Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got the game and one bit in the rulebook seems very confusing to me, though I'm not sure how exactly it will end up being important, since I've barely started my first solo game.

Toward the end of the book, in the section with rules that don't fit anywhere else, there is this:
Quote:

Zero and No Value

...If an effect reduces a hero's Magic Attack to zero, that hero still has Magic Attack. It's just at zero.

However, having zero of something (e.g. Magic Attack) does not count as having that something present, nor does it satisfy a requirement like "Magic Attack required".

Huh?

So if something reduces your Magic Attack to zero, you still have it... except that when something is zero, it's not present and doesn't satisfy requirements.

So how do you "still have it" if it's not "present" and doesn't meet requirements? Under what circumstance is "having it" not the same as "present"? This is a subtlety of language beyond my ken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't need to worry about this, this is just something that might come up in an edge case. I've played over 30 times, and have never had this situation come up before. But here are some examples:

Say there is a monster card that makes you destroy a card before battle begins if you don't have any magic attack. Now say you have a hero with +2 Magic Attack, and for some reason, your Magic Attack is reduced to 0. For the benefit of the monster's ability you still have Magic Attack, even though it is at 0, and therefore you do not have to destroy a card. If all you had was Physical Attack, then you would have to destroy a card.

This is different than if a monster card (for example one that needs 6 attack to kill it) says it requires Magic Attack. If a monster requires Magic Attack, that means you require at least 1 point of Magic Attack to kill it (out of the 6). The other 5 points of attack can be Magic or Physical. So in this situation, having Magic Attack that is reduced to 0 will not work.

And if the monster card says it is immune to Physical Attack, then all of the required points of attack must be Magical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks, I think I get it now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.