Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I've never ordered from Amazon.com before, but I discovered that i can have free shipping if my order reaches a certain threshold. Had i discovered this sooner i would have saved a lot of money.... Nonetheless, I have one concern - are the products ok upon arrival? are they damaged during transportation? have you had any negative experience? Much appreciated!

*There is no FLGS in my country that I know of. I usually order from an online website which is amazing, but some games are pretty expensive..i could get 1 eldritch horror expansion + legendary aliens from amazon at the price i'd get legendary aliens from set store. so unfortunately i will have to switch to amazon for a while..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon is top level. No problems so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! it seems that my wallet is gonna be emptier now! but at least i will buy games at a fairer price
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
If I'm buying new, I order 90% of my stuff from Amazon. They usually have the lowest prices and free shipping on any order over $50 (within the US). Have never had any issues.

Their packaging is great, well padded in boxes, so even if outside box is beat up the game inside is fine. If there's ever an issue, they're pretty good about replacing the item and/or accepting returns.

I try to make sure the delivery is from amazon or the game producer itself though, and not a 3rd party seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel so stupid right now! I've always been wondering how so many BGG users have some really impressive collections, but at those prices even I could get some really cool games that i could not afford so far! To think that I spent $46 on Imperial Settlers when I could have gotten it for $33!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, a large majority of my purchases (not only games) are from Amazon.com and love it. I ended up going the Amazon Prime route a few years back and have never regretted it. Free 2 day shipping and a whole lot more...but not sure what is available in your country. Amazon is solid....I've even had great luck with 3rd party sellers as well. Amazon will make it right even if there is a problem with them.
[Edited for additional info....again]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you're buying "Fulfilled by Amazon" or from Amazon, or something. Do not buy from third party sellers, until you become comfortable with buying through Amazon. You can always ask for help here.

If you're buying books, Amazon no longer wraps the books in protective plastic. I have had some boardgame boxes arrived with a dent, but that's no different than after a few game nights. Amazon customer service is very good. Third party sellers, btw, often use bubble wrap for books and small items, which may result in some damage.

Eldritch Horror expansions are on your wishlist, so I did a quick search. Most of the expansions are sold by Fantasy Flight Games, so that's good. The Forgotten Lore shows Unknown, but, clicking its link, shows "Fulfilled by Amazon" so shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_15?url=search-alia...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I trust Amazon more than I trust just about any other site. They also make returning items or filing complaints super easy. I had something damaged in shipping once and they replaced it without question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I use Amazon UK all the time and they are excellent. They even let me return items when I've been a daft bat and ordered the wrong items!!! Excellent company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I almost exclusively shop online on amazon.com

The only worry I have is that they're rich and powerful and evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I have ordered almost every game in my collection from amazon. The only other site I usually use other than them is CoolStuffinc. Between the two I have been able to get almost everything, minus a couple games I had to buy from MiniatureMarket. Amazon is the way to go though, especially if you have a Prime membership, nothing like free 2 day shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Befor you get too excited about free shipping, check that it applies to international orders. (I'm yet to find anywhere that will ship to me for free (which is entirely understandable, given how much it actually costs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy a lot from Amazon but have moved to coolstuff and miniature market place for games. I find them cheaper. I have never had a damaged game from any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Ya I regularly check between amazon and coolstuff. Most of the time with the Prime shipping amazon is cheaper (although I do understand on the national side it is probably not the same) For the most part I have never had to order from anywhere but amazon or coolstuff. Just the very occasional game from elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, for multi-game orders where you can hit free shipping, CSI or MM are cheaper.

If you're only ordering 1 or two games, Amazon might be cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. In Canada, Amazon.ca is usually the most expensive option. For example, this morning Zhanguo was US$25 bucks on Amazon.com, but CAN$70+ on Amazon.ca.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to buy anything that comes in a box, or books that fit in one of their mailers. Never again buying a textbook or RPG from Amazon.

We have had very minor problems with a couple of game boxes getting slightly dinged, but that is shipping all the way to Australia with the last phase handled by neanderthal local mail workers. No complaints.

But book delivery from Amazon has been atrocious, with $100+ items shipped in loose fitting, unpadded bags. These were large hardcover volumes that do not fit in the standard fold over mailers. One arrived wrapped in cling-film with a mailing label (this was supposedly fulfilled by Amazon). Paperback orders have all been perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! In order to avoid potential damage, should I opt for gift wrapping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Thanks everyone! In order to avoid potential damage, should I opt for gift wrapping?

I would assume that is on the outside so I doubt it helps. Amazon's packaging is minimal, but I haven't really had an issue with it either. Actual OLGS, at least in the US, is where better packaging happens. Again, I have ordered a number of packages from Amazon, something like 115 orders from their Smile site alone where part of your purchase gets donated to a charity of your choice and can count not even on one hand any issues I have had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ion Iovan Arthur Codrut
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mb
Salut. Daca vei comanda de pe amazon.com vei plăti atât TVA cat si taxe vamale. Asta va face mai mult ca sigur nerentabilă scutirea de shipping (nu stiu daca amazon.com nu percepe absolut nicio suma de bani pentru shipping in România).

Poti incerca alternativ amazon.de sau site-uri precum milanspiele.de, respectiv philbertnet.com sa vezi daca gasesti ce te intereseaza.

Cat despre magazine de board games (FLGS) sunt cateva pe la noi - Red Goblin (Bucuresti si Cluj Napoca), Checkpoint (Cluj Napoca) si Lex (Iași). Daca nu ii stii, eu de cele mai multe ori cumpăr jocuri de la regatuljocurilor.ro.

In plus exista o comunitate destul de activa de pasionați de jocuri de societate pe forumboardgames.ro. Bafta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the free shipping at Amazon.com only applies to U.S. orders. I would try Amazon.de for Romania, you'll probably have better luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and if you order from outside the US, you'll Have to pay custom fees on orders over $24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Amazon for most of purchases now as well. I have had one problem with a game being damaged in shipping and they were quick to r place it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the free shipping at Amazon.com only applies to U.S. orders. I would try Amazon.de for Romania, you'll probably have better luck.

Yeah, was just going to say that... I really doubt they offer free shipping world-wide.

There are some options for that, however.

The Book Depository in the UK offers free world-wide shipping! Might want to check that one as well. They are also huge and I never had any problems ordering from them.

As for the packaging and shipping damage... really, don't worry about that!

The big shops have huge experience in packaging and there almost never are any problems. And if you have any, you will also get easy replacements. It's pretty much worry free.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithmeg wrote:
Befor you get too excited about free shipping, check that it applies to international orders. (I'm yet to find anywhere that will ship to me for free (which is entirely understandable, given how much it actually costs).

bookdepository.com ships for free to most of the world, including Romania, Australia, China, etc. Their selection of games is quite limited, though.

I think most Norwegian gamers have given up on Amazon, due to the high shipping costs, and are using other options, such as 365games.co.uk (£2.99 pr item to most of the world).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.