Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter exclusives? Must have expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi.

I got two questions, and it would be nice if somebody could help me out.

1) Are there any Kickstarter exlusives or something? I couldn't find anything like that in the campaign. Even if the game is cheaper in the campaign, it seems that buying it in the flgs might be in the end cheaper since I'd save the shipping. Of course I'd then get the game later, but still, saving money is nice.

2) I got CW with a bunch of expansions and considered getting Gods of War with fewer components and expansions as something I can actually transport to friends for a gaming night. Sure, I could only pick a part of CW, but I like it when I and friends have any option available.

So the question regarding each expansion/addon is: how much does it add to the gameplay value, and how much harder does it make the transportation via bicycle (normally I use a bag and a backpack).

I assume the best solution would then be just the base game plus Empires. That is probably enough of a transportation challenge. Sure, I really would like to have building models too, but I'm not sure how much space they'd take up. The Elder Races and Monsters addons would probably make transport without a car impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
1) There are no kickstarter exclusives. Everything will be sold after kickstarter.

BUT.

You might have to wait a long time to be able to buy some or all of the extra content. The Cthulhu Wars base game was available a long time before people could get their hands on the extra factions and maps. Same will probably be true with Gods War too.

2) The transportability will depend on several things:

- Do you plan to paint your figures? If not, they can be crammed in a lot smaller space by ditching the invidual boxes and putting as many figures as you can in the base box and/or even in a backpack. If the Gods War figures are anything as resilient as Cthulhu Wars figures, they can take a bit of abuse By not storing everything like it was made from porcelain...
Everything else (Maps, rulebooks, faction sheets etc.) will fit in the base box.
- If you will paint the figures, then the storage/transport will get more complicated. Not sure you can transport everything by bike then.

I don't think the monsters/elder races/buildings really add that much weight if you're already planning to transport base game and extra factions. (I'm basing this on Cthulhu Wars factions and independent great old ones as the monsters will propably be same size and weight as those).

Also, remember that not every monster/elder race will be used in every game. Make a (random?) selection at home and take just those with you (max. 1 dragon, 1 chaos monster and 1 cosmic monster = 3 monsters will be used in 1 game. Don't carry any more than that with you. Same with elder races.).

The buildings are not needed as there are cardboar counters included in the base box. Since I haven't seen the size of the buildings, I don't know if they are portable or not. If they are the same size as Cthulhu wars plastic Gates, I'm not sure they are really portable in your case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Also, you did not say how big your gaming group is.

If there are just 5 players, you don't have to carry 6-8 player map, nor all the factions. If you have 5 players, just carry 5 factions with you. You can talk to your friends beforehand and decide who wants to play which faction this time. Leave the 3 unneeded factions home. No point carrying EVERYTHING around for every game. Just plan ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kennelly
msg tools
mb
The only kickstarter exclusives would be the Resin miniatures that come with the Greater God pledge AND probably the Arachne Solare miniature.

I think you have the right approach though - base game plus Empires seems like your best bet, though if you are a completionist I wouldn't imagine that the Buildings / Elder Races / Monsters will be easily available at retail any time soon (unless your FLGS is backing the project), so just keep that in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a year and a half since Cthulhu Wars base game hit retail, and the expansions still aren't available in that space. While Petersen Games has been good about avoiding literal Kickstarter Exclusives, any of the expansion content can be considered a de-facto Exclusive, for the simple fact that it'll take quite a while longer for any of it to hit store shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
While these are not *actual* KS exclusives (read: PG at some point in the future may choose to remake them and offer them to consumers in some fashion at an unknown place and time), the following are things that I do not believe we will over print for purposes of retail, with the first print run:

A) Arachne Solara (though perhaps we may make a few hundred in addition, for conventions or something)
B) Translucent Orlanth (available at Hero or higher pledge)
C) the resins (these are probably the most likely one time things)

Additionally, we may not have the capacity to actually over print the expansions for retail initially. We often make expensive games, and we actually under-price them on KS, believe it or not, making it that much harder to print more for retail.

The best bet is to expect the core game only to be at retail just after backers get their stuff, with the Gods War 2 KS making the original expansions possible for retail ( laugh ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I'd say Empires, given that the factions are the major part of the game. Buildings is also cool (and I don't imagine that heavy).

Monsters/Elder Races are more gameplay variants than anything, but bare mind, that means it's not essential to bring them every time you want to play Gods War. After a while, you figure you want to switch things up, you break your back bringing Monsters/Elder Races as well - plus, cross compatibility with Cthulhu Wars! Win win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.