Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
You keep giving us reason after reason to maintain and expand our missile defense:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/world/asia/north-korea-nuc...

or (since you might hit a paywall)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/09/09/north-ko...

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least he is young enough that I should be employed through retirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. How many missiles do you think we need to defend ourselves from North Korea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
Interesting. How many missiles do you think we need to defend ourselves from North Korea?

I guess you do not know what missile defense is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
mrspank wrote:

So an infinite number then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mrspank wrote:

Clearly that is the right response....
Does a laser count as a missile?
What about some other sort of DEFENSE technology?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mrspank wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_national_missile...

I kinda think you're getting confused? They're referring to the systems in place to intercept/divert/eliminate missiles headed into US territory.

That said, honestly, there is a fair argument that North Korea needs to be put down very badly.

EDIT: I saw that Dashi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
You keep giving us reason after reason to maintain and expand our missile defense:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/world/asia/north-korea-nuc...

or (since you might hit a paywall)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/09/09/north-ko...

Ferret

Obviously, the modern world will continue to necessitate development of missile defense. It also underscores the need for our involvement in the greater Pacific arena both to provide a counterweight to aggression and in terms of constructive engagement.

By the way, since you folks are so fond of prognosticating that Iran will have nukes because..."thanks Obama" what thoughts do you have about George Bushes tenure since North Korea developed nukes in 2006, six years into Bushes term. Was North Korea not worth the same amount of hand wringing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Unfortunately, every time the US and/or South Korea bolstered anti-missile defense systems in the area, freakin' Commie China goes nuts. And the Reds are the ones giving that inbred piece of shit the technology and the materials to make the missiles and the nukes. Hell, the PRC probably has weapons scientists there helping the DPRK.

But even Kim isn't stupid enough to lob a missile at the US or its allies. The northern half of that peninsula would be laid to waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Rulesjd wrote:
Obviously, the modern world will continue to necessitate development of missile defense. It also underscores the need for our involvement in the greater Pacific arena both to provide a counterweight to aggression and in terms of constructive engagement.

Well, hell, let's all just hold hands and sing Kumbyeya....

The Commie Chinese have long-term plans and goals to dominate the entire Pacific and much of Asia. They don't give a crap about what we want (witness their piracy of patents from the US and other countries) and they love having the nuttiest bar in town, i.e. North Korea, right next to them to help them tweak the West, Japan, the Philippines, et. al. I'm a peaceful guy, but we have to maintain a strong military presence in the area, and beef up our allies. That's why the recent warming of relations between Vietnam and the US is a good idea. The Vietnamese hate the Chinese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Well, hell, let's all just hold hands and sing Kumbyeya....

The Commie Chinese have long-term plans and goals to dominate the entire Pacific and much of Asia. They don't give a crap about what we want (witness their piracy of patents from the US and other countries) and they love having the nuttiest bar in town, i.e. North Korea, right next to them to help them tweak the West, Japan, the Philippines, et. al. I'm a peaceful guy, but we have to maintain a strong military presence in the area, and beef up our allies. That's why the recent warming of relations between Vietnam and the US is a good idea. The Vietnamese hate the Chinese.

Or wah call the wammbalance those evil commie bastard countries wont let us push them around and let us force our corporation bought laws on them ,

Also we have to keep the corporatr welfare programs going by spending more on defense, after all having the largiest military by at least a factor of 10 in the world isn't god enough - even ceo's have to eat you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
The Commie Chinese have long-term plans and goals to dominate the entire Pacific and much of Asia. They don't give a crap about what we want (witness their piracy of patents from the US and other countries) and they love having the nuttiest bar in town, i.e. North Korea, right next to them to help them tweak the West

China doesn't like North Korea. They aggravate them almost as much as the West. China wants stability on the peninsula. They tolerate them so they don't have both a pro-US country directly on their border and/or a flood of 25 million refugees with no real skills. China is trying to act as a moderating force to both keep NK existing but also in check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
TheDashi wrote:
At least he is young enough that I should be employed through retirement.

