$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 72.5

4,987 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
31.4% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How many scenario(s) will be in each figures and tiles expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I just preordered both "Suppressed Memories" and "Recurring Nightmare". Just wondering how many scenario(s) will be included in each expansion? Will it only be 1 scenario for each expansion?

I think the expansions are pretty expensive, and I am hoping there will be at least 2 scenarios for each expansion?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Pretty sure there's only one expansion in each. I've bought the Core box (haven't played yet) but unless it's AMAZING, I don't see myself jumping for the expansions - they look comparable to Imperial Assault/Descent in contents and yet only have 1 scenario?

Whereas the expasions for those games have full/mini campaigns...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Daniel Lin wrote:
I just preordered both "Suppressed Memories" and "Recurring Nightmare". Just wondering how many scenario(s) will be included in each expansion?

Actually, no scenarios will be included in either expansion.

No doubt an update will be released for the app at the same time the expansions are released and new scenarios will be included for the app.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't expect future expansions to include this much material or cost quite this much. These are less expansions and more, "now all previously available components are now out there.

I would think future small box expansions will probably be some unique cards and a single monster mini for one new scenario.

A future big box expansion will probably come with a couple scenarios and some tiles in addition to the monsters/cards.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that one scenario for each expansion is very little. Will see if I pick them up.
The question for me is if all the tiles you get will be used in later scenario?
If they allowed for more variations for many future scenarios, that would make me consider. But for only one new scenario and some variation in scenario 1 (and 4?) of the core box is not worth it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I'll pick them up at some point, but it may be a while. Six scenarios for $200 retail is a bit much. I'll probably wait on the expansions until there are at least eight total scenarios available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Daniel Lin wrote:
I just preordered both "Suppressed Memories" and "Recurring Nightmare". Just wondering how many scenario(s) will be included in each expansion? Will it only be 1 scenario for each expansion?

I think the expansions are pretty expensive, and I am hoping there will be at least 2 scenarios for each expansion?



With the amount of material you are getting in the box, it is not expensive.

A lot of minis of varying quality I must admit, but most importantly to me, 15-17 double sided tiles. Big and beautiful. That's the real treasure here.

I find it fascinating how frequently people completely undersell the expense and value of the tiles.

Like complaining about the cost of 2nd edition, while glossing over the fact it came with 24 beautiful double sided tiles.

That's 3 more tiles than 1st edition's base set AND 1st expansion!

Only 7 less tiles than ALL of 1st edition.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spotH3D wrote:
Daniel Lin wrote:
I just preordered both "Suppressed Memories" and "Recurring Nightmare". Just wondering how many scenario(s) will be included in each expansion? Will it only be 1 scenario for each expansion?

I think the expansions are pretty expensive, and I am hoping there will be at least 2 scenarios for each expansion?



With the amount of material you are getting in the box, it is not expensive.

A lot of minis of varying quality I must admit, but most importantly to me, 15-17 double sided tiles. Big and beautiful. That's the real treasure here.

I find it fascinating how frequently people completely undersell the expense and value of the tiles.

Like complaining about the cost of 2nd edition, while glossing over the fact it came with 24 beautiful double sided tiles.

That's 3 more tiles than 1st edition's base set AND 1st expansion!

Only 7 less tiles than ALL of 1st edition.




Agreed. The tiles are gorgeous and the artwork on them really adds to the experience. Plus 1st Edition featured some very large 3x2 tiles, which I hope we see some more of in 2nd Edition.

And there is a LOT of plastic included in these expansions, considering how many monsters/investigators ended up being in 1st Ed by the end. While I agree that the quality of the bases is annoying, I think the figures themselves are absolutely fine. I've been having a blast painting my 2nd Ed figures and after rebasing them, they look fantastic.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

spotH3D wrote:
I find it fascinating how frequently people completely undersell the expense and value of the tiles.

Like complaining about the cost of 2nd edition, while glossing over the fact it came with 24 beautiful double sided tiles.


But for playing purposes the components themselves, however beautiful, are worthless without app and scenarios. People who play boardgames tend to relate price and cost to replayability.

Which is debatable here.


5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

spotH3D wrote:
I find it fascinating how frequently people completely undersell the expense and value of the tiles.

Like complaining about the cost of 2nd edition, while glossing over the fact it came with 24 beautiful double sided tiles.


But for playing purposes the components themselves, however beautiful, are worthless without app and scenarios. People who play boardgames tend to relate price and cost to replayability.

