United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes yes, I know what you're going to say: It's your game, play however you want.

But the rulebooks, especially in the expansions, seem to stress the concept of there being Imperial Settlers tournaments, especially for the case of building your own Faction Decks.

Just out of curiosity -- are the special tiles and promos (Exploration, Storage, Council, the Dice Tower, the Watcher's Council card...) considered to be "tournament legal"?

Basically I'm asking because if I'm going to go out of my way to acquire these, and if they're not used in "Standard", then I might as well stick with the Open format and use all the cards when these tiles are in play.

Or.. to those of you who own any or all of these promos and multiple expansions, do you use them along with:
* the Standard format?
* the "Tournament" Standard Format (Standard but only base-set Common cards)?
* the Open format?
* Something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For something to be "tournament legal", a tournament must first exist.

Portal still doesn't know where they want to go with the game expansion/competitive-wise (that's taken from their latest q&a session), and all the rules for "tournaments" and "deckbuilding" in past rulebooks are just wild experiments (that's not from q&a, that's just me being bitter) that you can safely disregard, because:

a) they don't make much sense
b) they're silly
c) they contradict each other
d) they're awkward/cumbersome

But if you're really looking for a definite answer, my answer would be: no, of course they aren't. You shouldn't make something tournament legal, if there is no equal access to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, since every rulebook talks about "Tournament Rules", I assumed there was some kind of tournament scene going on and some people who wanted to follow these restrictions.

I don't plan on going to any Tournaments even if they exist, but I'm experimenting with deckbuilding and also want to use the promo tiles on my own table.

If what you're saying came out of a recent Q&A, then maybe the Aztec rulebook will have a new suggested deckbuilding option that sits somewhere between "Open" and "Standard Tournament".

But yeah, for now, I'll probably combine my own best attempts at deckbuiding with the use of the tiles to maximize the fun while trying to mitigate the chaos factor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.