Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title says it all

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-pa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the announcement, and this forum was the first thing I thought of. What fools, this was their best game in ages. Dedicated fans could probably put together a rules and playtest community and finish out the last set... as well as address some of the balance issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not saying I have high hopes, but just because FFG is not longer supporting it due to the announcement does not mean that someone else may not pick up the license and publish it. That said - not sure it was enough of a $ maker for another company to commit resources to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete Atack wrote:
Not saying I have high hopes, but just because FFG is not longer supporting it due to the announcement does not mean that someone else may not pick up the license and publish it. That said - not sure it was enough of a $ maker for another company to commit resources to.

I was wondering that myself. Does FFG own the rights to the Diskwars system? if so then you couldn't make the game without having the rights to both.

I'm guessing its the same thing with Warhammer Invasion. Another company couldn't make the living card game or use certain trademark aspects of the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Fressin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sad news ! A dark day for the boardgaming world.

I mean, many of the workshop-licensed games FFG produced are among the best board games ever :

Warhammer Diskwars
Warhammer Conquest
Chaos in the old world
Warhammer Quest the card game
Forbidden Stars

Not that I disliked their theme, but I would actually have preferred them to be built in another universe, so that the games could still be continued, with their amazingly smooth and tactically interesting mechanisms.

If there are fan-based expansions in sight, especially aiming at producing disks, I would be glad to join the effort ! I know the game and its balance very well, and decently know the lore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
flag msg tools
mb
Loss of the Warhammer licence has been chatted about for months now, it was almost an open secret. It's a real shame that they didn't push to finish the remaining factions. Star Wars is the all consuming beast.

Diskwars is a FFG product, though. They could publish a Terrinoth-based set.I doubt it but they could...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr M
Poland
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Business it's a business and FFG is just another company making money from gaming. In business is no place for emotions. It is just simple calculation focused on profits.

I have no idea about if they needed 2 licences to continue developing the Diskwars or they were in bad financial condition but IMO FFG should be honest(really? be honest in business?) that there is not going to be any other expansion for the game (3 years of extreme patience). At least try to finish incomplete factions (via kickstarter or print on demand or somehow).

But like i said business it's a business. FFG is extremely grateful to our friends at Games Workshop and there isn't even a single thanks for for being part of this to customers (FFG exists thanks to us).

Sad day. I will still love the game, still play. I'm also grateful that they released diskwars. Just very disapointed for the FFG policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Loss of the Warhammer licence has been chatted about for months now, it was almost an open secret. It's a real shame that they didn't push to finish the remaining factions. Star Wars is the all consuming beast.

Diskwars is a FFG product, though. They could publish a Terrinoth-based set.I doubt it but they could...

The original Diskwars was one of the very first games set in Terrinoth. Before the universe even had that name.

I, honestly, don't expect we will ever see another Diskwars game. It does not have the visual appeal of a miniatures game or whatever advantages a cardgame might have. Diskwars is excellently designed and still didn't have the wide appeal to get played or sold.

We still play it home and will always play and cherish both games. But, it will never have another edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad: I had been hoping that the existing incomplete factions would get more disks. Now, I am with all those who say that there is already a lot of gaming in what has been published so far, so it's not too bad.

Glad to have the promo disks/scenarios/terrains, though, as they do add variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Francois: There are some fan expansions built into the Vassal module. I'd love to have the opportunity to test them out and refine them.

In general, I am hoping to be able to continue playing WH DiskWars. When I have more time, I would also like to take some time to complete the existing partial armies (we no longer have to worry about the official content overwriting them).

Although in general I feel that the printed content is fairly well balance (leaps bounds and years better than the original), I would not be opposed to releasing on Vassal rebalanced core content on the assumption that whatever community develops around it (if any) will be willing to consent to the changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep... grab copies of stuff you want before it vanishes from the shelves, as the tend to do once the deals are off (I got 2 core boxes and a copy of each extension).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
This is really sad day.
My wife always told me diskwars was maybe best war game we played, better then axis, battlelore etc.
Completly on different level. Many units, many options, hight repleyability, cheap, lots of different armys each completly different.
I somehow hoped they will issue one big box, but now it is all over.
I think FFG tricked fans, we bought the game,expansions, and now they left us with uncomplete game.
I know this is bussiness for FFG but if you think in long term, this isnt good business decision.
As customer i am not sure will I invest in new FFG game (one that depends on expansions), if I know they arent willing to support it and can terminate it any given day. Maybe i will be reluctant and wait to see how game develops. and then decide wether to buy or not.