Which is debatable here.




It may be more interesting to play completely new scenarios, but a single scenario is quite different every time you play it.

Many games only ever have one scenario, but can vary quite a bit.

The different monsters make a difference, the different investigators make a difference as well.

Plus, who knows, there may be more scenarios for these expansions. They haven't even been released yet so there may be more released for all we know.

I'd recommend trying out the game a few times with a friend/FLGS if you have doubts (if that is a possibility).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

spotH3D wrote:
I find it fascinating how frequently people completely undersell the expense and value of the tiles.

Like complaining about the cost of 2nd edition, while glossing over the fact it came with 24 beautiful double sided tiles.


But for playing purposes the components themselves, however beautiful, are worthless without app and scenarios. People who play boardgames tend to relate price and cost to replayability.

Which is debatable here.




I just purchased the 2ed and haven't even opened it yet, so forgive me if I'm mistaken, but don't the additional components from these "expansions" also work into the existing scenarios somehow? It was my understanding the app would generate each scenario based upon the materials you own. As in, the new monsters, tiles, and investigators will now be seamlessly integrated into the existing scenarios. If that's true, it doesn't seem fair to put so much emphasis on the number of "new" scenarios being released alongside these two boxes.

If the new "expansions" add more replayability to the base game scenarios in this way, that should be a big factor in any discussion about value.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:

spotH3D wrote:
I find it fascinating how frequently people completely undersell the expense and value of the tiles.

Like complaining about the cost of 2nd edition, while glossing over the fact it came with 24 beautiful double sided tiles.


But for playing purposes the components themselves, however beautiful, are worthless without app and scenarios. People who play boardgames tend to relate price and cost to replayability.

Which is debatable here.




I just purchased the 2ed and haven't even opened it yet, so forgive me if I'm mistaken, but don't the additional components from these "expansions" also work into the existing scenarios somehow? It was my understanding the app would generate each scenario based upon the materials you own. As in, the new monsters, tiles, and investigators will now be seamlessly integrated into the existing scenarios. If that's true, it doesn't seem fair to put so much emphasis on the number of "new" scenarios being released alongside these two boxes.

If the new "expansions" add more replayability to the base game scenarios in this way, that should be a big factor in any discussion about value.


Yea that's the idea. I introduced 2e to a couple of friends the other night, we played the first scenario, cycle of eternity(forgive me if that's not the title) and the entire map was generated by first edition tiles. That's about my 6th play of that. But that was the first time the entire map, except maybe 1 tile was from first edition.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

spotH3D wrote:
I find it fascinating how frequently people completely undersell the expense and value of the tiles.

Like complaining about the cost of 2nd edition, while glossing over the fact it came with 24 beautiful double sided tiles.


But for playing purposes the components themselves, however beautiful, are worthless without app and scenarios. People who play boardgames tend to relate price and cost to replayability.

Which is debatable here.


I keep hearing this Replayability debate, and while I understand some of the arguments, I think people are being a bit outlandish when they think they're only going to play each scenario once and then the game might as well be thrown in the garbage.

Maybe these are the same people that never ever watch a movie more than once or never watch their favorite re-runs of TV shows. Maybe they're the same people that don't see the value in buying a $60 video game if they're only going to play through the single player once.

But I have a feeling that some of the same people complaining about MoM replayability are definitely people who have dropped $25 on a Blu Ray and buy video games regularly.

For me, this game is highly replayable. Why? Because at this point, I've played the introductory scenario 4 times and all of the other scenarios 3 times, and I'm still excited to play more. Each of the times I've played have spawned different monsters (granted, I own 1st ed stuff) and had different layouts (save for one scenario that didn't change layout, but changed the entirety of the investigation based on NPC's). The starting items, item spawns, and Search tokens have been different, and while the story has played out roughly the same, the experience has always changed.

Playing this game with different groups of friends, playing as different investigators, the change in outcomes from the Insanity mechanic, and even completely failing one of the scenarios, needing to play again to finish it successfully; all of these things have added up to a ton of playtime that hasn't felt repetitive or tedious (outside of the static story elements that will always appear in each scenario).

I guess I'm not one to see a thing and think "Hmm, I'm only going to use/watch/play that thing once." I'm someone who loves watching my favorite movies again every once in a while or replaying my favorite video game. I love re-reading my favorite book series, even though I know exactly how those things end, every time. So maybe I'm just different? Although I have a pretty damn good feeling that I'm not a rare case and a lot of people on this forum are like me. So what makes a board game so different?

