29.3% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

poppodue poppodue
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I'm about to play the DaE campaign game, The Island. Unfortunately, victory conditions are ambiguous as spelled: is the Commonwealth supposed to win immediately upon controlling the NN8 building and exiting the 20th VP, or just at game end, whenever this takes place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say at the CG end. That's the way we played it at least. If it were something else, it would say something like "at the end of any scenario" or "at the end of any player turn".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
poppodue poppodue
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mb
Hence, you mean that victory conditions are somehow 'progressive', or 'growing': first, the Commonwealth needs to seize the building; then, and then only, have they to ex-fil troops, on condition though that the building be not taken back by the Germans. OK; why though didn't designers spell it without ambiguity, e.g., through adding something like 'at game end'?

On the other hand, supposing that the Commonwealth could ever be able to ex-fil so large a quantity of personnel, yet to be ready for a possible counter-attack on the building in case of German re-occupation seems quite unreasonable: in such a case they would be likely to lack too much firepower.

Still open to questioning, however...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brit can take out the required forces whenever he wants to, it doesn't matter as long as he has done so and controls the church at the CG end.

IIRC, was it 20 VP the British must exit? It really isn't that much when you look at how much forces they get. I think in our game the British player exited 12 or 14 VP already in the previous CG Day, or even in the day before that.

It's a great CG. I would recommend just play the game and not worry about it. IMO the path to the end of the CG is more interesting than the end result anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
poppodue poppodue
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mb
OK many thanks! I shall play it in accordance with your suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
poppodue poppodue
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, and just in case you'd be willing to play PbEM through Vassal, I'd be delighted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think most CGs are too big to play by PBeM. We played DaE CG live with VASL and Skype. But, if you create a new thread asking for a PBeM opponent to play the CG with you, I wouldn't be surprised if you would find an opponent. If you don't find an opponent from here, you can try your luck in the ASL Facebook page and/or the GameSquad forums (when they come back up again, that is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one sense CGs are great by email because there are enough units on the board that preparing files tends to be big and meaty and interesting. Small scenarios are often horrible by email, because you have so few units and have to be so careful with them that you end up making a move with one unit per file and wait to see what happens before continuing.

In another sense CGs are not great by email because they take months to play. You need 2 people who really want to finish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
poppodue poppodue
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mb
The both of you are right about the pros and cons of both CGs and playing in remote. Let me just please add that any ASL session, first and foremost the one and only ASL - the full one - is quite agitated, to say the least. Therefore, plenty of time to peruse the rulebook is likely to be a fine trade-off against such drawbacks as loss in smoothness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.