Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Only 1 expansion - which to get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed this so far, and there's a fair chance I'll eventually end up getting both, but right now, I just can't afford it.

Based on what we know (FFG preview articles, experience of 1st edition components), if someone was only getting one of the new packs, which would you recommend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say without knowing the scenario, but Suppressed Memories gives you the cool outdoor tiles from Call of the Wild and the Dark Young and (presumably) Dunwich Horror minis, so I'd lean that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about 1E but I've seen elsewhere that the supressed memories scenario includes Dunwich Horror, which is supposed to be pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
Also important to point out that the preview for Suppressed Memories' scenario Cult of Sentinel Hill mentions map variations. Doesn't mean the other one doesn't have variations of its own, just unconfirmed at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Christ!
I just saw the pricing for the expansions. That's insane. They are half the cost of the game, but have quarter of the scenarios. I almost think you're better off waiting on any expansions and see if they start releasing more scenarios on the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in the previews, they also showed how difficult and long each scenario is. I think the base 1st ed is 3 star and the FA/COTW is 5 stars. May that be a factor in your choice?

Base 1st ed content is more akin to a haunted house environment and has tiles for the interior of a building. Expansion stuff from COTW is more about wilderness and features more outdoor tiles. Forbidden alchemy is lab stuff but from what I recall it doesn't have many new tiles. Do you have a preference for either environments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Dark63 wrote:
Christ!
I just saw the pricing for the expansions. That's insane. They are half the cost of the game, but have quarter of the scenarios. I almost think you're better off waiting on any expansions and see if they start releasing more scenarios on the app.

They are miniature and tile collections rather that proper expansions.

Waiting and seeing how future scenarios are released and what components they will require or use before buying is a good idea though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that these are out, and people have actually had a chance to play the new scenarios, what are people's impressions?

It feels (logically) to me like I should go for the base game first, and the expansion later overall, I think the investigators and Monsters from the first one sound better.

That said, we seem to suffer a lot more from going insane than getting wounded, which is pushing me towards having a walking King James Bible as an investigator (I forget her name). Also, a 5-difficulty scenario sounds nasty, and a 3 feels a lot more realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Now that these are out, and people have actually had a chance to play the new scenarios, what are people's impressions?

It feels (logically) to me like I should go for the base game first, and the expansion later overall, I think the investigators and Monsters from the first one sound better.

That said, we seem to suffer a lot more from going insane than getting wounded, which is pushing me towards having a walking King James Bible as an investigator (I forget her name). Also, a 5-difficulty scenario sounds nasty, and a 3 feels a lot more realistic.

I've got both coming this weekend. But from what I have heard, one of the scenarios is good, the other is a bit weak. Sorry, I just don't know which is which.

If you had to get one, my suggestion would be Suppressed Memories, simply because that would be the one to sell out first. The reason is because this expansion contains the tilesets from 1st editions first two expansions (Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemey). So those with only 1st edition Mansions of Madness do not need to get Recurring Nightmare (which contains MoM 1st edition base game tiles and minis), but do need to get Suppressed Memories for completion.

It also seems that copies of Suppressed Memories is selling out but not so for Recurring Nightmare (Miniature Market sold out of it, but CoolStuffInc still has plenty of both).

That said, if you don't mind waiting on an FFG reprint, than you should definitely wait. There is plenty of game in the base box. I only went for me because I was so impressed with he 1st scenario and what they have done with the app that I wanted to support more content, so I voted with my dollar.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.