And I guess to conclude; if anything, these expansions add even more to the replayability because they add more variety to the existing scenarios in terms of which tiles can be used, which monsters spawn, and what investigators you can play with. That's my rant.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
- I agree that some, if not most, board games only come with one "scenario".

- I also know that the maps for some scenarios are supposed to vary in this game, from one play to the next.

- I also read on FFG website, that the expansions are suppose to be adding tiles, which will add variety to the maps for existing scenario.

- Unlike some fellow gamers, I personally don't have complaints about the quality of the components. I think they are excellent. Ok, maybe the base for monster minis could use a little improvement, but I don't think it is a deal breaker.

- I really like this game. I love that the game comes very close to creating a Lovecraftian experience. I love the storytelling, the mystery, investigation, and the suspense that comes with it. That's why I already forked out 150 AUD to pre-order both expansions. The base game costed me 160AUD, so that is more than 300AUD altogether by now (yes, games are expensive in Australia.. sigh...). That's how much I like this game, that's why I emptied my wallet of hard earned money on this game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
However, unlike other Arkham file, thematic board games (take, Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror, for examples) MOM 2nd edition lives and dies on storytelling, because the stories/scenarios are heavily scripted. This game thrives on the atmosphere of its story's mystery and suspense. While the maps for each scenario may vary (but I haven't seen variation in the second and the fourth scenario), and sometimes the outcome may vary (I know the first scenario does vary from one play to the next), but after you play each scenario for a few times, you will know the story. i.e. talk to this NPC and you will get X, do Y and you will get ending Z.

Yes, one can argue that the story driven nature of MOM 2nd ed is similar to a story driven video game. But I guess with video games you pay 60 dollars, the first play will take about 30 hours, then you can probably play it for the 2nd time for another 30 hours. So that is about 60 dollars for 60 hours of play. You might say, so why don't you just go play video games? That's a valid point. I used to play video games, but these days I am just not into video games anymore, I got tired of smashing buttons on a gamepad. I like what board games (especially co-op games) have to offer; sitting down with a group of friends, throwing dice and calculating my next movement with cards, working together to achieve a goal, way more fun, social, and intellectually stimulating than video games (I also like that solo board games let you play by yourself) But at the same time, I do like the storytelling aspect of video games, and I've always hoped a story driven board game would finally come, and here it is, MOM 2nd ed!

So from my personal point of view, in many ways, MOM 2nd ed really is my ideal game. However, while beautiful components and interesting gameplay (the app is an excellent idea), do make the game good, but that's only half of it. The other half, in my opinion, comes from the scenarios and it story. So adding up the reasons, for a scripted, storytelling game such as this one, I can't help but feel that getting 6 scenarios for 300 AUD just doesn't quite hit it.

This is not a complaint, I am just saying.

As I have mentioned, I really like this game and that is why I am supporting it by buying up everything. I hope it is ok to share my opinions.

Ok let me get back to playing this game. Happy gaming, guys and girls!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
owen sullivan
United States
Ellisville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At this point in time can we really expect FFG to offer us more scenarios? How long do you think it takes to both design the scenario, from story to tile pieces, to map variation, and then also playtest it multiple times with multiple different people to make sure it's properly balanced. It takes some time to do that. I bet right now they are in the process of developing new scenarios for us. For only being out a few months, 6 scenarios with many variations doesn't seem like FFG is holding out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
BreadRising wrote:


Maybe these are the same people that never ever watch a movie more than once or never watch their favorite re-runs of TV shows. Maybe they're the same people that don't see the value in buying a $60 video game if they're only going to play through the single player once.

But I have a feeling that some of the same people complaining about MoM replayability are definitely people who have dropped $25 on a Blu Ray and buy video games regularly.


How do you know this information? Your argument would be a lot more effective and stimulating without all of the supposition and judgemental tone.

I find the scenarios to be lacking in replayability and FYI I rarely watch films or TV, let alone buy DVDS, and only occasionally play video games, usually strategy or adventure games, certainly not $60 games, nor do I own any kind of gaming console. I do own a lot of books and comics and frequently reread them.Not that you're entitled to any of that information, but I don't want you to over-estimate your powers of psychic divination.

