Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I'm looking for more games like munchkin and smash up. They're nerdy enough that I feel good playing them, but don't take themselves seriously in a way that my not so nerdy wife will play them. They can be cut throat, dirty, and strategic, but are simple to learn. They take an approach to the card game that isn't a straight up deal damage to the opponent MTG style type game. Essentially for me, these are the perfect type of game to fit my life and taste. Anyone know anything that might fit the bill?

For the record, deck builders like dominion or legendary aren't really my thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe Treasures & Traps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Dungeon ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Treasure and Traps sells for so cheap that I might as well pull the trigger and buy it.

I have actually had my eye on welcome to the dungeon, so that just reinforces my idea that I should try it. I saw that tabletop was going to do a show on it, so I was waiting for that to come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the monster-fighting style you mentioned, but Port Royal is amazing: easy to learn, quick to play, great fun, can include some moves to annoy your neighbor or be nice to them, depending on how you feel. It is really good. Even ordering from Germany through Amazon it is still under $20. Definitely worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steingraber
United States
Manawa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omen: Reign of War might be up one, it isn't very hard to learn. Although I just looked it up on the publisher's website and it's currently out of print.

My wife enjoys playing Lost Cities with me but that might not be nerdy enough. Cockroach Poker if you want to stare into each other's eyes and question how well you really know your partner.

More recently I've really had some good times teaching Red7 to people, it doesn't have many rules and is a nice little brain puzzler, but it has even less of a nerdy theme unless you think colors and numbers are nerdy I suppose.

Sushi Go! Isn't a bad little card game either.
Best Treehouse Ever if you want a cuter slightly more complex card game with a few different choices to explore.
Among the Stars if you want a nerdier tile version.

How about cooperative games? Sentinels of the Multiverse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Unrau
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chez Geek! It's another Steve Jackson game along the lines of Munchkin, but the theme is that players are a bunch of roommates. Each player gets a job card that outlines free time and income, and each player also has a "slack goal" and is trying to get through life doing as little work as possible. Check it out on Tabletop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you like Munchkin, you might like Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
How about some of these?

Splendor
Jaipur
Targi
Battle Line
Love Letter
Hanabi
Libertalia
Last Will
Lost Cities
Coup
Sushi Go!
Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I both like Dead Man's Draw. Good mix of take that and push your luck with the cards having special powers. Some cards allow you to take your opponents cards for yourself and some let you just blow up your opponent's cards so they lose the potential points. Very easy game to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Chez Geek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game

It's feels very unique to me, and doesn't take itself too seriously. It has some nerdy references and pixel graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bolton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Mystic Vale. It is a deck builder. You draw cards and gain mana. Then use that mana to buy enhancements to power up your deck. Simple , easy, quick.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194607/mystic-vale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bolton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xN1NJA_TURTLESx wrote:

Look at this noob, Geez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone's already mentioned the classically 'better' games in this department, and I co-sign Cockroach Poker, Mascarade and the list given by TheGodsMustBeCrazy ...

BUT

... if it's friendly, accessible, not-too-strategic, chaotic, take-that silliness you're after then, for 4-8 players at this type of game, it's hard to beat SmileyFace. I know. It works, though. Dirt cheap, too, if you can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
+1 Lost Cities There is no game in our collection that my wife and I play more.

+1 Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game Totally fits yours nerdy but not too nerdy need. This was the first game I purchased when getting into tabletop games. I love it for it's theme and artwork, but my wife will play it gladly.

+1 Sushi Go! But this is definitely more of a group thing. If you like drafting, you may be interested in Fairy Tale

I was also thinking a fun option might be Exploding Kittens It's a silly press your luck game with explosions and cats that look like watermelons, beards and tacos.

Gaming with my wife is one of the best parts of our relationship. Good luck to you in your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
How about Citadels or Lost Legacy: The Starship both are fun games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly Dungeon Crawler though it plays best solo, IMO.
It isn't overtly 'cheeky' but a lot of the art is campy and I get that sort of over-the-top Munchkin-esque feel when playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Penny Arcade: The Game – Gamers vs. Evil might get your atention even though it's deckbuilder.
I'm guessing Harbour might interest you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for enter the dungeon.

I also love Exploding kittens and Kittens in a Blender.

But apparently I don't like kittens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
I would recommend

Coup
Roll For It!
Mhing
It's Just A Theory
The Resistance: Avalon
Two Rooms and a Boom
Spyfall

Not all of these are completely munchkin like, but they are good fun card games that are about the same level of complexity and are great fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel W
United States
New York
flag msg tools
HyattGlenn wrote:
+1 for enter the dungeon.

I also love Exploding kittens and Kittens in a Blender.

But apparently I don't like kittens...

I am with you...I enjoy the game but I do not like kittens.

For some reason I am also not a fan of the illustration and color combination of the kitten cards. But the concept is fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.