Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game really that bad at 4 players, this is our usual game group ? The BGG does suggest this with 65% 'not recommended'. So the advertisement on the box (4-12) is misleading ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
With 4 players, you'd have a Forensic scientist and two Investigators vs. one Murderer. So each Investigator will know that the Murderer has to be one of the other two. I think that would make it really hard for the Murderer since he'd be trying to convince each Investigator that the other one is the Murderer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not unplayable, just not ideal. Like most social deduction games, 4 tends to be on the lower end of enjoyment. Fortunately with this game, you can adjust difficulty by increasing or decreasing the number of clues and weapons each person gets. Our experience has been that the less people there are, the more cards each person needs to be dealt. You'll have to experiment, but with 6 players, I think we went up to 5 or 6 clues/weapons (10 cards) per player.

Although for 4 players, I would recommend Mysterium over this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buttons McBoomboom
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this with four people in two sessions. Each time it was introducing it to two of the other players. In short, we enjoyed it...but you need to bump up the weapon and clue cards to at least five each.

Basically I started as the Forensics Scientist. (If you know your group well, secretly force a person to be the Murderer that you think would be good in that role. This is just for the first intro game.) Regardless of that, each time we play, we would let a different person be the FS each time.

Usually what happens is the Murderer is narrowed down by the time six clues are played. So the two investigators just continue to puzzle out the weapon and clue cards for the murderer. That said, the murderer can still 'play and fool' the investigators. In one game, the investigators kept talking about whether the clue left behind was the Envelope or the Sticky Notes. The murderer joked along with them all the while knowing it was the cardboard box the whole time.

That all said, we play slightly different than the rules. Once a clue is placed it's an open forum for anyone to talk and post theories. At least in our group we don't have a problem with one person dominating the conversation the whole time. After a short period, the players will ask for another clue. Sometimes the FS will just play another clue if they see the discussion winding down.

All in all, I have enjoyed the four players plays of this. We played four times in a row with one group and eight times in a row with another. Of course, you do miss out on the Witness and Accomplice roles at four players, but on the other hand it is a nice way to introduce the game and at a smaller player count, the games go quickly, so even if the Murderer is narrowed down early on, it's not a drag for them.

Give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alenros
Israel
Tel-Kazir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the points above. Tried with four players and it was fun (it is always a fun game) but benefits from a higher player count.
In another thread I suggested adding trafting of the cards, maybe it could help the game with four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoyed four player... just bump up the number of cards of the murder is having a hard time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We try to play with at least six, so that the Accomplice and Witness can be used. We've had some good games with five if - as suggested - you increase the number of Means and/or Clue cares.

We started a five player closer the other night when our fifth suddenly had to go, so tried the four player and found that it really didn't work for us: the Murderer was usually fairly obvious, so the difficulty lies in getting the right pair of cards.

Love the game overall, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.