Here's the deal. Me and my group loves the game but currently it's off the table because the scenarios no longer offer us anything. We have witnessed the story, explored the locations, strategized and beaten each scenario. Each scenario offered us about 3 plays before we had done the above. Your mileage may vary, perhaps you are slow to pick up the game or have a higher tolerance for repetition or can't play often (fair enough) but that is the situation for us. 3 plays of each scenario is not a lot however you shake it.

For FFG to keep up with the demand of my group (which is me and my GF by the way) the scenarios need to offer more replayability or they need to come out with new ones frequently. We simply can't play often enough.

I'm sorry, but if someone has played these scenarios 4 or 5 times and doesn't have them totally sussed... well, I will not comment further.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:

I'm sorry, but if someone has played these scenarios 4 or 5 times and doesn't have them totally sussed... well, I will not comment further.



Once Sussex you can always try with a mix of investigators that will really struggle with a given scneario to up the difficulty significantly. And these expansions expand the investigator pool hugely, making that far easier to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
lordevilthefirst wrote:
At this point in time can we really expect FFG to offer us more scenarios? How long do you think it takes to both design the scenario, from story to tile pieces, to map variation, and then also playtest it multiple times with multiple different people to make sure it's properly balanced. It takes some time to do that. I bet right now they are in the process of developing new scenarios for us. For only being out a few months, 6 scenarios with many variations doesn't seem like FFG is holding out.


You are making a valid, and a very good point. I agree with you that it takes time to test and design a good scenario. I totally agree with your point. And I am very grateful that FFG is working so hard to quickly bring us these expansion sets.

On the flip side, however, FFG could take a bit more time in development before releasing the expansions, so they can include more than one scenario in an expansion set.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally, considering the price for these expansions, I wouldn't mind if FFG takes a bit more time to develop scenarios so they can include 2 scenarios in each expansion instead of one.

My 2 cents worth.

But I also understand that not everyone thinks like me. Some people, may prefer to have these expansions as soon as possible, and get additional scenarios later.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeezey Chreezy, why does everyone continue to think that these are standard expansions? They're not really expansions at all. They're re-releases of previous material. There is absolutely no reason to think that how FFG treats these is how they will treat all future expansions. They probably released these quickly because there was a huge swell of support for 2E and a lot of people upset that they couldn't get 1E components without paying through the nose on eBay.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Daniel Lin wrote:
I just preordered both "Suppressed Memories" and "Recurring Nightmare". Just wondering how many scenario(s) will be included in each expansion? Will it only be 1 scenario for each expansion?

I think the expansions are pretty expensive, and I am hoping there will be at least 2 scenarios for each expansion?


Daniel,
Where did you pre-order your expansions?

Wormwood
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I pre-ordered from Gamesmen
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

DancingFool wrote:
Jeezey Chreezy, why does everyone continue to think that these are standard expansions?


Because that's what they are. Until FFG tells us they're not. Preferably followed by an explanation what is a standard expansion.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Malama wrote:
The question for me is if all the tiles you get will be used in later scenario? If they allowed for more variations for many future scenarios, that would make me consider. But for only one new scenario and some variation in scenario 1 (and 4?) of the core box is not worth it.


I hadn't even considered this but yes, it appears the expansion tiles can be used in only 2 of the 4 base game scenarios.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
Pretty sure there's only one expansion in each. I've bought the Core box (haven't played yet) but unless it's AMAZING, I don't see myself jumping for the expansions - they look comparable to Imperial Assault/Descent in contents and yet only have 1 scenario?

Whereas the expasions for those games have full/mini campaigns...


This is a pretty good point...Imperial assault mini expansions cost same or less, and also have about a dozen tiles. But it also comes with a booklet with around 6 missions. A bunch of cards/some characters sheets. They also have about just under 10 figures (2 heroes, ~2 squads of 3 imperial figures)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
This is a pretty good point...Imperial assault mini expansions cost same or less, and also have about a dozen tiles. But it also comes with a booklet with around 6 missions. A bunch of cards/some characters sheets. They also have about just under 10 figures (2 heroes, ~2 squads of 3 imperial figures)


Imperial Assault expansions come with around 10 tiles and some small tile connectors. The MoM expansions are coming with 15 or 17 tiles, some of which are twice the size of the largest size in Second Edition base game.

Imperial Assault expansions come with around 10-12 miniatures in 5 sculpts. The MoM expansions are coming with 23 - 26 miniatures, some extremely large, in 16 or 17 different sculpts.

So whilst Imperial Assault may have more missions and cards, the MoM have a lot more tiles, sculpts and figures. The tiles also add additional variations to some of the other missions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.