$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 93.95

6,057 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
38.2% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
26 
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Dunwich Legacy (Deluxe Expansion) Announced! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this will be getting some big support right off the bat--as in later this year! I don't remember the cycles for the other LCGs, but it also seems to mean there won't be a Mythos Cycle that just feeds into the core set. Five new investigators and the first two parts of the Dunwich Legacy campaign--which takes place after the events of The Dunwich Horror--makes it seem nice and beefy. And yes, they mention a "complete playset of each" card in the article. Also, I never realized how nefarious the campaign system could be with stories being spread through the deluxe expansion + the cycle cards. Crafty!

Check it out for yourself!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb


I'm not sure if I've just missed it earlier, but is this the first time we've seen some information about how deckbuilding works? I'm really loving that each character has their own unique deckbuilding restrictions, seems like it adds a ton of flavor to them. (Also, Zoey is one of my favorite Arkham Horror characters flavor-wise, so I'm excited to see her reappear so early)

I'm quite excited that we've got a deluxe expansion coming right off the bat! Bring it on!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Jim Culver is good news. I like the black man with a horn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! It comes out this year.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting Deckbuilding requirements in that image. I'm curious if the 1 random weakness is different ever game in the campaign, and if you can look at it while you are building the rest of your deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Also they showed an arcane spell! Yay!!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it looks like this is not a continuation of the core set?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah looks like the Core is it's own mini campaign. then this kicks off the first cycle's campaign. Also it introduces five new investigators, which is pretty huge to increase player deck variety right at the beginning of the game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume they've made the core set a standalone adventure so you don't have to buy expansion packs to complete it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
modernlife wrote:
I assume they've made the core set a standalone adventure so you don't have to buy expansion packs to complete it.


From that perspective, that makes sense.

From the perspective of someone who is going to buy whatever drops (me) it's a little disappointing.

On the third hand it is nice that you can have a mini campaign to play with non-regular players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
On the third hand it is nice that you can have a mini campaign to play with non-regular players.

That third hand is a giveaway of hideous influences from beyond our reality.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it disappointing? I'm curious because I think it's pretty smart to have the core be self contained. I'm not sure there is much of a downside since this box will be released before Christmas which means we'll have both a short self contained campaign and the start of a larger campaign pretty quickly after the release of the game.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
So this will be getting some big support right off the bat--as in later this year! I don't remember the cycles for the other LCGs, but it also seems to mean there won't be a Mythos Cycle that just feeds into the core set. Five new investigators and the first two parts of the Dunwich Legacy campaign--which takes place after the events of The Dunwich Horror--makes it seem nice and beefy. And yes, they mention a "complete playset of each" card in the article. Also, I never realized how nefarious the campaign system could be with stories being spread through the deluxe expansion + the cycle cards. Crafty!

Check it out for yourself!


So wait, it comes with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
Very interesting Deckbuilding requirements in that image. I'm curious if the 1 random weakness is different ever game in the campaign, and if you can look at it while you are building the rest of your deck.

I think you only build your deck once, before you begin the campaign. Between scenarios you can upgrade cards using experience, but I don't think you change other cards in your deck. So your character keeps the same weaknesses, which makes sense since your character remains the same person during the entire campaign.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can you announce an expansion for a game that's not even out yet?
Oh yeah, FFG...that's their thing.

Anyway, I'm excited.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
How can you announce an expansion for a game that's not even out yet?
Oh yeah, FFG...that's their thing.

Anyway, I'm excited.


We were FFG'd.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for 1-2 players, do you think the proximity between core and expansion changes the need for buy 2 cores?

(assuming 2 cores are really needed for a "full game" experience)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Why is it disappointing? I'm curious because I think it's pretty smart to have the core be self contained. I'm not sure there is much of a downside since this box will be released before Christmas which means we'll have both a short self contained campaign and the start of a larger campaign pretty quickly after the release of the game.


Agreed. Core sets are usually meant to be self-contained experiences, mainly used for introductory purposes and getting the core cards needed to get into the game. I think more people would be upset if the Core Set left on a cliffhanger and forced people to buy into expansions just to finish the campaign.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
for 1-2 players, do you think the proximity between core and expansion changes the need for buy 2 cores?

(assuming 2 cores are really needed for a "full game" experience)

Interesting question. With such a small deck size (30 cards), and the new investigators being allowed 5 different level 0 cards from any class plus having 2 copies of all the new player cards coming in the expansion, what's the likelihood of needing a second copy of any given card from the core set?

My thought is that you can certainly play (and enjoy) without a second core set, though it may be that you find a few cards you really wish you had 2 copies of, and the only way to get them is to buy a second core set.

It really does seem wasteful. So much of a second core set is wasted anyway (all the scenario/encounter cards plus duplicate investigator cards and their special cards plus chaos tokens, bag, rules, etc.) that it seems a shame to buy a second set just for duplicates of the player cards, especially when you may only include a few of those duplicates in your deck anyway.

But of course if you really want two copies of several of your primary class cards, it's the only way to get them. Hmmm.

Is it worth it? Good question.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
for 1-2 players, do you think the proximity between core and expansion changes the need for buy 2 cores?

(assuming 2 cores are really needed for a "full game" experience)


Buying 2 core sets is more about an individual's desire to "have it all" than anything else. It is about being a completionist. I highly doubt your experience with the game will be diminished by only having 1 core set. And likely it won't be all that greatly enhanced by having 2 core sets.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
for 1-2 players, do you think the proximity between core and expansion changes the need for buy 2 cores?

(assuming 2 cores are really needed for a "full game" experience)


Even if this expansion wasn't coming out, I don't think two cores will be necessary to getting the full game experience. I mean you can still play through the entirety of the campaign with fully playable decks. Most LCG core sets are designed that way; it's just the hardcore deck building players or competitive players that will want multiple cores.

For Arkham, if you want all the deck building options and a complete playset of every card, then you'll want to eventually get two cores. But I doubt it'll change your experience much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ralsar wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:
for 1-2 players, do you think the proximity between core and expansion changes the need for buy 2 cores?

(assuming 2 cores are really needed for a "full game" experience)


. And likely it won't be all that greatly enhanced by having 2 core sets.


Unless you want to play with more than 2 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windmilling wrote:
ralsar wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:
for 1-2 players, do you think the proximity between core and expansion changes the need for buy 2 cores?

(assuming 2 cores are really needed for a "full game" experience)


. And likely it won't be all that greatly enhanced by having 2 core sets.


Unless you want to play with more than 2 players.


Yeah but he said "for 1-2 players" so I assumed he wasn't interested in more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Windmilling wrote:
Eyefink wrote:
So this will be getting some big support right off the bat--as in later this year! I don't remember the cycles for the other LCGs, but it also seems to mean there won't be a Mythos Cycle that just feeds into the core set. Five new investigators and the first two parts of the Dunwich Legacy campaign--which takes place after the events of The Dunwich Horror--makes it seem nice and beefy. And yes, they mention a "complete playset of each" card in the article. Also, I never realized how nefarious the campaign system could be with stories being spread through the deluxe expansion + the cycle cards. Crafty!

Check it out for yourself!


So wait, it comes with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes?


Yes, and all of them have tentacles and make you lose the last remaining bit of Sanity...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Windmilling wrote:
ralsar wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:
for 1-2 players, do you think the proximity between core and expansion changes the need for buy 2 cores?

(assuming 2 cores are really needed for a "full game" experience)


. And likely it won't be all that greatly enhanced by having 2 core sets.


Unless you want to play with more than 2 players.


Don't you need two core sets even for two players? I would images some cards overlap between character decks and you would be restricted on em which you could use with only one core
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.