Subject: Chat chit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an interesting article about English. The author claims we all use some unwritten rules, except they are written in his book. For example, he claims, “Adjectives in English absolutely have to be in this order: opinion-size-age-shape-colour-origin-material-purpose Noun. So you can have a lovely little old rectangular green French silver whittling knife. But if you mess with that word order in the slightest you’ll sound like a maniac. It’s an odd thing that every English speaker uses that list, but almost none of us could write it out.”

I'm not sure I agree, though some words must be kept apart, like green and silver, since together you'd probably read silver as a color and the pair as a particular shade of one. More generally, you have to make sure sequential words are taking as modifying the ending noun, not the subsequent adjective. So maybe, "A lovely old French little silver rectangular green whittling knife." Or am I a maniac?

He also notes it's always i-o or i-a: tick tock, clip clop, chit chat.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160908-the-language-rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
What a 'character'! HE should 'converse' with Watson and RESOLVE which "language" confounded THAT best!
sauron-Watson~""CHINESE`S!""
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
I wonder in what sheltered Lilly white established old upper crust city of fancy pants he came to this conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I wonder in what sheltered Lilly white established old upper crust city of fancy pants he came to this conclusion.

I'm usually not a fan of the obligatory response, but that was masterful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

London. His blog has some interesting stuff, and I did find the BBC article interesting even if I didn't agree with the adjective thing. Who knows: maybe that order is more enforced in England, though his thesis that "we don't know we know" the rule implies not.

Here's another interesting thing, the most common names in Europe:

So, a Ferrari is an iron smith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Perhaps some 'poached' "Ivory Tower" of 'faulty' "acumen"? Your *Duckage Surprise* may vary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Chat chit.... get banged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
“Adjectives in English absolutely have to be in this order: opinion-size-age-shape-colour-origin-material-purpose Noun.

I think if you try to load eight adjectives on a single noun you are torturing the language. And the order is bogus.

"A lovely old French little silver rectangular green whittling knife."

Whereas this is what they'd say on Antiques Roadshow:

"A little old French whittling knife, rectangular in shape, made of silver with a green handle, quite lovely, impaling a self-important linguist."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
Yo ho, me hearties!
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some experience dealing with this as an English teacher here in Korea. I would say that generally the opinion and color/origin/material parts are things we closely adhere to, but the stuff in between we tend to jumble up.

For example, we would say 'my brown leather jacket' not 'my leather brown jacket'. One example that many Koreans say is 'Korean traditional food'. I correct that to 'traditional Korean food' because it is Korean food that happens to be traditional, as opposed to traditional food that happens to be Korean.

It is not a very hard rule, but some combinations do sound a little funny, so there is a general acceptance of that sort of order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I suspect a small orange cheese baboon one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.