10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Elementary Students lunch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
Looking for ideas of games to play with elementary age students at lunchtime. Looking for ideas of games that are quick to teach to that age as well as inexpensive to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your time limit for playing?
Player count?
Any other criteria? (small footprint, pieces that can resist schmutz, etc)
Elementary first grade or elementary fourth grade?

I have Zombie Dice and Pairs in my car as the "waiting for our meal at a restaurant" games; my son and I got in a couple of games of Pairs last night waiting for pizza. (Admittedly the gambling similarity might not be appropriate, but it's a push your luck quick card game.) I would expect both could be played easily by elementary school students.

Maybe a version of Telestrations with pre-determined worlds that are within their knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
Would need to play in about 15-20 minutes at most. Have K-5 so may need a variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dino Hunt Dice
Get Bit
Sushi Go
Love Letter (I'd suggest Adventure Time version)
Apples to Apples - Kids enjoy just the guessing part and silliness with no need to play a full game to ending points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely agree with
Apples to Apples for this scenario. You could
probably pick up a copy for <5 bucks at a thrift store, and it can be very free form play.
Wits and Wagers Family can probably play in that length - or just play 5 questions, or till time runs out. Lower player count but could play teams.
Not sure if you have room for dexterity games, but kid should enjoy
Tok Tok Woodman/Click Clack Lumberjack and
Loopin' Louie. TTW/CCL could play in something like five minutes. It could be frustrating for real little ones though.
SET if you want to make it somewhat educational (discerning patterns, but maybe a little advanced for the littler ones.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeping Queens card game by Gamewright. I led an afternoon game group for a year, and no matter what new exciting games I brought, this game was always picked first and played the entire time. (a real favorite of 1st graders, but even played by 2nd through 4th graders). Probably 10-20 minute game length.

City Square Off only a 2-player game, another Gamewright, but a hit with the kids and teachers. 5-10 minute game length, easily played by age 5 & up.

These were the 2 games that parents and teachers ended up asking me about and then buying for their homes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
Those are some good suggestions. I am also thinking about Roll for It and Rhino Hero. Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kindergarten
Loopin' Louie
Rhino Hero
Animal Upon Animal
Blokus Duo

First Grade
Add
The Magic Labyrinth

Second Grade
Add
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
Blokus 3D
Spot it!

Third Grade
Add
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Sushi Go!
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
BANG! The Dice Game
Onitama

Fourth and Fifth Grade
Add
Coup
BattleCON: War of Indines
Red7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jill e gamer wrote:
Sleeping Queens card game by Gamewright. I led an afternoon game group for a year, and no matter what new exciting games I brought, this game was always picked first and played the entire time. (a real favorite of 1st graders, but even played by 2nd through 4th graders). Probably 10-20 minute game length.

City Square Off only a 2-player game, another Gamewright, but a hit with the kids and teachers. 5-10 minute game length, easily played by age 5 & up.

These were the 2 games that parents and teachers ended up asking me about and then buying for their homes.

Gr3 loves Sleeping Queens. It's the only card game that gets played and it's always out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.