at the same time. If a given battalion has 3 batteries, you either use the three battery counters to place on three different targets or use just one battallion counter to place a concentrated fire on an hex and the six surronding hexes.

For instance, the I-59 Battalion has either the 16 Firepower Battalion counter or the 1/2/3-I-59 12 FP Battery counters. If you use the 16 I-59 counter you cannot use the three battery counters in this turn.

claystone wrote:

4. Can a unit with an 18 fire strength do a battery attack?

As explained before, the counter itself shows if this is a battery or battailon barrage. The fire strength is irrelevant for this.

Also you may notice that a batallion barrage firepower is not the sum of the three batteries. The figure (16) is quite smaller than the sum of 12+12+12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Richards
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Lee Forester made a series of TCS instructional videos, here's the artillery one: https://youtu.be/3mZ8gfCXDtc

I don't remember if it answers your questions, but it, and the others, might be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools

Ok, i have it now. Thank you fellas for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.