$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.3% of Goal | left

Support:

CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think first offense gets a firm warning.

Second offense, the old nun ruler rap on the fingers.

Third offense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was blessed with a group that really takes care of their stuff. It's the bloody dog...

Kind of a side point though I bought a game (Thurn and Taxis) off a friend who claimed they played it once and didn't like it. Cool, near mint copy, just need to pay for shipping was the deal!

There were
- missing houses (I had to contact the publisher to get more)
- 3 bonus tokens were peeling. We had to pull a couple layers off and re-glue them
- the cards have seen better days.

Maybe he got it used but I think he just treats his games like crap. I believe he said later the game was left in his van with the windows down and it rained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Third offense...

And if they still insist on offending after the third response ... blow them away. (They have shown themselves to be haunted recidivists who simply do not deserve to be anywhere near a gaming table) shake devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a serious note, I belong to that group who are very fastidious as regards the care of a game's components. Card sleeves are a must and, after all, careful handling of cards and map tiles isn't that hard to do (and is respectful to the actual owner of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Francois
Belgium
Bruges
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
On a serious note, I belong to that group who are very fastidious as regards the care of a game's components. Card sleeves are a must and, after all, careful handling of cards and map tiles isn't that hard to do (and is respectful to the actual owner of the game).

I fully agree with with the above and most of the games in our group also have all components protected where possible. However I don't tend to re-invite players that 'abuse' or don't respect the game components they're playing with. Especially if it's not their game to start with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am honestly THE worst offender with this. I have twice spilled beer on my copies of Ascension. But that's kind of key right there, they're my games.

However, that said, I am instituting a rule about food. If wings are purchased they are eaten in the kitchen, at the table, over a plate.

Last week I had wing sauce on multiple pages of my Mysterium rulebook, on my kitchen table, on my counters, and down the side of my fridge. I'm 95% sure the person who created the mess in my kitchen is the same as the person who got sauce on my rulebook. I understand that when food is present at game night accidents will happen, but that's a bit beyond the pale.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I know exactly who got sauce on my rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a demerit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
Detroit metro area
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do whatever you want with your own games, but if you damage someone else's game, you replace it. Period. No dickering over whether the damage was "bad enough." I don't care if it's OOP and costs $500. You replace it. Maybe next time you will be more careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
Detroit metro area
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
How about a demerit?

I'd prefer to send them to Detention with Dolores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Last week I had wing sauce on multiple pages of my Mysterium rulebook, on my kitchen table, on my counters, and down the side of my fridge. I'm 95% sure the person who created the mess in my kitchen is the same as the person who got sauce on my rulebook. I understand that when food is present at game night accidents will happen, but that's a bit beyond the pale.

Were that to happen to me, I would have a meltdown that would make Sheldon Cooper look rational. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Minor" damage to something that is related to their favorite hobby.

Such as a paint or upholstery scratch on a car being restored, pencil doodles on a favorite comic book, a bend in a vinyl record, etc.

It is, after all, the same thing and does not interfere with the usability of their hobby items, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
morris9597 wrote:

Were that to happen to me, I would have a meltdown that would make Sheldon Cooper look rational. gulp

Well I didn't notice the kitchen mess until the next day when I was cleaning up. And if I'm being honest, It didn't take but maybe an extra minutes longer than usual. It's more the principle of the thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in most cases, components are easily replaceable. In every instance where I received a game with a missing component, or I had the unfortunate experience of myself or someone else ruining a game component, the producer was more than happy to send me a replacement.

If the game is out of print, then, I would look at other solutions for replacement. For instance, in the Thrifters guild on here, there's a section for missing/replacement pieces, so it's possible I could get the piece from them.

If that doesn't work, maybe, if it's a card, for instance, print out a replacement, and sleeve the cards.

I understand some people are caught up in having a perfect, unscratched copy of their game, and honestly, those people need to understand the risks that could present themselves if they bring the game out to play.

Third offense should be a severe "Hey, shit happens dude, no worries, I'm sure the producer will replace it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
They are forced to go SIMless without assistance in the Shadowrun dimension you undoubtedly have set up in a closet.

