Hands in the Sea» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions after first play through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
plymouth
flag msg tools
Just received the game and was keen to get a solo play through of it to get the rules "down" before I attempted to teach it.

I have to say I found the rules initially a little obtuse, I guess a little wordy and not enough iconography for me. I have a few questions and apologies in advance if the answers were right in front of me ... I have looked and it wouldn't be the first time I have missed something obvious shake

1/ This is a really stupid one ... but what is gold for? I did not see any mention of its use as a currency in the rule book. Only the cost in silver is mentioned. I also could not see a ratio that was to be applied i.e. silver is 1 and gold 5 for instance. I fear I am being very stupid with this question!

2/ At the end of each round do you include your capital when counting in supply places for one silver each? I presumed you did, but as the supply point starts there it could be it supplies the other towns.

3/ Siege engine card. I do not understand the crossed sword icons on it. It has 1 + 2 crossed swords. I understand it has 1 strength in defense / field battles but is that 2 or 3 strength when attacking a fortified location?

4/ Libyan Cavalry. half strength in seiges. I understand the principle of this but does this mean you can play two cards for one action to gain a strength point (normally playing one card is one action) or you have to take 2 actions to play two of these cards to gain the 1 battle strength. If it is the latter I presume you lose the 1/2 strength if you can't add another to make it whole.

It must be the former for number 4, but it doesn't state you can play two cards for one action anywhere that I found.

5/ The colonist card. can you use this as a colonist symbol or just to collect 2 silver. I only thought as it was the colonist card you may be able to use it as a colonist symbol, but I presumed not!

Well that is enough questions for now, I am sure I will have plenty more. For a game that I have found extremely hard to learn from the rules, I am enjoying it immensely. I can see there is a great game there, I just need to get my mind around it and I am very eager to get cracking playing it correctly.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Stat
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wilts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only done a couple of solo play throughs myself, but here goes:

1) One gold = 5 silver. Page 4, next to the picture of a silver coin

2) Page 6 - 'one silver per in-supply city'. I understand that as cities only, so no silver for in-supply towns. Rome and Carthage start as cities, so as long as they haven't been raided down to town/unoccupied, I count them.

3) I read the siege engine icons as 'one strength in field battles or defending in a siege, but 3 strength (2+1) when attacking a fortified location'.

4) I couldn't find a clear answer in the rules on this either, so I've been playing it as follows:
a) Numidian cavalry gives + 1 strength when added to the fight
b) First time you add iberian or libyan cavalry, it has no effect (unless you trigger the combined arms bonus as a result, but that's a different issue). You get +1 strength when you subsequently add the other iberian/libyan cavalry, as you've now got two half-points.
c) But they all count at full strength when calculating cavalry superiority after the siege (so it might be worth adding only one of iberian/libyan for that?). I'm really not sure about this last bit, but it makes thematic sense to me...

5) I think that the colonist card can be used either as a colonist (for building warships, settling and upgrading locations) or for 2 silver; your choice at the moment you play it?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
plymouth
flag msg tools
Thanks Ed for the quick reply.

Cannot believe I missed the phrase stating 5 silver to 1 gold! shake At least I played it that way anyway.

2, 3 & 4 I played the same as you although with 4 I am still not completely sure.

Point 5 I played the colonist only for the ability to gain silver but it just felt wrong. Why else would he be called the colonist otherwise.

Thanks again for your clear answers, shame you are not closer we could have got in a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Ed is correct.
2) Ed is correct.
3) Ed is correct. This is explained more fully in the Companion Guide (5.2).
4) Ed is correct, except for sieges. The loser always selects the card that is lost in a siege. See "Battle Losses and Cavalry Superiority", second sentence.
5) Ed is correct. This was clarified in the "Errata and Clarifications" post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.