It seems to me like they want to have only Lord of the rings, star wars and game of thrones. But is illogical to abandom all other games beacuse of few games that bring money. Of course that Star wars brought them 1000x more profit then warhammer, but since they are number one on market they need to have variety of products, especially ones that arent subsitiutes for others. That is good for sales results and profit. What I meant to say - having warhammer in store on shelf isnt going to reduce sales of money maker Star wars because this is completely different game and therefore isnt substitute for other game. E.g. - if you run supermarket and sell thousands of milk and bread every day, do you have to remove all other products form shelves? shake

FFG is my favorite company (along with CGE) but it seems to me they need some business analyst or some logic.
They are launching new Runewars. Why to make completly new game and customers are begging for new battlelore 2nd edition expansions?

P.S.
I am really happy i bought this game and expansions and had really good time playing it. If somehow other company succeds to make more expansions they will get my dollars, euros, whatever they want...

Br,
Mladen

EDIT: typing errors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simicic wrote:
I think FFG tricked fans, we bought the game,expansions, and now they left us with uncomplete game.
I know this is bussiness for FFG but if you think in long term, this isnt good business decision.

For whatever it's worth, it sure looks more like Games Workshop pulled the license and not like Fantasy Flight decided they were tired of being in the Warhammer business, though it's possible verging on probable that FFG saw this coming (based on the PnP release of a partial expansion for the Warhammer Quest card game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The perp here is GW not FFG. They decided to pull outside licenses for their stuff and do it themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We are in the Diskwars forum, so who is the perp here? The lack of Diskwars expansions is solely in FFGs hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Dear David,

please dont defend them in this moment it really isnt right moment
Of course they knew they will lose the license, maybe Games Workshop demanded better terms, more royalties etc.
They had time to finish games and publish few more things if they wanted.

But instead they focused on new Lord of the rings expansion pack number 32857A - Aragorns lost twin sister vs son of Gollum, and Star Wars pack 567; New Rebbelion trooper Jabba the hut

I want happy snotlings, funny squigs, stupid giant, cunning tricky skaven assassins, crazy gobbos fanatics, zombies, and few more disks, and all i got is headache, and this ruined my friday and maybe weekend (good drama you have to admit ).
I am trying to make them feel guilty because we didnt get our reinforcements, and we warhammer diskwars fans deserved them for sure (because we even learned how to resolve complicated scrums).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren W
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely Age of Sigmar put an end to Diskwars?

With GW completely destroying the setting for their miniatures wargame and rebooting to a very different one they wouldn't allow another company to continue to support a wargame set in the old setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard rumors that a final expansion finishing the game was play tested years ago. Can anyone confirm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone up for trying to KS a deluxe final edition of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ghost Cat wrote:
Surely Age of Sigmar put an end to Diskwars?

With GW completely destroying the setting for their miniatures wargame and rebooting to a very different one they wouldn't allow another company to continue to support a wargame set in the old setting.

Surely? Quite the thread you are weaving there?

FFG is only going to make expansions if they are financially justified so the safest bet is that the first set of Warhammer Diskwars expansions didn't sell well enough to justify another round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
Anyone up for trying to KS a deluxe final edition of this.

You mean a completely re-themed version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
I've heard rumors that a final expansion finishing the game was play tested years ago. Can anyone confirm?

I don't think so - I was one of the play testers for the first pair of expansions and didn't hear anything about one last set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkartzinel wrote:
jmw23 wrote:

I don't think so - I was one of the play testers for the first pair of expansions and didn't hear anything about one last set.

Interesting. Sounds like they really never intended to finish it. Has anyone talked to the designer? I'd love to hear what might have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be awesome, I really am sad we never got enough heroes/disks to run bigger games. I'm seriously considering picking up a second copy of everything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
dkartzinel wrote:
jmw23 wrote:

Interesting. Sounds like they really never intended to finish it. Has anyone talked to the designer? I'd love to hear what might have been.

I am in the same situation as David. All I can conjecture is that we got the amazing Core Set and and expansion in its heels to give us more variety. But, the game was not as widely received and became a much lower priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.