That or they have to send over money to repay for replacements if they ruin (tear/rip/spill over) more than one card/model or whatever.
'But you can't get spares pieces in this country.'
'I know! So you pay for a new copy of the game, and you get to keep this version!'

Much like people scratching a guitar, or pushing a pick up in to the body, if someone ruins your games in a big way then they should pay to make up for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Third offense...

Harsh but fair.

But what if it's a woman who bent the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
I think in most cases, components are easily replaceable. In every instance where I received a game with a missing component, or I had the unfortunate experience of myself or someone else ruining a game component, the producer was more than happy to send me a replacement.

If the game is out of print, then, I would look at other solutions for replacement. For instance, in the Thrifters guild on here, there's a section for missing/replacement pieces, so it's possible I could get the piece from them.

If that doesn't work, maybe, if it's a card, for instance, print out a replacement, and sleeve the cards.

I understand some people are caught up in having a perfect, unscratched copy of their game, and honestly, those people need to understand the risks that could present themselves if they bring the game out to play.

Third offense should be a severe "Hey, shit happens dude, no worries, I'm sure the producer will replace it."

I get what you're saying, Carl, but I disagree.

Why should I need to take my time and make the effort to replace game components/cards because some inconsiderate jackass messed them up in the first place? I take care of my stuff (games, books, cars, home, etc.), I expect some level of consideration in return.

If I were to damage a fellow gamers components, it is ON ME to 1) Apologize, and 2) replace the damaged item or otherwise make it right. Since I don't want to do all that, I'm careful with other people's things.

I'm posted this experience before: Was playing D&D. Gamer friend's son stained one of my rulebooks. His father offered to replace it...I said "no, worries, it happens." Two sessions later the kid messes up another one of my books. This time I insist on a replacement. Guess what? His dad kept him away from my books ever since. See? First time no consequence led to a repeat offense. Once dad had to buy me a new book...no more problems. I don't need a "perfect, unscratched copy," but I sure as hell don't want red slurpy stains in my books (nor my games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all there are no drinks (even water) or snacks when playing games. I will vet a new gamers guests out on an easy/cheap/replaceable game like Skip-Bo (BTW I hate Skip-Bo). More often it's Love Letter or or Coup (both of which are sleeved). If they use care we'll move on to something more complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You do know I was kidding about the past your prime poll, right?

Right???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Third offense...

That's too lenient.

1st offense is new game

2nd is new game and banishment from group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Third offense...

Why not just sentence them to 24 hours straight of the SIMS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voice of Reason wrote:
agentkuo wrote:

I get what you're saying, Carl, but I disagree.

Why should I need to take my time and make the effort to replace game components/cards because some inconsiderate jackass messed them up in the first place? I take care of my stuff (games, books, cars, home, etc.), I expect some level of consideration in return.

Yet you play games with inconsiderate jackasses? I don't follow your logic. Most of the time, unless you're playing with non-gamers, who don't know better, it's an accident that causes damage. But what you're saying is, you just bring out games with total jackasses, and complain when they ruin your stuff? Still seems like you're responsible.

I would counter your argument with...it's not that big of a deal to contact the publisher, but if it is to you, then make them do it?

Quote:
If I were to damage a fellow gamers components, it is ON ME to 1) Apologize, and 2) replace the damaged item or otherwise make it right. Since I don't want to do all that, I'm careful with other people's things.

Yes, those are your beliefs about the matter, but not everyone is going to feel the same way, whether you're right or wrong. I think the most important thing to do in this situation is let them understand your point of view, and if they understand, great, if they don't, you might want to reconsider playing games with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

A friend has a relatively similar device.

It's a rat guillotine, used when a lab is doing drug tests, so they can't "sacrifice" the rat using a drug.

So, when my friend got her PhD, she was given one as a present. (The lab had somehow gotten an extra.)

I asked her whether she was going to put it in her bathroom, which puzzled her greatly. "Put the seat down, or else!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let them play with DICE !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tar and feather them. Depending on their background, then also kneecap them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.