Heheheh....yeah, there's that.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
mrspank wrote:

Missiles != missile defense.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Rulesjd wrote:

Concur!

Rulesjd wrote:

By the way, since you folks

Not sure who "you folks" is here...hope you aren't being racist.

Rulesjd wrote:

are so fond of prognosticating that Iran will have nukes because..."thanks Obama"

They will, in about 10 years. At least that's what they believe, and honestly they have some pretty damn good engineers over there -- I'm inclined to believe them.

Is there some reason you don't?

Rulesjd wrote:

what thoughts do you have about George Bushes tenure since North Korea developed nukes in 2006, six years into Bushes term.

Bush wasn't conservative and he utterly fat-fingered the whole North Korea situation. Rather like Clinton let China steal much of our stealth tech a decade before, and Obama funded Iran's nuke development going forward.

Lots of reasons to be mad at various presidents.

Rulesjd wrote:

Was North Korea not worth the same amount of hand wringing?

I wasn't on RSP at that time, but if you peruse Reddit and That Which Digg Used to Be you'll find I was quite the foe of what Bush was doing at the time.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
China doesn't really care if North Korea is a radioactive nightmare hellscape as long as the USA doesn't have any influence there. So far keeping starving people there is cost effective...but it won't be forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
2, one to change the bulb one to hold the ladder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
mrspank wrote:

3, one to counter the first DPRK missile, one to take out Kim Jong-Un, and one magic missile +19 to defeat the Demigorgon that influenced him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Being the devil's advocate here, but from their prospective can you really blame them. How many countries has the U.S. directly attacked that had nukes? So can you blame them for wanting some.

On a more realistic note, it's a good way to get foreign aid fro free. Worked for his dad, worked for him. Give us food/other essentials and we will stop developing nuclear weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
mrspank wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ironcates wrote:
3, one to counter the first DPRK missile, one to take out Kim Jong-Un, and one magic missile +19 to defeat the Demigorgon that influenced him.
4, as there might become a "Gazebo"-encounter! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
mrspank wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mrspank wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_national_missile...

I kinda think you're getting confused? They're referring to the systems in place to intercept/divert/eliminate missiles headed into US territory.

That said, honestly, there is a fair argument that North Korea needs to be put down very badly.

EDIT: I saw that Dashi.

I'm not confused. I was being sarcastic. The idea that we need to expand our missile defense system every time North Korea tests another nuclear weapon underground sounds crazy to me.

So I tried to pin down exactly how many anti-missile measures Dashi thought we would need in response, knowing full well that he has no idea how many we already have in the first place. I knew I wouldn't get a good answer before I started this trolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Bush wasn't conservative and he utterly fat-fingered the whole North Korea situation.

Ferret

Interesting. What do you think Bush should have done to stop North Korea from developing nuclear weapons? How would you have succeeded where he failed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:

China doesn't like North Korea. They aggravate them almost as much as the West. China wants stability on the peninsula. They tolerate them so they don't have both a pro-US country directly on their border and/or a flood of 25 million refugees with no real skills. China is trying to act as a moderating force to both keep NK existing but also in check.

True, but they aren't doing a very good job of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
ironcates wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
mrspank wrote:

Hmmmm............

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
mrspank wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Bush wasn't conservative and he utterly fat-fingered the whole North Korea situation.

Ferret

Interesting. What do you think Bush should have done to stop North Korea from developing nuclear weapons? How would you have succeeded where he failed?

Ah, nice try but I never said "I would have succeeded". I would have simply done more to hopefully dissuade them or stop them.

More/deeper sanctions, perhaps tariffs/trade embargoes on anything we bought from them (though I don't think that's much), widening of the international sanctions would have all been possibilities. Covert ops to sabotage and destroy facilities, mines, etc. wouldn't have been out of consideration. Kinda depends on what my advisers and experts had to say on the subject.

Why, what would you have done?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.