United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I got my extra models in the mail today. I am working on what I will call "the Petersen Variant" (copyright 2016 ) that I hope to try this weekend.

In this variant everyone starts with 4 mechs on the board on your home space. Since you are traveling from your homeland and kind of have some technology. But you encounter new terrain and are forced to upgrade your mechs and get reinforcements in order to make it to the factory.

Everyone starts with full power and full popularity, since they are loved by their motherlands because of their brave quest to take over the factory.

Every other aspect of the game plays the same with five exceptions.

1. The move action now counts as 4 units and can be upgraded to six.

2. The factory card bottom action can now be used for two units on one turn.

3. Taking control of the factory will get you 3 popularity but if you lose it you lose 6 popularity.

4. Stars for power and popularity can only be claimed after a player has dropped below the halfway mark and regained his power and popularity.

5. Up to 4 of any player's mech's can be eliminated from the game from losing combat .

I am curious what others think.

I am sure something will go screwy but that is kind of the point. I love this game and I am just trying to have so fun with it. I don't think the game needs to be fixed which is why I am calling it a variant. I want to see how it changes the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you start with your mechs on your home base, but don't start with any tech for them? So you still have to pay iron for each upgrade like normal? You will need tokens to mark the tech that players take as they pay for them.

May be tough to get halfway down the popularity track. It will kind of steer you toward certain choices during encounters, and require sending a lot of workers home. Then by that time, will there be enough time left in the game to get the popularity back up all the way?

Do you start out with a star for having all your mechs built, or do you only get the star after paying for all the tech for the mechs?

Seems like it both encourages aggression and punishes losers in combat. Wonder if it benefits the more combat orientated factions in that they will be better suited to getting rid of other mechs from the game, which not only hurts their fighting potential, but also potential points for having control of an area. Someone loses some mechs, that's some points they can't get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:
Well, I got my extra models in the mail today. I am working on what I will call "the Petersen Variant" (copyright 2016 ) that I hope to try this weekend.

In this variant everyone starts with 4 mechs on the board on your home space. Since you are traveling from your homeland and kind of have some technology. But you encounter new terrain and are forced to upgrade your mechs and get reinforcements in order to make it to the factory.

Everyone starts with full power and full popularity, since they are loved by their motherlands because of their brave quest to take over the factory.

3. Taking control of the factory will get you 3 popularity but if you lose it you lose 6 popularity.

4. Stars for power and popularity can only be claimed after a player has dropped below the halfway mark and regained his power and popularity.

5. Up to 4 of any player's mech's can be eliminated from the game from losing combat .

I am sure something will go screwy but that is kind of the point. I love this game and I am just trying to have so fun with it. I don't think the game needs to be fixed which is why I am calling it a variant. I want to see how it changes the experience.

Play it and let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:

Do you mean that your variant requires the double amount of plastic figures ? Do you intend to play it with 8 mechs of which 4 can be permanently removed from the game ?

At a first glance it looks like a "all-in" variant or the boardgame equivalent of a video game where you activate the "unlock everything" cheat code at the very beginning of your play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems overly pointless. I have to loose power and popularity then get it back up again to get a star. That will force people to ignore that path and just go for the other stars. This variant removes the slow build up but doesn't make it seem like it is adding anything to the game, more movement points and 4 mech's out will just bottle neck the game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
thatach wrote:

Play it and let us know how it goes.

I'm all for crazy variants and fun ideas. Definitely try it before you post it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mb
What is the purpose of starting with max popularity? It seems totally unconected to all your other changes.

In the game played by the rule book, popularity does not represent your popularity at home. It is your popularity among the locals. Your goal is to control the area, and the more popular your are among the locals, the better your control. Why would the Polish agent become unpopular in Poland for kicking some Russian workers out of an area? She does get unpopular in Ukraine for kicking Ukrainian workers out of an area just because they work for the Russians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the goal of this variant? Looks like you're trying to create more of a monkey-in-the-middle royal rumble, but with destructable mechs. I can understand wanting to find more ways to encourage combat, but I feel like the game will fall apart since everything is going to come down to the luck of the combat card draw. It will make a few factions MUCH stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
What is the goal of this variant? Looks like you're trying to create more of a monkey-in-the-middle royal rumble, but with destructable mechs. I can understand wanting to find more ways to encourage combat, but I feel like the game will fall apart since everything is going to come down to the luck of the combat card draw. It will make a few factions MUCH stronger.

Sadly, the goal of the game was just to try something new. I have an extra set of mechs and was looking for a way to incorporate them. I really like the base game and see no reason to change it but I thought it might be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
thatach wrote:

Do you mean that your variant requires the double amount of plastic figures ? Do you intend to play it with 8 mechs of which 4 can be permanently removed from the game ?

At a first glance it looks like a "all-in" variant or the boardgame equivalent of a video game where you activate the "unlock everything" cheat code at the very beginning of your play.

Yes, I ordered the extra models for "painting" and decided it made more sense to try an epic version where there are more mechs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
So you start with your mechs on your home base, but don't start with any tech for them? So you still have to pay iron for each upgrade like normal? You will need tokens to mark the tech that players take as they pay for them.
Correct

Hahma wrote:
May be tough to get halfway down the popularity track. It will kind of steer you toward certain choices during encounters, and require sending a lot of workers home. Then by that time, will there be enough time left in the game to get the popularity back up all the way?
Hopefully, that was kind of my goal. I wanted to encourage a different experience.

Hahma wrote:
Do you start out with a star for having all your mechs built, or do you only get the star after paying for all the tech for the mechs?
No, you get a star when you build your four mechs off of your player board.

Hahma wrote:
Seems like it both encourages aggression and punishes losers in combat. Wonder if it benefits the more combat orientated factions in that they will be better suited to getting rid of other mechs from the game, which not only hurts their fighting potential, but also potential points for having control of an area. Someone loses some mechs, that's some points they can't get.
Yes, it could be awesome or a complete disaster. I will let everyone know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.