Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game two battles were occuring simultaniously and one player had a number of cards in reserve, and a number of cards committed to bo th battles. Consiquently when they drew up to five cards at the end of their turn they had only just enough cards in their deck to do so. Since this was the Carthginian player it turned out the that just about every time they took a turn during the battles that the campaign event occured. This made me wonder what the protocol is if a player for some reason is unable to draw up to five cards. What happens then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooohhhh... can't wait to see what Dan says. I know he played around with the idea that if Carthage is unable to draw his hand size, he automatically loses. He seriously pondered that for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw up to as many cards as you can. There's no penalty for drawing less than your maximum hand size if you are unable to. Yes, this does mean you are going to have some very fast turns until at least one of those battles ends.

This kind of hyper thinning is almost certainly fatal for the Carthaginians in practice, because the Romans will get at least 2 actions before the next Campaign sequence. They should use these actions to expand (thus gaining VP) or to raid your locations (which you probably can't defend because your cards are all committed to battle or the Reserve).

In playtesting these kinds of games ended very fast (turn 7 or so) and always with a Carthaginian loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Oooohhhh... can't wait to see what Dan says. I know he played around with the idea that if Carthage is unable to draw his hand size, he automatically loses. He seriously pondered that for a long time.

I seriously contemplated adding this rule, but decided to let players learn the hard way why over thinning with Carthage can backfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably add a sentence to the end of the note on page 5:

"It is also possible that you might not be able to draw up to your maximum hand size because there aren't enough cards left in your Draw deck. In that case there is no penalty, just draw as many as you can."

Also keep in mind the note at the end of 4.1 that prevents you from entering into an infinite loop with the Campaign card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Stat
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wilts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
airjudden wrote:

I seriously contemplated adding this rule, but decided to let players learn the hard way why over thinning with Carthage can backfire.

D'accord!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.