Subject: Amazon - Codenames $9.99 with FREE SHIPPING rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: once_burned [+] Obvious_scam_is_obvious [+] [View All]
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B014Q1XX9S/ref=dp_ol...

I just ordered a copy, as I had a $10 Amazon card. Wondering how likely it is that I will ever receive the game. Great deal if it works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Is the seller secretly in a country that rhymes with "China"? It's awfully suspicious when a new seller only offers the #1 and #2 bestselling items in a few categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
Is the seller secretly in a country that rhymes with "China"? It's awfully suspicious when a new seller only offers the #1 and #2 bestselling items in a few categories.

Shipping from Canada, it says. New seller, though. His other products aren't all listed at the same price, like I had seen some other scams do. Fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Lester
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very similar to the Carcassonne debacle here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1630270/deadscam-amazon-car...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add that he's apparently in Canada, but won't ship to Canada. Red flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Travelin Eli wrote:
Looks very similar to the Carcassonne debacle here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1630270/deadscam-amazon-car...

I guess I thought that the seller of Carcassonne had all of their products listed for the same, very low price. That's what stuck out to me with this one, and part of the reason I was okay with pulling the trigger on the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo De Luca
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Codenames for $10 doesn't sound like a scam at all.
Target was selling it for $15.99 and it's $13 at MM, so it's not a huge deviation from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Tsirulnikov
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
The late lamented William D. Stthomas, the seller behind the Carcassonne scam, listed this in his seller description: "William D. Stthomas is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service."

The current seller, Francis R. Rogers, also from Canada, has this as his seller description: "Francis S. Rogers is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
stably wrote:
The late lamented William D. Stthomas, the seller behind the Carcassonne scam, listed this in his seller description: "William D. Stthomas is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service."

The current seller, Francis R. Rogers, also from Canada, has this as his seller description: "Francis S. Rogers is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service."

Probably a default comment thats put in through Amazon unless you change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stably wrote:

Also, if you google "Francis S. Rogers" you get an obituary page.

And, the seller last time was in Saskatchewan, Canada. This guy is Alberta, Canada. If there was the option, I suspect he should be checking off "Scamville, Not Canada".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Lester
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's other connections as well. The Carcassonne seller also had similar Nerf items for sale and had the same just launched/new seller tags. In my mind, this 99.9% reads as a scam (coming from someone that fell for Carcassonne scam).

At the same time, I would guess it's a no-risk situation. Amazon is offering instant gift cards (price matching in some cases) for the Carcassonne claims and will probably do the same in this situation. While I don't think it's ethically correct to order if you believe it's a scam (thus intentionally costing Amazon money) and won't be placing an order, it is good to know that you will be covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
stably wrote:

This appears to be correct.

Amazon seller QB's & Pitchers -- who has also popped up on a couple of BGG Hot Deals recently -- has the exact same seller description. And BGG'ers have reported receiving games they ordered from QB's & Pitchers.

QB's & Pitchers on Amazon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod A.
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
stably wrote:

It would appear that you are correct. Check out some of the profile pages for other third-party sellers:

OracleOfMuldaya is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service.

2Fold Supply is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service.

Planet Comics is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service.

Howling Fun Games is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
nbread wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
stably wrote:

Amazon seller QB's & Pitchers -- who has also popped up on a couple of BGG Hot Deals recently -- has the exact same seller description. And BGG'ers have reported receiving games they ordered from QB's & Pitchers.

Even a blind nut finds a squirrel every once in a while!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Travelin Eli wrote:
There's other connections as well. The Carcassonne seller also had similar Nerf items for sale and had the same just launched/new seller tags. In my mind, this 99.9% reads as a scam (coming from someone that fell for Carcassonne scam).

At the same time, I would guess it's a no-risk situation. Amazon is offering instant gift cards (price matching in some cases) for the Carcassonne claims and will probably do the same in this situation. While I don't think it's ethically correct to order if you believe it's a scam (thus intentionally costing Amazon money) and won't be placing an order, it is good to know that you will be covered.

Hmm...interesting... well... I didnt pay any money out of pocket, I used a 10 dollar Amazon card from work...but its nice to know that Ill either get my card back, or receive the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Max
United States
Cinci
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem with purchasing products that you almost certainly know are a scam is that it emboldens the scammer, and causes them to create new seller names to repeat the scam (especially in the board game category). After a while, it will be harder and harder to trust any 3rd party game sellers on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tuxedomouse wrote:
The biggest problem with purchasing products that you almost certainly know are a scam is that it emboldens the scammer, and causes them to create new seller names to repeat the scam (especially in the board game category). After a while, it will be harder and harder to trust any 3rd party game sellers on Amazon.

Well, its tough to KNOW that. So, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emperordahc
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
As the poor soul who started the infamous Carcassonne thread, I'm yelling that this is the same seller.

- Using a long proper name again
- Similar random Nerf and toy selection
- Canada
- Just launched

Avoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
emperordahc wrote:
As the poor soul who started the infamous Carcassonne thread, I'm yelling that this is the same seller.

- Canada
- Just launched

Avoid.

I guess Im the poor soul this time out. Oh well.

I cant file a claim yet, but Ill probably have to do that once it opens up for me to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emperordahc
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
jnowak415 wrote:

I cant file a claim yet, but Ill probably have to do that once it opens up for me to...

Claims will by default only open after the seller has shipped it and the delivery window has expired. (BTW, the seller will always mark it as shipped, since that's when the money is put in their balance. Amazon only actually sends them the cash every couple weeks; I'm a seller, I know.)

To speed this up for you: make sure you've tried to contact the seller first (I'd do it right now, asking them when it will ship, etc.). You'll need to have done that and them not respond; customer service will see that. (Not responding to a customer within 24 hours is ticked as a negative on their account.) Also, when the seller "ships" it and you get a tracking number, check the number of characters. Amazon automatically checks those and knows if they're fake, also helping with your claim. (Their automated system ticks a negative on their account.) As soon as you've gotten that tracking number, contact Amazon over chat instead of using the claim form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
emperordahc wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

Claims will by default only open after the seller has shipped it and the delivery window has expired. (BTW, the seller will always mark it as shipped, since that's when the money is put in their balance. Amazon only actually sends them the cash every couple weeks; I'm a seller, I know.)

To speed this up for you: make sure you've tried to contact the seller first (I'd do it right now, asking them when it will ship, etc.). You'll need to have done that and them not respond; customer service will see that. Also, when the seller "ships" it and you get a tracking number, check the number of characters. Amazon automatically checks those and knows if they're fake, also helping with your claim. As soon as you've gotten that tracking number, contact Amazon over chat instead of using the claim form.

Oh, okay, all very good info to have, thank you! I have already contacted the seller, a couple times, asking about shipping and such. I guess I'll just keep checking back, and then once it says "shipped" I can go ahead and contact customer service/file a claim.

Thanks again for all the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Tsirulnikov
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
jnowak415 wrote:
nbread wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
stably wrote:

Even a blind nut finds a squirrel every once in a while!

I did not know that... modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emperordahc
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
nbread wrote:

Yea, I received Seeland from QB's & Pitcher's a week or so ago, and it was perfect.

I randomly checked a few Amazon seller's profiles (that had good ratings), and several are "_________ is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service", so, yea, that's just default text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emperordahc wrote:

- Canada
- Just launched

Avoid.

Blame Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ard Mhacha
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does Amazon do any sort of checking before allowing a seller on their website?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.