Hide
5 Posts

Taboo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sign - signal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Surfer
msg tools
Sign was a taboo word, and signal was used. I buzzed it, and everybody argued they were two different words. But they come from the same latin root, signum... Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Skysurfer80 wrote:
Sign was a taboo word, and signal was used. I buzzed it, and everybody argued they were two different words. But they come from the same latin root, signum... Opinions?

You want to argue about Latin grammar in the middle of one of the best word-association party games ever developed? You're wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
ousgg wrote:
Skysurfer80 wrote:

You want to argue about Latin grammar in the middle of one of the best word-association party games ever developed? You're wrong.

Agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the other comments: the fact that 2 different words happen to come from the same single root in a different language should not make them mutually taboo. "sign"/"signal" is not analogous to e.g. "book"/"bookstore" or "book"/"bookshelf", where the 2nd English word is directly built from the 1st English word.

If "car" was taboo, would you disallow "chariot" because they come from the same root?

If "host" was taboo, would you disallow "guest" because they (surprisingly!) come from the same root?

Cf.:
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/16818/term-for-s...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublet_%28linguistics%29
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Surfer
msg tools
Well there was no latin grammar argument on the spot, we disagreed but continued playing of course!

To me they are clearly different forms of the same word, and went to dictionaries to research further, out of curiosity, and what i saw sort of matched what i thought. But i was interested in taboo rules interpretations, and i see i take them in a more constrained sense than other people. Oh well, for me the more challenge, the more fun!!

Thanks for your opinions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.